Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HIV Infection Rate Among U.S. Blacks Doubles

HIV Infection Rate Among U.S. Blacks Doubles

HIV infection rate among U.S. blacks doubles
    Cases among whites hold steady, highlighting growing racial gap

The Associated Press
    Updated: 5:27 p.m. ET Feb. 25, 2005

BOSTON - The HIV infection rate has doubled among blacks in the United States over a decade while holding steady among whites — stark evidence of a widening racial gap in the epidemic, government scientists said Friday.

Other troubling statistics indicate that almost half of all infected people in the United States who should be receiving HIV drugs are not getting them.

The findings were released in Boston at the 12th Annual Retrovirus Conference, the world’s chief scientific gathering on the disease.

'A burgeoning epidemic'
    “It’s incredibly disappointing,” said Terje Anderson, director of the National Association of People With AIDS. “We just have a burgeoning epidemic in the African American community that is not being dealt with effectively.”

Researchers and AIDS prevention advocates attributed the high rate among blacks to such factors as drug addiction, poverty and poor access to health care.

The HIV rates were derived from the widely used National Health and Nutrition Examinations Surveys, which analyze a representative sample of U.S. households and contain the most complete HIV data in the country. Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention compared 1988-1994 data with figures from 1999-2002.

The surveys look only at young and middle-aged adults who live in households, excluding such groups as soldiers, prisoners and homeless. Thus, health officials believe the numbers probably underestimate true HIV rates in this country.

Still, they show a striking rise in the prevalence of the AIDS virus from 1 percent to 2 percent of blacks. White rates held steady at 0.2 percent. Largely because of the increase among blacks, the overall U.S. rate rose slightly from 0.3 percent to 0.4 percent.

Smaller studies had shown rising infection rates among blacks in recent years, but this study takes a longer and more complete look at changes in the general population.

“I think it’s very concerning,” said Dr. Susan Buchbinder, who leads HIV research for the city of San Francisco. “I think what we need to look at is how we can reduce those rates and get more people into treatment.”

More focus on drug addiction needed
    She recommended a stronger focus on treating drug addiction.

The lead CDC researcher, Geraldine McQuillan, said she was encouraged to see the HIV rate among younger blacks holding steady at just under 1.5 percent.

“It tells me we’re making some headway,” she said.

Other national data and published reports studied by the CDC showed that 480,000 HIV-infected people ages 15 to 49 should have been getting antiviral drugs in 2003, yet only 268,000, or 56 percent, were given such medication.

Researcher Eyasu Teshale of the CDC said the gap represents “a substantial unmet health care need.”

Treatment is widely viewed as a central component in prevention. Powerful AIDS drugs that came into wide use in the mid-1990s can knock down levels of the virus in the body, reducing the chances that the patient will infect others.

Nearly 1 million people in the United States have contracted the AIDS virus since the outbreak began in the early 1980s. About 40,000 people test positive each year, and more than 18,000 die. However, U.S. infections have remained fairly level in recent years with the use of powerful HIV drugs.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Giggles Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472

The Associated Press

BOSTON - The HIV infection rate has doubled among blacks in the United States over a decade while holding steady among whites — stark evidence of a widening racial gap in the epidemic, government scientists said Friday.

Other troubling statistics indicate that almost half of all infected people in the United States who should be receiving HIV drugs are not getting them.

The findings were released in Boston at the 12th Annual Retrovirus Conference, the world’s chief scientific gathering on the disease.

'A burgeoning epidemic'
    “It’s incredibly disappointing,” said Terje Anderson, director of the National Association of People With AIDS. “We just have a burgeoning epidemic in the African American community that is not being dealt with effectively.”

Researchers and AIDS prevention advocates attributed the high rate among blacks to such factors as drug addiction, poverty and poor access to health care.

The HIV rates were derived from the widely used National Health and Nutrition Examinations Surveys, which analyze a representative sample of U.S. households and contain the most complete HIV data in the country. Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention compared 1988-1994 data with figures from 1999-2002.

