Thread: Dick Cheney's Halliburton Stock Options Rose In Value 3281% In One Year

Dick Cheney's Halliburton Stock Options Rose In Value 3281% In One Year

Cheney's lucrative Halliburton ties

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/5506.html

(Gold9472: Yes, that says 3281%... Thanks to frindevil for the story...)

October 11, 2005

About two years ago, Dick Cheney told a national television audience, "[S]ince I left Halliburton to become George Bush's vice president, I've severed all my ties with the company, gotten rid of all my financial interests," Cheney said. "I have no financial interest in Halliburton of any kind and haven't had now for over three years." Even at the time, the claim wasn't true.

A non-partisan congressional report requested by Sen. Frank Lautenberg's (D-N.J.) office showed that Cheney still has substantial financial interests in Halliburton, including lucrative deferred compensation and more than 433,000 stock options. But instead of acknowledging the ties divesting himself from his former company, Cheney denied everything.

Lautenberg, to his enormous credit, has stuck with this story, and issued a report today explaining that the value of Cheney's Halliburton stock options rose in value 3281% in one year.

An analysis released today by the Office of Senator Frank R. Lautenberg reveals that Vice President Cheney's Halliburton stock options have increased in value 3,281 percent in one year. The stock options, which were worth $241,498 one year ago are now valued at $8,165,489.07. In light of the surging value of Vice President Cheney's holdings, Senator Lautenberg reiterated his call for the Vice President to forfeit his continuing financial interest in the Halliburton Co (HAL). Vice President Cheney continues to hold 433,333 Halliburton stock options and receives almost $200,000 a year in deferred salary from Halliburton.

"As Halliburton's fortunes rise, so do the Vice President's, and that is wrong," said Senator Lautenberg. "Halliburton has already raked in more than $10 billion from the Bush-Cheney Administration for work in Iraq, and they were awarded some of the first Katrina contracts. It is unseemly for the Vice President to continue to benefit from this company at the same time his Administration funnels billions of dollars to it. The Vice President should sever his financial ties to Halliburton once and for all."

Given the circumstances, that seems like a reasonable suggestion.

According to the Vice President's Federal Financial Disclosure forms, he holds the following Halliburton stock options:
    • 100,000 shares at $54.5000 (vested), expire 12-03-07
    • 33,333 shares at $28.1250 (vested), expire 12-02-08
    • 300,000 shares at $39.5000 (vested), expire 12-02-09
    This continues to be a political problem for Cheney that can be easily resolved. Cheney could simply do what he claims to have already done: sever his ties and remove his financial interests from the company. Considering Halliburton's lucrative government contracts, and the dubious conditions surrounding the deals, this should be a no-brainer for the White House.

The longer they wait, the more Lautenberg is going to make Cheney look bad.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

MagickMuffin Guest

Hallibuton + Cheney = Love Baby

I have been curious about a interview Cheney had back when Halliburton was being investigated about them "Cooking the Books". Cheney actually bragged about Halliburton's "Creative Accounting", there has been no follow up to this admittace of wrong doing....

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    That's it! I'm gonna work for the republican party.

Quote Originally Posted by MagickMuffin
    I have been curious about a interview Cheney had back when Halliburton was being investigated about them "Cooking the Books". Cheney actually bragged about Halliburton's "Creative Accounting", there has been no follow up to this admittace of wrong doing....
    Do you have a link for that?

bump

AuGmENTor Guest
    How is this not considered insider trading? I mean, if you KNOW we are going to war with someone, and you know there are no-bid contracts to be had, isn't it fucked up (if not illegal) to use that information to gain personal wealth?

Sounds sane to me.

bump