Thread: 'I Saw Papers That Show US Knew Al-Qa'ida Would Attack Cities With Airplanes'

'I Saw Papers That Show US Knew Al-Qa'ida Would Attack Cities With Airplanes'

Whistleblower the White House wants to silence speaks to The Independent

http://web.archive.org/web/200404052...&host=3&dir=70

by Andrew Buncombe in Washington
    Published on Friday, April 2, 2004 by the lndependent/UK

A former translator for the FBI with top-secret security clearance says she has provided information to the panel investigating the 11 September attacks which proves senior officials knew of al-Qa'ida's plans to attack the US with aircraft months before the strikes happened.

She said the claim by the National Security Adviser, Condoleezza Rice, that there was no such information was "an outrageous lie".

Sibel Edmonds said she spent more than three hours in a closed session with the commission's investigators providing information that was circulating within the FBI in the spring and summer of 2001 suggesting that an attack using aircraft was just months away and the terrorists were in place. The Bush administration, meanwhile, has sought to silence her and has obtained a gagging order from a court by citing the rarely used "state secrets privilege".

She told The Independent yesterday: "I gave [the commission] details of specific investigation files, the specific dates, specific target information, specific managers in charge of the investigation. I gave them everything so that they could go back and follow up. This is not hearsay. These are things that are documented. These things can be established very easily. She added: "There was general information about the time-frame, about methods to be used but not specifically about how they would be used and about people being in place and who was ordering these sorts of terror attacks. There were other cities that were mentioned. Major cities with skyscrapers."

The accusations from Mrs Edmonds, 33, a Turkish-American who speaks Azerbaijani, Farsi, Turkish and English, will reignite the controversy over whether the administration ignored warnings about al-Qa'ida. That controversy was sparked most recently by Richard Clarke, a former counter-terrorism official, who has accused the administration of ignoring his warnings.

The issue what the administration knew and when is central to the investigation by the 9/11 Commission, which has been hearing testimony in public and private from government officials, intelligence officials and secret sources. Earlier this week, the White House made a U-turn when it said that Ms Rice would appear in public before the commission to answer questions. Mr Bush and his deputy, Dick Cheney, will also be questioned in a closed-door session.

Mrs Edmonds, 33, says she gave her evidence to the commission in a specially constructed "secure" room at its offices in Washington on 11 February. She was hired as a translator for the FBI's Washington field office on 13 September 2001, just two days after the al-Qa'ida attacks. Her job was to translate documents and recordings from FBI wire-taps.

She said it was clear there was sufficient information during the spring and summer of 2001 to indicate terrorists were planning an attack. "Most of what I told the commission 90 per cent of it related to the investigations that I was involved in or just from working in the department. Two hundred translators side by side, you get to see and hear a lot of other things as well."

"President Bush said they had no specific information about 11 September and that is accurate but only because he said 11 September," she said. There was, however, general information about the use of airplanes and that an attack was just months away.

To try to refute Mr Clarke's accusations, Ms Rice said the administration did take steps to counter al-Qa'ida. But in an opinion piece in The Washington Post on 22 March, Ms Rice wrote: "Despite what some have suggested, we received no intelligence that terrorists were preparing to attack the homeland using airplanes as missiles, though some analysts speculated that terrorists might hijack planes to try and free US-held terrorists."

Mrs Edmonds said that by using the word "we", Ms Rice told an "outrageous lie". She said: "Rice says 'we' not 'I'. That would include all people from the FBI, the CIA and DIA [Defense Intelligence Agency]. I am saying that is impossible."

It is impossible at this stage to verify Mrs Edmonds' claims. However, some senior US senators testified to her credibility in 2002 when she went public with separate allegations relating to alleged incompetence and corruption within the FBI's translation department.

© 2004 Independent Digital (UK) Ltd
    This a reposting especially relevant in light of the recently divulged 9/11 Commission 'Monograph' discussing the multitude of detailed warnings recieved by multiple agencies.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

bump

911=inside job Guest
    poor lady... this shit is so fucked... im sick of 911 and all these lies...

Quote Originally Posted by 911=inside job
    poor lady... this shit is so fucked... im sick of 911 and all these lies...
    Yeah... and she's been VERY loud lately, and STILL nothing. Barely any media coverage.

911=inside job Guest
    i know, its bullshit...

gold im listening to 1984 on cd while i work right now and dude you should read it again... please... it is so how they are controling us... you must read it....

Quote Originally Posted by 911=inside job
    i know, its bullshit...

gold im listening to 1984 on cd while i work right now and dude you should read it again... please... it is so how they are controling us... you must read it....
    And you should read, "The Grand Chessboard" which is almost like 1984, but from the opposite direction. As opposed to a prediction about what might happen, "The Grand Chessboard" tells you what will happen.

bump

bump

royster Guest
    bump.

bump