Thread: Bush Signs Renewal Of Patriot Act Into Law

Bush Signs Renewal Of Patriot Act Into Law

Bush signs renewal of Patriot Act into law

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?se...rld&id=3977744

(Gold9472: "After a long batle with Congress" over what? When to pass this illegal law? If I were every American, I would be extremely pissed off right now. If you remember correctly, they never read the original Patriot Act when it was passed. They've had 5 years to read the original as well as the Patriot Act II. In other words, they've had time to familiarize themselves with this law that destroys the Constitution, and they still chose to pass it.)

(Washington -AP, March 9, 2006) - After a long battle with Congress that went down to the wire, President Bush signed a renewal of the USA Patriot Act on Thursday, a day before 16 major provisions of the old law expire.

Bush said the Patriot Act is vital to win the war on terror and protect Americans. He recalled the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and said the country is still at war.

"We saw the terrorists' destructive vision for us when they killed nearly 3,000 men, women and children," Bush said. "In the face of this ruthless threat, our nation has made a clear choice - we will confront this mortal danger, we will stay on the offensive and we're not going to wait to be attacked again."

Bush's signature came less than 48 hours after the House passed the legislation, ending several months of debate on Capitol Hill over how to balance Americans' right to privacy with a need to foil potential terrorist threats. Political battles over the legislation forced Congress to twice extend the expiration date of the Patriot Act.

"The Patriot Act has accomplished exactly what it was designed to do," Bush said during a signing ceremony in the White House East Room. "It has helped us detect terrorist cells, disrupt terrorist plots and save American lives."

Republicans want to take the law into the upcoming midterm elections to show they are acting to protect national security.

The legislation renews the expiring provisions of the original Patriot Act, including one that lets federal officials obtain "tangible items," such as business records, from libraries and bookstores, in connection with foreign intelligence and international terrorism investigations.

Other provisions clarify that foreign intelligence or counterintelligence officers should share information obtained as part of a criminal investigation with counterparts in domestic law enforcement agencies.

Yet another provision is designed to strengthen port security by imposing strict punishments on crew members who impede or mislead law enforcement officers trying to board their ships.

To get the legislation renewed, Bush was forced to accept new curbs on the Patriot Act's powers.

These new civil liberties protections for the first time say explicitly that people who receive subpoenas granted under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act for library, medical, computer and other records can challenge a gag order in court.

The compromise, crafted by Sen. John Sununu, R-N.H., also removes a requirement that a person who receives a National Security Letter provide the FBI with the name of an attorney they have consulted. These letters are subpoenas for financial and electronic records that can be issued without consulting a judge.

Thirdly, the Sununu compromise clarifies that libraries in most cases are not subject to these letters.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

EminemsRevenge Guest
    Among whites here in America, the political teams are no longer divided into Democrats and Republicans. The whites who are now struggling for control of the American political throne are divided into "liberal" and "conservative" camps. The white liberals from both parties cross party lines to work together toward the same goal, and white conservatives from both parties do likewise.

The white liberal differs from the white conservative only in one way: the liberal is more deceitful than the conservative. The liberal is more hypocritical than the conservative.

Malcolm X got censured for saying this over forty years ago, but the song remains the same

I'm a fucking human being who knows that the Government of the country I happen to live in killed other human beings who lived in the same country I do. There is right and there is wrong. Period. Fuck the liberal, conservative labels. I'm a human being, period.

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Does the Patriot Act only apply to terrorism cases or everything?

Everything.

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Shit!!!!!

jschurchin Guest
    You know I never thought I would say this but, I am ASHAMED to be an AMERICAN.

FUCK YOU GEORGE BUSH.

I want my MOTHERFUCKING country back.

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    I'm with you. Fuck this war, fuck Bush, fuck this whole administration, fuck the govn't, fuck system, and fuck the troops too. And while we're at it, fuck the world!!!!

beltman713 Guest
    I finally finished watching that Steven E. Jones video last night, very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by beltman713
    I finally finished watching that Steven E. Jones video last night, very informative.
    The lecture?