Guantanamo: Inmates' testimonies

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...icle349546.ece

Published: 06 March 2006

'I was just walking in the street and I was captured. The next thing I found out is that I am sitting here. The only thing I did in Afghanistan was farming ... we grew wheat, corn, vegetables and watermelons'

Hafizullah Shah, farmer from Afghanistan

'I don't want to spend any more time here, not one more minute. I did not know my training would be considered al-Qa'ida training. I was trying to help Muslims. I am not from the Taliban, I'm just a person, a helper'

Mesh Arsad al Rashid, farmer from Afghanistan

'I never had a weapon. I never carried a weapon with me and I've never been in any kind of armed fight ... I always knew America as a democratic country and always heard positive things about America. I believe that after 9/11 America became very aggressive and that's probably the only reason I'm here'

Unnamed apple seller from Khazakhstan

'I was just making sacks to sell at the bazaar to make money for my family. I would like to go home because I am worried about them'

Habib Noor, prisoner from Afghanistan

'I am a poor person, I have a small piece of land'

Mohammed Gul, prisoner from Afghanistan

'An American told me I was wrongfully taken and in a couple of days I'd be free. I never saw that American again and I'm still here'

Abdur Sayed Rahman, chicken farmer from Pakistan

'If I am guilty then they should come up with my punishment. Otherwise, they should do something faster to finish my case'

Arkin Mahmud, prisoner from China

'What are we going to do with the RPGs? The only thing I did in Afghanistan was farming'

Zahir Shah, prisoner from Afghanistan

'There are no facts ... this is ridiculous. I know for a fact there is no proof'

Mohammed Sharif, prisoner from Afghanistan

'That's true the people who found me, that's me they arrested. I don't know what they call me. Jumma Jan. I am not that person'

Zain Ul Abedin, prisoner from Tajikistan