Page 53 of 67 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: A Fallen Hero - Video Inside

Some Clarity From 9/11 First Responder John Feal

(Gold9472: Over the last several months, certain "inconsequential people" have been bothering, and harassing John Feal because of his associations with this movement. They have pushed him to the point of saying things he doesn't necessarily mean. I have asked John for this clarification so there is no confusion as to where he stands.)

To the 9/11 Truth Movement:

Let me start by saying thank you for the years of support, compassion and dedication for the 9/11 responders you have helped. With that being said, you have heard me say "I am not a truther," and I'm not. However, that does not mean I do not support the truth movement. To be a truther, I would have to be involved and committed 100% like I am in running my foundation which helps yesterday's heroes.

I have seen your cause grow immensely and you have gathered an army of great Americans who now share your beliefs. That deserves a big congratulations. I, however, have my reservations at this time to share my views any more then I already have. But, if you look at my track record, in interviews with Luke or Dylan, you will see my subtle hints. So yes, I strongly believe, as Jon Gold says, that elements within our government and the current administration are suspects for the crime of 9/11. Did they lie? Oh yes, I believe that 100%. There are sick and dying men and woman to prove that. My energies are focused and spent on aiding these brave souls.

We all seek the truth, and we all seek what is best for this country. However, we take different paths in searching and fighting for that common goal. I have publicly called out many elected officials on my terms, and have marched to my own beat. I have earned that right to do so. I lost half a foot, and spent 11 weeks in a hospital bed. So, they way I go about bringing out the truth, or disseminating information may not be the way others do, or the way you wish I did. But I will continue to do so, like you all continue to go about your course of actions.

Whether we agree or disagree, that is totally irrelevant. As with any relationship, we must learn that we will not all agree on everything, and in order for that relationship too last, we must learn that the closest thing to a perfect relationship, even with our disagreements, is to respect one another.

John Feal
    Founder & President of the FealGood Foundation
    Injured 9/11 responder
    Kidney donor
    Above And Beyond Citizen Honors recipient from the Congressional Medal of Honor Society
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Lawyers detail health problems from 9/11

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/07/...7071215014513/

Published: July 2, 2008 at 12:01 PM

NEW YORK, July 2 (UPI) -- Lawyers for those who worked at the World Trade Center in New York after the 2001 terrorist attacks say 67 percent suffer from respiratory disease.

Papers filed in court Tuesday claim nearly half, 45 percent, have gastrointestinal problems, the New York Post reported. The lawyers, countering claims by the city that 30 percent have not developed serious health problems, say that their information is still incomplete.

"As information continues to be received, there is a clear picture that these plaintiffs' conditions are tending to get worse, not better," the lawyers said in a letter to U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein.

The firefighters and police officers who worked at Ground Zero were among the fittest people in the city before their time there, the letter said.

9/11 Workers Refute NYC’s Claim of Incomplete Medical Records

http://www.occupationalhazards.com/N...l_Records.aspx

By Laura Walter
    July 9, 2008

Attorneys representing more than 10,000 Ground Zero workers including police, firefighters and other rescue, recovery and debris clean-up personnel who became ill after working at the World Trade Center site after 9/11 refuted the city’s claims that the plaintiffs produced inadequate medical records for the case.

At a May 29 court conference, the city claimed that most plaintiffs had not produced all of their medical records. The plaintiffs' co-liaison counsel, Worby, Groner, Edelman, Napoli & Bern LLP, however, reported that they had delivered more than 800,000 pages of medical records. The plaintiffs also exchanged an additional 58,451 pages comprising 1,548 individual records since the court conference.

The attorneys indicated that the defendants themselves were at all times in possession and control of thousands of the plaintiffs' own records.

The attorneys also noted that by making allegations of incomplete medical records disclosure in open court, the city’s attorneys were in direct violation of a court case management order. This order required the defendants to first serve a letter advising the plaintiffs' attorneys of the claimed shortcomings in their production before taking their concerns to the court, which the defendants failed to do. The first such deficiency letter came almost three weeks after the May 29 conference.

Medical Record Analysis
    After a June 25 New York Times article questioned whether the Ground Zero workers actually were injured, the plaintiffs’ attorneys called the city’s actions a thinly-veiled attempt to lessen its legal, moral and financial responsibility to provide desperately needed benefits and compensation to thousands of workers who suffer respiratory and gastrointestinal injury, cardiac problems, cancer and even death.

“As if it was not enough that these brave men and women have put their health and their families' financial well-being on the line to answer their city's call to duty in the weeks following Sept. 11, 2001, they are now asked to bear the indignity of being labeled malingerers in open court and in the press by the city and its attorneys,” said attorney Marc Jay Bern.

