Thread: Canada-U.S. War Of Words Escalates

Canada-U.S. War Of Words Escalates

Canada-US war of words escalates

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4530744.stm

12/15/2005

Canada's Prime Minister, Paul Martin, has warned the US that he will "not be dictated to", saying Canadians expected him to stand up for their country.

Mr Martin was responding to comments made by US Ambassador David Wilkins.

On Tuesday, the diplomat urged Canadian politicians to watch what they said about the US while campaigning for January's general election.

Mr Martin is fighting for re-election after his minority government was ousted in a no-confidence vote.

Relations between the two neighbouring countries suffered after Canada refused to support the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Last week, Mr Martin lambasted Washington over its decision not to join the global effort to combat climate change.

Irked
    After calling on Canadian politicians to calm the rhetoric, the American ambassador said: "Canada never has to tear the US down to build itself up."

"All of us should hope it does not have a long-term impact on our relationship. And that's what you have to weigh scoring short-term political points against," he added.

Although Mr Wilkins did not mention Mr Martin by name, he suggested he was irked by his criticism of the US at the climate-change conference in Montreal last week.

But the Canadian PM said he was not trying to score political points by slamming the US but had every right to speak out in favour of his country's interests.

"I am not going to be dictated to as to the subjects I should raise," he told reporters.

"I will make sure that Canada speaks with an independent voice now, tomorrow and always, and you should demand nothing less from your prime minister."

Conservative leader Stephen Harper described Wilkins's criticisms as "inappropriate" and said no foreign ambassador should be intervening in another country's election campaign.

Canadians will go to the polls to elect a new parliament on 23 January, after Mr Martin lost a no-confidence vote. The minority Liberal government had been in power only 17 months.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

ThotPolice Guest
    Paul Martin: Hey George, what’s up?

George Bush: Chill’in watching war footage having a bud

PM: Well hey there is this election on in Canada and one sure way my corrupt and bogus “liberal” government can win, after squandering millions of dollars on failed and useless initiatives and stealing millions of taxpayers dollars to line top figures pockets, well Canadians are on to us, but there is one thing all Canadians are suckers for…. and well it involves you George.

GB:ME? Well what can I do for you Paul?

PM: I’m gonna bash America George, Canadians love America bashing and if I look like I have a spine for the next month maybe the people will forget about the vast corruption as well as any social issues, and get behind me, I promise you after we win the election I will go back to being your lap dog, deal?

GB: Sure thing, but I get all the lumber in British Columbia for next to nothing..

PM: Um…you already do but sure whatever, thanks George! I will plant some stories, we can start it at the climate meetings! Say hi to Marc Emery for me!

GB: Sure thing Paul take care…eh? Hehhehheh

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!