Thread: What Comes First, The Chicken Or The Egg?

What Comes First, The Chicken Or The Egg?

July 21, 2001: US Official Threatens Possible Military Action Against Taliban by October if Pipeline Is Not Pursued Niaz Naik. [Source: Calcutta Telegraph]
    Thanks to www.cooperativeresearch.org

Three former American officials, Tom Simons (former US Ambassador to Pakistan), Karl Inderfurth (former Deputy Secretary of State for South Asian Affairs), and Lee Coldren (former State Department expert on South Asia) meet with Pakistani and Russian intelligence officers in a Berlin hotel. [Salon, 9/16/2002] This is the third of a series of back-channel conferences called "brainstorming on Afghanistan." Taliban representatives sat in on previous meetings, but boycotted this one due to worsening tensions. However, the Pakistani ISI relays information from the meeting to the Taliban. [Guardian, 10/22/2001] At the meeting, Coldren passes on a message from Bush officials. He later says, "I think there was some discussion of the fact that the United States was so disgusted with the Taliban that they might be considering some military action." [Guardian, 10/26/2001] Accounts vary, but former Pakistani Foreign Secretary Niaz Naik later says he is told by senior American officials at the meeting that military action to overthrow the Taliban in Afghanistan is planned to "take place before the snows started falling in Afghanistan, by the middle of October at the latest." The goal is to kill or capture both bin Laden and Taliban leader Mullah Omar, topple the Taliban regime, and install a transitional government of moderate Afghans in its place. Uzbekistan and Russia would also participate. Naik also says, "It was doubtful that Washington would drop its plan even if bin Laden were to be surrendered immediately by the Taliban." [BBC, 10/18/2001] One specific threat made at this meeting is that the Taliban can choose between "carpets of bombs" "an invasion" or "carpets of gold" "the pipeline." [Brisard and Dasquie, 2002] Naik contends that Tom Simons made the "carpets" statement. Simons claims, "It's possible that a mischievous American participant, after several drinks, may have thought it smart to evoke gold carpets and carpet bombs. Even Americans can't resist the temptation to be mischievous." Naik and the other American participants deny that the pipeline was an issue at the meeting. [Salon, 9/16/2002]
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Ignatius Riley Guest
    Good find, Gold. The implications are huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius Riley
    Good find, Gold. The implications are huge.
    Not really... this has been known for a long time, but I wanted to have it on my site. Links and everything...

Not really regarding "Good Find".

Ignatius Riley Guest
    Yeah, well, you're ahead of the pack in my books on this. You asked me on another thread about specific moles of the shadow gov't:

Karl Inderfurth (former Deputy Secretary of State for South Asian Affairs), and Lee Coldren (former State Department expert on South Asia)

We need to get our hands on ol' Karl here and get some answers from him. We'll rely on CIA handbooks to determine ways to make the mole talk.

bump