Thread: Russia To Ink Iran Atom Fuel Deal

Russia To Ink Iran Atom Fuel Deal

Russia to ink Iran atom fuel deal
    Iran says its nuclear activity has solely peaceful motives

Moscow and Tehran are set to sign a deal over the supply of fuel for Iran's new nuclear reactor in Bushehr.

The deal, forcing Iran to return all its spent nuclear fuel to Russia, paves the way for the reactor to start work.

Russian atomic energy chief Alexander Rumyantsev is expected to sign the oft-delayed agreement on Saturday.

The US fears Iran could use spent fuel to make weapons but Russia has rejected US pressure to cut nuclear co-operation with Iran, our correspondent reports.

At the very least, the US is concerned that the nuclear project could allow for the covert transfer of weapons technology to Iran, according to the BBC's Frances Harrison in Tehran.

At a meeting between President Putin and US President George W Bush in Slovakia on Thursday, both sides agreed Iran should not be allowed to develop nuclear weapons - and Mr Putin said he believed Iran had no intention of doing so.

Much-delayed deal
    The Russian ambassador in Tehran, Alexander Maryasov, said the signing of the agreement will leave "no grounds to state that Iran may use nuclear fuel for other than peaceful purposes", the Itar-Tass news agency reports.

Iran denies it is trying to build nuclear weapons, claiming its atomic programme is for purely for peaceful purposes.

Mr Rumyantsev is also expected to visit Bushehr to inspect the $800m reactor, built with Russian help.

There is already talk of Russia being awarded a contract to build another reactor at the site, our correspondent says.

The signing of the nuclear-fuel deal has been delayed several times in the past over apparent technical and financial issues.

According to the AFP news agency, Iran was initially reluctant to agree to Russian demands for all spent fuel to be returned, citing the risks involved in transporting it.

But Russia insisted on the guarantee to ensure no spent fuel was diverted for the manufacture of weapons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4299657.stm
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

I don't have a problem with this. To me, it seems Russia is cooperating rather than dictating. Russia is making the effort to at least get the spent fuel returned.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

somebigguy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    I don't have a problem with this. To me, it seems Russia is cooperating rather than dictating. Russia is making the effort to at least get the spent fuel returned.
    Russia has got to defend themselves just like Iran.

Bush sure is making the world a safer place, you know with the re-emergence of the cold war I feel much safer.