The surveys look only at young and middle-aged adults who live in households, excluding such groups as soldiers, prisoners and homeless. Thus, health officials believe the numbers probably underestimate true HIV rates in this country.

Still, they show a striking rise in the prevalence of the AIDS virus from 1 percent to 2 percent of blacks. White rates held steady at 0.2 percent. Largely because of the increase among blacks, the overall U.S. rate rose slightly from 0.3 percent to 0.4 percent.

Smaller studies had shown rising infection rates among blacks in recent years, but this study takes a longer and more complete look at changes in the general population.

“I think it’s very concerning,” said Dr. Susan Buchbinder, who leads HIV research for the city of San Francisco. “I think what we need to look at is how we can reduce those rates and get more people into treatment.”

The lead CDC researcher, Geraldine McQuillan, said she was encouraged to see the HIV rate among younger blacks holding steady at just under 1.5 percent.

Other national data and published reports studied by the CDC showed that 480,000 HIV-infected people ages 15 to 49 should have been getting antiviral drugs in 2003, yet only 268,000, or 56 percent, were given such medication.

Researcher Eyasu Teshale of the CDC said the gap represents “a substantial unmet health care need.”

Treatment is widely viewed as a central component in prevention. Powerful AIDS drugs that came into wide use in the mid-1990s can knock down levels of the virus in the body, reducing the chances that the patient will infect others.

Nearly 1 million people in the United States have contracted the AIDS virus since the outbreak began in the early 1980s. About 40,000 people test positive each year, and more than 18,000 die. However, U.S. infections have remained fairly level in recent years with the use of powerful HIV drugs.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    I have to say this and no I'm not prejudice. That most African American's can't seem to control what is in their pants. Even if they could I don't think they really care about not spreading the disease by wearing condoms/protection of any kind. I think if they would be more abstient that would be even more safe. I don't know (in my mind I hear typical).

somebigguy Guest
    I agree, it's pretty damn obvious how to avoid HIV.

Giggles Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472

The Associated Press

'A burgeoning epidemic'

I have to say this, but I'm not prejudice. I think that if the African American's would learn to care more about things such as condoms/protection/sanitation/and so on. Then they wouldn't have caused an increase. I mean these things can be prevented if you care and are wise to this. I don't know (in my mind words like "typical" show up). I mean I see more African American women go on all these day time shows about you screw me over schemes, your my childs father and so on,then I do with whites.

unconstitutionalliberty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by somebigguy
    I agree, it's pretty damn obvious how to avoid HIV.
    I agree with both of you. Actually I have a theory that could solve all the worlds problems, but no one wants to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by unconstitutionalliberty
    I agree with both of you. Actually I have a theory that could solve all the worlds problems, but no one wants to hear it.
    Which is?

Giggles Guest
    Yes do tell (all ears).

unconstitutionalliberty Guest
    Bomb 'em. Gets rid of all problems, though it is only theory. Not that death is the answer, its just the easiest fix.

Bomb 'em. Gets rid of all problems, though it is only theory. Not that death is the answer, its just the easiest fix.
    Do you think that's a viable solution?

danceyogamom Guest
    maybe if it weren't so culturally taboo to discuss safe sex and how to avoid STD's and AIDS this wouldn't be such an issue.

I noticed the article's statistics didn't take into account population locations or religious beliefs. Large groups of people in this country teach abstinence as the only form of aids prevention - and where they are absolutely correct (its the only absolutely safe way not to contract anything), I do not believe the majority of their students pay heed.

Combine the overwhelming power of shaming people into not researching other methods of safe sex with the far too prevelant concept, "if you teach them about sex, they'll have it" and you end up with uneducated, unprepared and unaware people experimenting with sex on the sly.

No one even seems to know how to tackel the issue of HIV infection through drug use ... statistics on this population can't even be accurately measured ... much less finding patients, educating and treating them.