Page 31 of 67 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: A Fallen Hero - Video Inside

Estimate: Giuliant spent 7 percent of time spent by first responders at Ground Zero

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Record...ound_0817.html

Nick Juliano
    Published: Friday August 17, 2007

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani has faced repeated criticism of his apparent attempts to trade on his reputation that grew out of Sept. 11 to propel his presidential campaign.

A new estimate shows Giuliani spent about 7 percent as much time at Ground Zero as did the typical first responder during a three month period after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

On Friday the GOP frontrunner faced more harsh words after the New York Times revealed that Giuliani spent only 29 hours at the smoldering pile of wreckage that was the World Trade Center from mid-September to mid-December 2001.

During those same three months, rescue workers were putting in 12-hour shifts digging through the World Trade Center's wreckage. And Michael J. Palladino, president of the Detectives’ Endowment Association of New York City, told the Times that officers averaged 400 hours each at the site during that time.

Talking Points Memo's Election Central unearthed comments from Giuliani in 2006.

"I spent as much time here as anyone ... I was here five, six times a day for four months," Giuliani said last September. "I thought of it as living here."

The Times' tally was compiled from records of Giuliani's schedules form Sept. 17 to Dec. 16, 2001 and does not take into account the first six days following the attack, during which Giuliani paid repeated visits to the site.

If Giuliani had paid Ground Zero five or six daily visits for the timeframe covered by the Times, a rough estimate shows each visit would've lasted less than four minutes, on average. However the Times reports Giuliani made 41 appearances at Ground Zero, mostly to give tours to other officials and foreign dignitaries.

In his 2002 book, Leadership, Giuliani recounts visiting Ground Zero on Jan. 1, 2002, just after his successor, Michael Bloomberg, was sworn in.

"I wanted it to be the last place I visited before I left," Giuliani wrote. "I had been there hundreds of times in the three and a half months since the attacks."

Giuliani was criticized earlier this month when he claimed he was "at ground zero as often, if not more, than most of the workers." First responders said the remark was insensitive and untrue. Although Giuliani said a few days later that he misspoke, he still claimed to face health risks because of his exposure to toxic material at Ground Zero.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

AuGmENTor Guest
    I was waiting for this to come out and expose this asshole for the liar he is. People love to crunch numbers and make statistics for things. 83% of people know that...

Did you read the article before?

AuGmENTor Guest
    The one whee he initailly said it, or this one? I have seens the first one of course. Both you and BM posted it, and I commented on it. This one I saw just now.

AuGmENTor Guest
    No, I hadn't seen that one. Powerfully written. You have to admire the courage and lack of resentment.

She passed away dude. It breaks your heart.

AuGmENTor Guest
    Now that is the worst thing i have heard all month. What a shame the US Government killed all those people, and then killed how many more by redacting that report?

Too soon to tell. Over 100 so far.

9/11 'LIES' HANG IN THE AIR

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08202007...ard_greene.htm

By JOHN MAZOR and LEONARD GREENE

August 20, 2007 -- Angry lower Manhattan residents who find themselves reliving the 9/11 nightmare say reassurances about air quality following the weekend blaze at the Deutsche Bank building are simply not enough.

"Residents were told after 9/11 that air was safe," said Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer. "Well, we found out how untrue that was."

Officials, including Gov. Spitzer, said tests for asbestos and other contaminants during and after the fire were negative.

City environmental officials said 57 air samples near the building have tested negative for asbestos since the blaze.

But Stringer said residents need to see the results for themselves.

"This community in particular needs reassurance beyond one test result," Stringer said.

Two firefighters perished Saturday in the seven-alarm fire that brought back eerie memories of the terrorist attacks.

"I was back at 9/11," said Esther Regelson, 48, who watched the fire with neighbors from her Washington Street home. "There we were on the roof, watching things burning, wondering if the building was going to collapse."

Thankfully, it didn't, and Mayor Bloomberg said there was never any danger of that.

But that bit of reassurance was hardly consolation for those who still remember the roar of the Twin Towers as they collapsed.

"I've lived her for 30 years," said Ruth Davis, 49, "and I feel they should have blown the [Deutsche Bank building up right after 9/11.

"The quality of air was already bad. What difference would it have made if they blew it up right then?"