Thread: The Vatican: Don't Read The DaVinci Code

The Vatican: Don't Read The DaVinci Code

Cardinal's plea: Don't read 'The Da Vinci Code'
    Novel's success is proof of 'anti-Catholic' prejudice, he says

The Associated Press

Updated: 8:08 a.m. ET March 16, 2005 VATICAN CITY - If you’re not among the millions who have already read “The Da Vinci Code,” an Italian cardinal has a plea for you: Don’t read it and don’t buy it.

Genoa Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, who previously was a high-ranking official of the Vatican’s office on doctrinal orthodoxy, told Vatican Radio on Tuesday that the runaway success of the Dan Brown novel is proof of “anti-Catholic” prejudice.

Allegations in the novel that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and has descendants have outraged many Christians and have been dismissed by historians and theologians.

“The distribution strategy has been absolutely exceptional marketing, even at Catholic bookstores — and I’ve already complained about the Catholic bookshops which, for profit motives, have stacks of this book,” said Bertone, who has been mentioned as a possible successor to Pope John Paul II.

“And then there’s that strategy of persuasion — that one isn’t an adult Christian if you don’t read this book. Thus my appeal is: Don’t read and don’t buy” the book.

44 languages
    Asked about commentary that the book’s success is “only further proof of the fact that anti-Catholicism is the last acceptable prejudice,” the cardinal exclaimed. “It’s the truth.”

“There’s a great anti-Catholic prejudice,” Bertone said. “I ask myself if a similar book was written, full of lies about Buddha, Mohammed, or, even, for example, if a novel came out which manipulated all the history of the Holocaust or of the Shoah, what would have happened?”

In response, book publisher Doubleday said: “The ideas put forth in ’The Da Vinci Code’ have been circulating for centuries; this novel explores them in an accessible work of fiction. Doubleday certainly respects Cardinal Bertone, the Vatican and their desire to clarify any factual errors they feel may have been made in ’The Da Vinci Code’.”

“The Da Vinci Code” was published two years ago this month and is available in 44 languages. Booksellers expect the novel to remain a best seller well into this year.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

911=inside job Guest
    everyone should read this book.....

danceyogamom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    Cardinal's plea: Don't read 'The Da Vinci Code'
    Novel's success is proof of 'anti-Catholic' prejudice, he says

The Associated Press

Updated: 8:08 a.m. ET March 16, 2005 VATICAN CITY - If you’re not among the millions who have already read “The Da Vinci Code,” an Italian cardinal has a plea for you: Don’t read it and don’t buy it.

Genoa Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, who previously was a high-ranking official of the Vatican’s office on doctrinal orthodoxy, told Vatican Radio on Tuesday that the runaway success of the Dan Brown novel is proof of “anti-Catholic” prejudice.

Allegations in the novel that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and has descendants have outraged many Christians and have been dismissed by historians and theologians.

“The distribution strategy has been absolutely exceptional marketing, even at Catholic bookstores — and I’ve already complained about the Catholic bookshops which, for profit motives, have stacks of this book,” said Bertone, who has been mentioned as a possible successor to Pope John Paul II.

“And then there’s that strategy of persuasion — that one isn’t an adult Christian if you don’t read this book. Thus my appeal is: Don’t read and don’t buy” the book.

44 languages
    Asked about commentary that the book’s success is “only further proof of the fact that anti-Catholicism is the last acceptable prejudice,” the cardinal exclaimed. “It’s the truth.”

“There’s a great anti-Catholic prejudice,” Bertone said. “I ask myself if a similar book was written, full of lies about Buddha, Mohammed, or, even, for example, if a novel came out which manipulated all the history of the Holocaust or of the Shoah, what would have happened?”

In response, book publisher Doubleday said: “The ideas put forth in ’The Da Vinci Code’ have been circulating for centuries; this novel explores them in an accessible work of fiction. Doubleday certainly respects Cardinal Bertone, the Vatican and their desire to clarify any factual errors they feel may have been made in ’The Da Vinci Code’.”

“The Da Vinci Code” was published two years ago this month and is available in 44 languages. Booksellers expect the novel to remain a best seller well into this year.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    yeah ... ask the cardinals about the Gospel of Thomas. Or the Gospel of Martha - then watch them squirm!

Quote Originally Posted by danceyogamom
    yeah ... ask the cardinals about the Gospel of Thomas. Or the Gospel of Martha - then watch them squirm!
    Um, can I ask you about the Gospels of Thomas and Martha?

danceyogamom Guest
    Um, can I ask you about the Gospels of Thomas and Martha?
    When the church was becoming a more cohesive entity, they went through all the gospels different apostles/scholars wrote in order to create the new testament. They deliberately left out several becase they did not fit into the church's vision.

this isn't such an unusual practice - people pick and choose ideals all the time (and look at how many interpretations of Christianity there are) ...

but the Gospel of Thomas specifically quotes Jesus as saying how not important the church itself is ... but the community of believers and how we treat each other.

I'd have to refresh my memory on my specific sources ... but that is the basic jist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by danceyogamom
    When the church was becoming a more cohesive entity, they went through all the gospels different apostles/scholars wrote in order to create the new testament. They deliberately left out several becase they did not fit into the church's vision.

this isn't such an unusual practice - people pick and choose ideals all the time (and look at how many interpretations of Christianity there are) ...

but the Gospel of Thomas specifically quotes Jesus as saying how not important the church itself is ... but the community of believers and how we treat each other.

I'd have to refresh my memory on my specific sources ... but that is the basic jist of it.
    I love the way you write.

danceyogamom Guest
    I love the way you write.
    thank you