According to a recent in-depth analysis of the medical records reviewed thus far by the plaintiffs' attorneys, Ground Zero workers suffer from numerous ailments, with a typical rescue and recovery worker suffering from an average three different diseases.

The analysis demonstrates that 39 percent of the workers suffer from asthma; 67 percent and 57 percent have upper and/or lower respiratory ailments, respectively; about 20 percent suffer from sleep apnea; 46 percent have GERD; 6 percent experience interstitial lung disease; and nearly 38 percent have cardiac conditions.

EPA on Trial

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/3794/epa_on_trial/

By Joel Bleifuss
    7/14/2008

For more than six years, Hugh Kaufman has been battling the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), his employer for 37 years, with a whistleblower lawsuit. He has been aided by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER), a D.C.-based group that represents workers who expose corruption in agencies that oversee environmental quality and public health.

“We get people calling us all the time, but in this administration, more than ever,” says Paula Dinerstein, PEER senior counsel.

In June, Kaufman made his case before a Department of Labor administrative law judge, testifying that former EPA head Christine Todd Whitman closed down the agency’s National Ombudsman Office in an effort to stop investigations that Kaufman was conducting.

As the chief investigator for the agency’s National Ombudsman Office — which investigated public complaints about the EPA’s Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response — Kaufman had a bird’s eye view of how the public health and safety were routinely subordinated to corporate interests.

“The Reagan, Bush I and Clinton EPAs, were all pretty much the same,” he says. “The Bush administration took a bad EPA and made it worse.”

In February 2001, Kaufman alerted the Denver Post to the fact that Whitman had not recused herself from the negotiations involving a radioactive Superfund site in Denver in which she had a conflict of interest. (Superfund sites are contaminated areas that threaten public health and the environment.) Specifically, Kaufman noted that at the same time Whitman was negotiating the settlement with Citigroup, which owned the site, she held between $100,000 and $250,000 worth of stock in the company, and her husband, John, was the president of a Citigroup-owned company.

The EPA ultimately ruled that Citigroup would pay $7 million of the estimated $35 million cleanup costs, with the public picking up the rest. Such small reimbursements have been typical under the Bush administration’s EPA. In a 2007 report, the Center for Public Integrity found that from 2000 to 2006, reimbursements from companies for site cleanups fell by half compared to the previous six years.

At the June hearing, Kaufman also presented evidence that Whitman, by dismantling the National Ombudsman Office, interrupted his investigations into the agency’s endorsement of sewage sludge as fertilizer. In February, a federal district court in Georgia upheld farmers’ claims that the sludge containing heavy metals contaminated their farmland, writing:

The EPA’s unexplained rejection of Kaufman’s [public health] position … was not based on substantial evidence. … The administrative record contains evidence that senior EPA officials took extraordinary steps to quash scientific dissent, and any questioning of the EPA’s biosolids program.

Whitman was also apparently upset at the ombudsman office’s investigation of the EPA’s lackluster response to 9/11.

In January 2002, Kaufman alerted the media that after 9/11, the EPA had put New Yorkers’ health at risk by failing to warn them of the danger to their health posed by the hazardous waste generated when the Twin Tower buildings collapsed.

He told the New York Daily News: “The evidence I have seen demonstrates that there is and was a substantial health risk that the EPA had documented in its testing. … Mrs. Whitman’s statement to the brave rescue workers and the people who live there was false.”

On Jan. 9, 2002, Kaufman’s boss, National Ombudsman Robert Martin, announced he was going to open an investigation into the agency’s 9/11 response. Five days later, Whitman closed the ombudsman’s office and appropriated the 9/11-related files. Kaufman was eventually reassigned to a paper-pushing desk job.

Due to the possibility for appeals, the courts won’t resolve Kaufman’s case prior to Inauguration Day 2009. Consequently, according to a PEER press release, “The fate of the National Ombudsman Office may be one of the early decisions facing the next administration seeking to reform a very troubled EPA.”

In other words, Kaufman’s fate rests in the hands of the EPA administrator appointed by the next president.

U.S. to Grant $30 Million for Civilians’ 9/11 Ailments

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ny...l?ref=nyregion

By JAMES BARRON
    Published: July 24, 2008

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expected to announce on Thursday that it plans to award $30 million to hospitals and clinics that monitor and treat residents, students and other so-called nonresponders who were exposed to dust and smoke at ground zero.

These nonresponders were not among the rescue and recovery workers sent to the World Trade Center site after the twin towers were destroyed on 9/11. Some of those workers have complained of respiratory and gastrointestinal ailments. Thousands of firefighters, for example, developed what has become known as the World Trade Center cough.

