Thread: Fulton College Response To Professor Steven Jones's Statements Regarding WTC

Fulton College Response To Professor Steven Jones's Statements Regarding WTC

Fulton College Response to Professor Steven Jones’s Statements Regarding Collapse of World Trade Center

http://www.et.byu.edu/news_jones_statement.htm

11/29/2005

Brigham Young University has a policy of academic freedom that supports the pursuit and dissemination of knowledge and ideas. Through the academic process, ideas should be advanced, challenged, and debated by peer-review in credible venues. We believe in the integrity of the academic review process and that, when it is followed properly, peer-review is valuable for evaluating the validity of ideas and conclusions.

The University is aware that Professor Steven Jones's hypotheses and interpretations of evidence regarding the collapse of World Trade Center buildings are being questioned by a number of scholars and practitioners, including many of BYU's own faculty members. Professor Jones's department and college administrators are not convinced that his analyses and hypotheses have been submitted to relevant scientific venues that would ensure rigorous technical peer review. The structural engineering faculty in the Fulton College of Engineering and Technology do not support the hypotheses of Professor Jones.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

WhtieGuySaysThis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    Fulton College Response to Professor Steven Jones’s Statements Regarding Collapse of World Trade Center

http://www.et.byu.edu/

11/29/2005

Brigham Young University has a policy of academic freedom that supports the pursuit and dissemination of knowledge and ideas. Through the academic process, ideas should be advanced, challenged, and debated by peer-review in credible venues. We believe in the integrity of the academic review process and that, when it is followed properly, peer-review is valuable for evaluating the validity of ideas and conclusions.

The University is aware that Professor Steven Jones's hypotheses and interpretations of evidence regarding the collapse of World Trade Center buildings are being questioned by a number of scholars and practitioners, including many of BYU's own faculty members. Professor Jones's department and college administrators are not convinced that his analyses and hypotheses have been submitted to relevant scientific venues that would ensure rigorous technical peer review. The structural engineering faculty in the Fulton College of Engineering and Technology do not support the hypotheses of Professor Jones.
    Whoa...that is messed up.

911Eyewitness Guest
    Well, it certainly seems like business as usual. Remember who funds the University and he who holds the gold holds the eye.

Dazinith from 911blogger.com was looking for you... FYI.

MamaSez Guest
    BYU/Fulton College took down that statement from their website. Notice it says,
    "Brigham Young University has a policy of academic freedom that supports the pursuit and dissemination of knowledge and ideas. Through the academic process, ideas should be advanced, challenged, and debated by peer-review in credible venues. We believe in the integrity of the academic review process and that, when it is followed properly, peer-review is valuable for evaluating the validity of ideas and conclusions."

It said that BYU's College of Engineering didn't support his hypothesis--but it didn't say the University didn't. And it didn't say he had to stop--actually, they seem to encourage the paper being submitted to more universities for more peer review... Sounds to me like they temporarily gave in to the Engineering College's push for "equal space," more than anything... Or perhaps they have a big donor who came out of engineering... Interesting, huh?

Very... I also noticed how Greg Syzmanski wrote that it was the Bush Administration who pushed for them to come out with the statement in the first place, and that was not the case... at least according to Jones.

As of right now... the statement is still there?

I think that rumor that it was taken down is just that... a rumor... because as of right now, 11/30/2005 at 4:32 EST... it's still there.

MamaSez Guest
    I'm sorry--my mistake when I posted it. But I just went to BYU.edu and there's no statement there, nor on their main news page. My point was, nonetheless,

"It said that BYU's College of Engineering didn't support his hypothesis--but it didn't say the University didn't. And it didn't say he had to stop--actually, they seem to encourage the paper being submitted to more universities for more peer review... "

I simply don't think it's unexpected or unreasonable, that's all. Organizations like universities exist because they get money from people. I don't like it, but it's real. If we want to get information out to people, we have to find a way to shut down the money-based system of control... A topic for another discussion!