Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was The Tsunami A Sign From God?

Was The Tsunami A Sign From God?

I've been hearing a lot of "hoo-ha" lately about how Christian Fundamentalists are stating that the Tsunami was a "Sign From God", essentially vindicating their belief that the Muslim religions are "Evil".

Thoughts on those %@$^@#$%^ individuals?
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

danceyogamom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    I've been hearing a lot of "hoo-ha" lately about how Christian Fundamentalists are stating that the Tsunami was a "Sign From God", essentially vindicating their belief that the Muslim religions are "Evil".

Thoughts on those %@$^@#$%^ individuals?
    I find it rather odd to make it about the Christian God being against Muslims, since Thailand is almost entirely a Buddist country ...

Quote Originally Posted by danceyogamom
    I find it rather odd to make it about the Christian God being against Muslims, since Thailand is almost entirely a Buddist country ...

Countries Hit By Tsunami/Death Tolls/Religious Affiliations

Indonesia
    111,171 people died, while more than 127,000 others remain missing. The exact number of victims will probably never be known. The number of homeless is estimated at 800,000.

Muslim 88%, Protestant 5%, Roman Catholic 3%, Hindu 2%, Buddhist 1%, other 1% (1998)

Sri Lanka
    Toll: At least 31,000 people are known to have died, and thousands more are missing. The number of homeless people is put at between 800,000 and one million.

Buddhist 70%, Hindu 15%, Christian 8%, Muslim 7% (1999)

India's South East Coast
    Toll: More than 8,800 people are confirmed dead in mainland India, 7,968 of them in Tamil Nadu and almost 600 in Pondicherry (see below for data on the Andaman and Nicobar islands). Thousands more are still missing. At least 140,000 Indians, mostly from fishing families, are in relief centres.

Hindu 81.3%, Muslim 12%, Christian 2.3%, Sikh 1.9%, other groups including Buddhist, Jain, Parsi 2.5% (2000)*

*I could only find India

India's Andaman And Nicobar Islands
    Toll: At least 1,894 of the islands' 400,000 people are confirmed dead and more than 5,500 are missing - 4,500 from Katchall island alone.

Hindu 81.3%, Muslim 12%, Christian 2.3%, Sikh 1.9%, other groups including Buddhist, Jain, Parsi 2.5% (2000)*

*I could only find India

Thailand
    Toll: More than 5,300 are confirmed dead. More than 1,700 foreigners from a total of 36 countries are among the dead.

Buddhism 95%, Muslim 3.8%, Christianity 0.5%, Hinduism 0.1%, other 0.6% (1991)

Maldives
    Toll: At least 82 people have died and 26 are missing. About 12,500 have been displaced.

Sunni Muslim

Malaysia
    Toll: At least 68 people are confirmed dead.

Muslim, Buddhist, Daoist, Hindu, Christian, Sikh; note - in addition, Shamanism is practiced in East Malaysia

Burma
    Toll: Burma's military junta has put the death toll at 59, but the World Food Programme (WFP) says this may be an underestimate. One WFP employee found 200 households where at least one person was missing. Hundreds of Burmese migrants workers living in Thailand are also thought to have died.

Buddhist 89%, Christian 4% (Baptist 3%, Roman Catholic 1%), Muslim 4%, animist 1%, other 2%

Bangladesh
    Toll: Two people have been reported dead in Bangladesh.

Muslim 83%, Hindu 16%, other 1% (1998)

Somalia
    Toll: Between 150 and 200 Somalis are thought to have died, with thousands more homeless and many fishermen still unaccounted for. As many as 30,000 people may have been displaced.

Sunni Muslim

Kenya
    Toll: One person drowned in Kenya.

Protestant 45%, Roman Catholic 33%, indigenous beliefs 10%, Muslim 10%, other 2%

note: a large majority of Kenyans are Christian, but estimates for the percentage of the population that adheres to Islam or indigenous beliefs vary widely

Tanzania
    Toll: Ten people were killed in Tanzania.

mainland - Christian 30%, Muslim 35%, indigenous beliefs 35%; Zanzibar - more than 99% Muslim

Seychelles
    Toll: One person was killed in the Seychelles.

Roman Catholic 86.6%, Anglican 6.8%, other Christian 2.5%, other 4.1%

Sources
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html (I knew that would come in handy)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/4126019.stm

danceyogamom Guest

Countries Hit By Tsunami/Death Tolls/Religious Affiliations

Indonesia
    111,171 people died, while more than 127,000 others remain missing. The exact number of victims will probably never be known. The number of homeless is estimated at 800,000.

Muslim 88%, Protestant 5%, Roman Catholic 3%, Hindu 2%, Buddhist 1%, other 1% (1998)

Sri Lanka
    Toll: At least 31,000 people are known to have died, and thousands more are missing. The number of homeless people is put at between 800,000 and one million.