Christine Branche, the acting director of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, said in an interview on Wednesday that the money was set aside in an appropriations bill that Congress passed and President Bush signed in December. She said it would be given as grants in three installments of $10 million, and would go to as many as three hospitals or clinics.

Those institutions will have to apply for the grants. Dr. Branche said she did not know how many might apply.

A spokesman for one place that has treated people exposed to the dust and smoke from the trade center site, the W.T.C. Environmental Health Center at Bellevue Hospital Center, said he had not heard about the grants until a reporter called. But he said he hoped there would be “funding for support services for area residents, cleanup workers and others served by our program.”

Dr. Philip J. Landrigan, chairman of the department of community and preventive medicine at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, which runs a center that has examined more than 15,000 ground zero workers and volunteers, said the center would decide whether to apply once details about the grants were formally announced.

“This is a good thing,” Dr. Landrigan said. “People who lived and worked in Lower Manhattan in the days and weeks after 9/11 were exposed to the dust, and many have never been properly treated.”

Dr. Branche said she did not know how many people might receive treatment once the money had been distributed; she said the institutions receiving the money would decide that. The grants, she said, will be awarded by Sept. 30.

“We’re on track for getting this money out,” she said.

But some members of the New York Congressional delegation said the money was overdue. “I am pleased to see that they are finally releasing these funds, as Congress intended,” Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton said in a statement. “There is no excuse for not addressing the very real needs of residents, students and office workers experiencing adverse health impacts following the 9/11 attacks.”

Representative Jerrold Nadler said the grants were a positive development. “Congress specifically directed the C.D.C. to provide for the health of everyone whose health was undermined by the environmental impacts of 9/11,” he said. “The administration resolutely refused to do it. They’re now doing it. That’s good.”

Dr. Branche was named interim director this month after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention decided not to reappoint Dr. John Howard as director. Since 2006, he had coordinated health programs for workers at ground zero, and had sometimes been at odds with the Bush administration over monitoring and treatment arrangements.

9/11 AID MAY $ICK IT TO US

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07312008..._us_122366.htm

7/31/2008

Federal legislation to help those suffering health problems from the World Trade Center terrorist attacks could cost taxpayers up to $13 billion, The Post has learned.

The bill, which will go before a House hearing today and is strongly backed by Mayor Bloomberg, would reopen the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund and would provide funding for medical care for downtown residents and for firefighters, cops, EMTs and construction workers who worked at Ground Zero.

The preliminary estimate of the cost of the measure by the Congressional Budget Office ranged from $8 billion to $13 billion, congressional sources said.

The staggering cost figure hasn't been publicly disclosed yet but was revealed to The Post by sources.

Under the bill, roughly 35,000 people living within 1.5 miles of Ground Zero would be eligible for medical benefits at a projected cost of $3.1 billion. Thousands of first-responders would also receive medical aid at a cost of $2 billion.

As many as 85,000 first-responders could be eligible for medical aid. But the overall cost for their care is less than for residents because most of the first-responders have health insurance that covers a large share of their medical bills, sources said.

The price for reopening the victims' fund was harder to calculate because congressional analysts couldn't predict how many people would apply. They put the cost at anywhere from $3 billion to $8 billion, sources said.

The legislation has the active support of Bloomberg, who last month met with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to push for its passage.

If approved, the bill would spare the city from massive liability by letting sick workers, or families of those who died, apply for aid from a reopened and federally financed Victim Compensation Fund.

After the terror attacks, the federal fund paid out $6 billion to families of those who died on 9/11 and another $1 billion to the injured through 2003.

The current bill is far less costly than an earlier version that was estimated at $30 billion.

Mayor To Testify On 9/11 Workers' Health Bill

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=84370

July 30, 2008

On Thursday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg will testify at a Washington, D.C. hearing on the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act.

The bill is named after a former police detective who served as a recovery worker after the terror attacks.

Zadroga, pictured above, was one of the first police officers whose death was blamed on illnesses he developed from dust inhaled at the Trade Center Site.

The hearing is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m.

Programming Note: NY1 will be in Washington, D.C. to provide coverage on the hearing throughout the day.

Kevin M. Delano, firefighter and 9/11 rescue worker

http://www.newsday.com/services/news...,6853181.story

BY ZACHARY R. DOWDY | zachary.dowdy@newsday.com
    August 6, 2008

Kevin M. Delano, a firefighter who worked to find survivors of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center, has died of leukemia.

The former Howard Beach, Queens, resident was 54 and died July 30. As a member of Ladder 142 in Ozone Park, Queens, Delano was one of the first people to arrive at the rubble of Ground Zero after the skyscrapers crumbled.

