Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Have Challenged The Owner Of 911myths.com To An Online Debate

I Have Challenged The Owner Of 911myths.com To An Online Debate

mike@911myths.com

Hi Michael.

I've been seeing mention of your site a lot lately, and it occurred to me that maybe it would be a good idea for us to have an online debate. Just the two of us. All I ask is that it take place on my board, www.yourbbsucks.com. The topic of the debate will be, "Was 9/11 An Inside Job?"

What do you say? You will not be ridiculed or chastized. It will be an open debate between just the two of us.

Let me know what you think.

Sincerely,

Jon Gold
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

somebigguy Guest
    Interesting, lemme know if you get a response.

Quote Originally Posted by somebigguy
    Interesting, lemme know if you get a response.
    Nah, I wouldn't do that.

Jonathan,

How would an online debate benefit anyone? It's already easy for anyone to see what I think on any particular issue: go to the site and look it up. All that would happen in a debate is I'd have to summarise things, condense arguments, and while that might appeal to some ("find out everything I believe in 500 words") I don't think it's a good idea. These are complex issues, there's no getting away from that, and to consider them properly you need all the information. Not simply a shortened debating list.

This is especially problematic in any form of controlled debate. It would be very easy for you to say, for instance, "there are too many oddities and unlikely coincidences over 9/11: what about the hijackers who are reportedly still alive, the explosions heard at the WTC, the mobile calls that couldn't possibly have been made?". Thus you've posted less than 40 words, but on the site I've got thousands of words discussing these very issues. And arguably need even more. If we followed any conventional rules about limiting size of posts then I would be permanently constrained, never able to properly answer questions you might raise. And if we didn't, if it was okay for me to post vast answers, then again, why not just go to the site and read the full text?

And then as the arguments get shortened to fit the format, so other things rise in importance to fill their place: who's the most confident, the best at summing up, has the prettiest turn of phrase, essentially superficial things that have nothing to do with whether you're right or not, and are more about presentation. Maybe I would do well at these, maybe I wouldn't, but either way, they colour the result. And to me that's a problem, because the full arguments should be all that matter. Finally, we'd come to the result. What might it be, what would we achieve? As I said, you'd inevitably be able to raise more questions than I could answer, not least because I'm far from having all the answers anyway.

Therefore anyone who requires me to answer every single question you might pose will find that I do not, and inevitably conclude that I haven't convinced them. I see no way in which such an exercise would change anyone's mind, or achieve anything of any significance at all, and for that and these other reasons I'm afraid I'll have to decline your offer.

However, let me also say this.

As I said earlier, if someone wants to find out what I think, then they can just go to the site and read about it.

If you, or anyone else wants to know what I think about an issue that maybe isn't on the site, or only briefly covered, then they can email me and ask. I reply to just about everyone (only the more abusive one-liners get binned).

If you, or anyone else, wants to contend that I'm making a misleading case somewhere, then email me and tell me why. If we can come to an agreement (which has happened before) then I'll amend the site; if I disagree but feel there's a case for showing people that side of an argument, then I'll happily link to a site that covers it.

And if you, or anyone else, wants to debate a particular point, then again, just send me an email and I'll respond. I've no problem with that, as long as you're able to stay civil. (Including lots of smears or personal attacks gets you less attention, not more).

And if you, or anyone else, wanted to reduce their debating ambitions to specific points rather than all of 9/11 in one go, email me about these, and publish the results on their site, then I'd have no objection. Although it would be polite if you told me you were going to do that first.

I'm not worried about debating people, then -- I do it all the time. However, I believe trying to condense everything into one "Inside job: yes or no?" debate is unrealistic, and will achieve nothing, and so prefer to carry on with email discussions as they arise. Hope you can accept that.

Regards,

Mike Williams

Michael,

I appreciate you getting back to me, but I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed. The purpose of me challenging you to a debate was not to educate myself. Lord knows I'm not the smartest person in the world, but when it comes to 9/11, I can hold my own. The purpose of me challenging you to a debate was because I often see your site referenced when people try to silence people within the 9/11 Truth Movement, and quite honestly, I wanted to take that option away from them. If you feel strongly enough about your opinion, and think you have enough facts to dispute the claims of the 911 Truth Movement, then essentially, you should welcome a debate.

My offer still stands.

Sincerely,

Jon Gold

somebigguy Guest
    Well, just pick one specific point, email it to him like he suggests, tell him you're posting the results, then post it.

Chris Guest
    you should have known the coward wouldnt dare debate you. his kind dont do debates.

Quote Originally Posted by somebigguy
    Well, just pick one specific point, email it to him like he suggests, tell him you're posting the results, then post it.
    You don't seem to understand... I don't want to pick him apart point by point... I want to take him out once and for all. I'm personally tired of seeing his site posted everywhere.

This isn't a fucking game... know what I mean? He wants to create a site that, to the newcomer, "debunks" what people in the 9/11 Truth Movement are saying, then I'm going to do everything within my power to take away any credibility he may have.

I figured a debate between the two of us would be the easiest way to accomplish that.