Buddhist 70%, Hindu 15%, Christian 8%, Muslim 7% (1999)

India's South East Coast
    Toll: More than 8,800 people are confirmed dead in mainland India, 7,968 of them in Tamil Nadu and almost 600 in Pondicherry (see below for data on the Andaman and Nicobar islands). Thousands more are still missing. At least 140,000 Indians, mostly from fishing families, are in relief centres.

*I could only find India

India's Andaman And Nicobar Islands
    Toll: At least 1,894 of the islands' 400,000 people are confirmed dead and more than 5,500 are missing - 4,500 from Katchall island alone.

*I could only find India

Thailand
    Toll: More than 5,300 are confirmed dead. More than 1,700 foreigners from a total of 36 countries are among the dead.

Buddhism 95%, Muslim 3.8%, Christianity 0.5%, Hinduism 0.1%, other 0.6% (1991)

Maldives
    Toll: At least 82 people have died and 26 are missing. About 12,500 have been displaced.

Sunni Muslim

Malaysia
    Toll: At least 68 people are confirmed dead.

Muslim, Buddhist, Daoist, Hindu, Christian, Sikh; note - in addition, Shamanism is practiced in East Malaysia

Burma
    Toll: Burma's military junta has put the death toll at 59, but the World Food Programme (WFP) says this may be an underestimate. One WFP employee found 200 households where at least one person was missing. Hundreds of Burmese migrants workers living in Thailand are also thought to have died.

Buddhist 89%, Christian 4% (Baptist 3%, Roman Catholic 1%), Muslim 4%, animist 1%, other 2%

Bangladesh
    Toll: Two people have been reported dead in Bangladesh.

Muslim 83%, Hindu 16%, other 1% (1998)

Somalia
    Toll: Between 150 and 200 Somalis are thought to have died, with thousands more homeless and many fishermen still unaccounted for. As many as 30,000 people may have been displaced.

Sunni Muslim

Kenya
    Toll: One person drowned in Kenya.

Protestant 45%, Roman Catholic 33%, indigenous beliefs 10%, Muslim 10%, other 2%

note: a large majority of Kenyans are Christian, but estimates for the percentage of the population that adheres to Islam or indigenous beliefs vary widely

Tanzania
    Toll: Ten people were killed in Tanzania.

mainland - Christian 30%, Muslim 35%, indigenous beliefs 35%; Zanzibar - more than 99% Muslim

Seychelles
    Toll: One person was killed in the Seychelles.

Roman Catholic 86.6%, Anglican 6.8%, other Christian 2.5%, other 4.1%

Sources
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html (I knew that would come in handy)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/4126019.stm
    yes, I realize more countries than Thailand were hit ... but my point was not all of the places affected are Muslim ... and with your map - it show that it goes beyond Muslim and Buddist ... some of those are Christian countries as well ...

so if it is a sign from God, maybe he's trying to speak to humanity in general. Telling us to quit all of our petty immature sibling squabbles and get along ...

yes, I realize more countries than Thailand were hit ... but my point was not all of the places affected are Muslim ... and with your map - it show that it goes beyond Muslim and Buddist ... some of those are Christian countries as well ...

so if it is a sign from God, maybe he's trying to speak to humanity in general. Telling us to quit all of our petty immature sibling squabbles and get along ...
    Ok... now that I've got my edits done, and your quote correct...

Sadly, I haven't really looked at the numbers for the Tsunami... This wasn't to prove to you that only Muslims were hit, etc...

It was more to show me who was affected by the Tsunami...

Because of the thread's purpose, I added the religions, etc... To make it a more interesting "Debate".

The thing that I find most interesting about those facts is that India was hit harder than Thailand, yet why is Thailand buried in our brains?

danceyogamom Guest
    Ok... now that I've got my edits done, and your quote correct...

Sadly, I haven't really looked at the numbers for the Tsunami... This wasn't to prove to you that only Muslims were hit, etc...

It was more to show me who was affected by the Tsunami...

Because of the thread's purpose, I added the religions, etc... To make it a more interesting "Debate".
    I think the demographics are extremely interesting ... it shows how far reaching this was and how it hit regardless of religion or political beliefs.

I think the demographics are extremely interesting ... it shows how far reaching this was and how it hit regardless of religion or political beliefs.
    It shows to those religious zealouts out there who think this was a sign from God, that God is angry at a lot of people, that's for sure...

danceyogamom Guest
    It shows to those religious zealouts out there who think this was a sign from God, that God is angry at a lot of people, that's for sure...
    unfortunately, I seriously doubt it showed religious zealouts anything. They view God the way they want to, and interpret earthly actions/events in ways that best suits their beliefs and agenda.

so the blanket statement that it was God punishing the Muslims will most likely stick, since that is a very convenient and supportive statement to their beliefs. *sigh*

unfortunately, I seriously doubt it showed religious zealouts anything. They view God the way they want to, and interpret earthly actions/events in ways that best suits their beliefs and agenda.

so the blanket statement that it was God punishing the Muslims will most likely stick, since that is a very convenient and supportive statement to their beliefs. *sigh*
    Yes, but why do we have "Thailand On The Brain" when India was hit harder?