Thread: Unfair business practice?

Se7en Guest

Unfair business practice?

I work for a major cable/internet provider. We are one, if not the, largest cable provider in the US. Recently, it came to our attention that a satellite provider who airs commericals on stations that we provide, deliberately distort their commericals. While viewing the ad, lines appear on the screen, and in some instances, the audio is out of phase.

Now while I support healthy competition, I think this is an unfair way to lure customers away. I believe you should bank on your product, and the benefits of it. However, when you mess with commercials to make the consumer think something is wrong with their service, you mislead the public. Something like that should not be allowed.

I would like to know what you people think. Should this type of 'aggressive' and misleading advertising be allowed?

unconstitutionalliberty Guest
    All is fair in Love and War...of course it shouldn't be allowed. Misleading advertisements are illegal aren't they, if not then people are just throwing away currency.

Se7en Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unconstitutionalliberty
    All is fair in Love and War...of course it shouldn't be allowed. Misleading advertisements are illegal aren't they, if not then people are just throwing away currency.
    Misleading ads such as "Bait and switch", or some outright lie. However, with all the special effects that commericals use nowadays, it would be hard to regulate rules in terms of producing relationships.

BTW, the satellite company claims it was not done intentionally, rather it was a 'production issue'.

Good Doctor HST Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by S373N

I would like to know what you people think. Should this type of 'aggressive' and misleading advertising be allowed?
    I would say no. I'm sure it's against the law. You could check the Cornell Law web site; I'm sure there's probably scads of advertising law sites you could check out. Maybe tape some of the satellite commercials they're purposely messing up, and send it to the major cable provider headquarters you work for. That'd be cool to see in the news, your company suing theirs.... you'd be crowned "Whistleblower of the YBBS"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S373N
    I work for a major cable/internet provider. We are one, if not the, largest cable provider in the US. Recently, it came to our attention that a satellite provider who airs commericals on stations that we provide, deliberately distort their commericals. While viewing the ad, lines appear on the screen, and in some instances, the audio is out of phase.

Now while I support healthy competition, I think this is an unfair way to lure customers away. I believe you should bank on your product, and the benefits of it. However, when you mess with commercials to make the consumer think something is wrong with their service, you mislead the public. Something like that should not be allowed.

Quit your whining, and take it like a man. :D
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Se7en Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Doctor HST
    I would say no. I'm sure it's against the law. You could check the Cornell Law web site; I'm sure there's probably scads of advertising law sites you could check out. Maybe tape some of the satellite commercials they're purposely messing up, and send it to the major cable provider headquarters you work for. That'd be cool to see in the news, your company suing theirs.... you'd be crowned "Whistleblower of the YBBS"!!!
    Oh yeah, we already have our thousands of Lawyers (minions?) checking this out. I was in on a meeting with the CEO, and the upper management when they told us about this. The Satellite company says its a production issue, so of course there will be MANY hours spent going over it in court.