Thread: Cheney Says He Won't Resign, Will Serve Out Term

Cheney Says He Won't Resign, Will Serve Out Term

Cheney says he won't resign, will serve out term

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060319/pl_nm/cheney_dc_1

(Gold9472: Oh we'll just see about that.)

Sun Mar 19, 3:13 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Vice President Dick Cheney, a lightning rod for criticism about administration policies, on Sunday rejected the notion of resigning and said he would serve out his term.

"I made sure both in 2000 and 2004 that the president had other options. I mean, I didn't ask for this job. I didn't campaign for it. I got drafted," Cheney said on CBS television's "Face The Nation."

Being part of the administration was a highlight of his career, Cheney said. "I've now been elected to a second term. I'll serve out my term," he said.

Cheney has been criticized for the Iraq war and seeking to exempt the CIA from a torture ban, among other issues.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has said he twice offered his resignation to President George W. Bush during the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal and that the president declined to accept it.

With Bush's public approval ratings at the lowest of his presidency, there has been speculation about a possible shake-up at the White House.

"The president hasn't indicated he plans to make any changes. If he does and when he does, I'm sure he'll announce it," Cheney said.

The vice president, who is often portrayed by satirists as the real power at the White House, said his role is to advise the president.

"I don't run anything. I'm not in charge of the White House. I'm not in charge of the Defense Department, as I once was, or a congressman from Wyoming," Cheney said.

Cheney reiterated that he has no plans to run for president, as previous vice presidents have done.

"I made it clear from the outset that I'm not a candidate for president. I won't run for president," he said. "I've been very, very firm on that."
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

AuGmENTor Guest
    Looks like he's gonna get away with it...