9/11 'truth' on their minds as Bush speaks tonight

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...p-328525c.html

BY MICHAEL McAULIFF
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - President Bush won't be the only one making political points about 9/11 at tonight's State of the Union speech.

At least two New Yorkers invited to the address by state lawmakers will be there to illustrate their own, very different points.

"Let's see if we get some truth," said Monica Gabrielle, who lost her husband on Sept. 11, 2001, and will listen to Bush with Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.).

Bush, who has made his response to the Sept. 11 terror attacks a cornerstone of his administration, has featured New Yorkers prominently in the address every year since.

Gabrielle said she wants to hear Bush before she takes a stand on his speech.

Clinton's spokesman said the senator invited Gabrielle to recognize her push for security improvements and for more information about the attacks - but also to remind the President of challenges that still face New York.

Marvin Bethea, a paramedic sickened by his 9/11 exposure who is coming with Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-Manhattan), has a message for Bush and the rest of the federal government.

"I want every member of Congress to look at me and remember me when they go to bed at night," said Bethea, who takes 14 medications and has formed a foundation to help other 9/11 responders who have lost or had to fight for health care.

Maloney sent Bush a letter yesterday asking him to appoint a health czar to make sure people like Bethea don't slip through the cracks.