He worked at the site for more than 40 hours straight. He had hoped to find any survivors, but especially sought his close friend, Ray York, of Howard Beach, who was killed.

Delano was retired from the Fire Department of New York and had served as chief of the West Hamilton Beach Volunteer Fire Department in Queens. He also had worked as a transit police officer and a member of the Coast Guard.

In 1980, he married Roseann Pannhorst in Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church in Howard Beach. Four years later, the couple had a son, Kevin. All the while, Delano balanced his duties as a firefighter, husband and father, often referred to by relatives as the rock of the family.

After retiring from the fire department in 2003 because of health conditions, Delano moved to Blakeslee, Pa., in the Poconos, where he played golf regularly, took up fishing and relaxed. He was later diagnosed with leukemia. His cancer was in remission for some time, then the disease reappeared and he received a bone-marrow transplant.

His doctor said he likely got leukemia because of burning benzene at the World Trade Center site, his wife said yesterday.

A funeral Mass was celebrated Monday at Our Lady of Grace. The ceremony was followed by a full honor guard, including bagpipes and a fire department funeral procession that drove by the West Hamilton Beach Volunteer Fire Department.

Burial was at St. Charles Cemetery in Farmingdale.

Besides his wife and son, Delano is survived by his brothers, Raymond of Virginia and Gerard of Howard Beach; and his sisters, Loretta Giordano of Ozone Park, Patti Fogarty of Howard Beach, Cathy Delano of Gainesville, Fla., and Barbara Jean Johnson, Maureen Chioffee, Jeananne Quinn and Vicky Joyner, all of Vidalia, Ga.

The Environmental Impact Of 9/11

Video
    Click Here (GooTube)

Please go here to learn more.

9/11 FIRST RESPONDERS INSPIRE NEW YORK MUSICIAN TO HELP OUT

http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=72107

(NEW BERN, NC)—Days after the Twin Towers fell, thousands of first responders aided New York in its devastating crisis, giving Americans a great sense of hope. Seven years later, many of those heroes have been forgotten—and worse, over 15,000 have become gravely ill.

Steven Centore, author of the new book One of Them: A First Responder’s Story, was one of the many who volunteered to assist in the immediate aftermath of the attack on September 11, 2001, and then during the eighteen-month-long recovery efforts.

Mr. Centore’s book has shed light on the neglect of the first responders and caught the attention of New York musician Paul Zunno.

“After reading One of Them, I felt compelled to raise awareness about the great sacrifice that was made by these men and women,” says the musician.

In an attempt to get involved, Mr. Zunno recorded the new single “Hold Me Up” and teamed up with John Feal, founder and president of the FealGood Foundation, a non-profit organization created to provide financial assistance to first responders and educate the public about the effects 9/11 has had on their health.

“The attack didn’t end on September 11,” says Mr. Centore. “It continues to this day as first responders suffer from the aftereffects. It’s almost like radiation poisoning after a nuclear attack—first come the initial victims and then, those who’ve been poisoned by the clouds of lethal dust.”

As of today, the toxins at Ground Zero have affected:
    • 4,517 people with upper respiratory ailments
    • 3,857 with lower respiratory illness
    • 398 with lung disease
    • 2,616 with asthma
    • 1,340 with sleep apnea
    • 2,528 with heart conditions caused or worsened by 9/11

“And that’s only what’s been officially reported in medical records,” says Mr. Centore. “There are a host of other ailments such as cancer, diseases affecting vital organs and mental health issues.”

Mr. Zunno adds, “I’m a New Yorker and should have known about this much sooner. ‘Hold Me Up’ is probably one of the most personal songs I have ever written, and I wanted Steve, John and all of the responders to know that they have my support.”

In an effort to assist Ground Zero workers, Mr. Zunno has decided to donate 100 percent of the profits from his new song (available for download on iTunes and CDbaby.com) to the FealGood Foundation. For more information, you can visit www.zunno.com.

“I think that if given the opportunity, most people would want to contribute to this cause,” says Mr. Zunno. “Here’s their chance to help while the political end of this gets worked out.”
    To learn more about how you can help, or to buy the breakout book One of Them: A First Responder’s Story, visit www.SteveCentore.com or www.wadv-oneofthem.com. The book is also available on Borders.com, Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com.

For more information about One of Them: A First Responder’s Story, contact Steve Centore directly at Scentore@yahoo.com.

WORLDWIDE ASSOCIATION OF DISABLED VETERANS, INC. and author Steven Centore chose Arbor Books, Inc. (www.ArborBooks.com) to design and promote One of Them: A First Responder’s Story. Arbor Books is an internationally renowned, full-service book design, ghostwriting and marketing firm.