Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two excerpts from two very different religious texts.....

Good Doctor HST Guest

Two excerpts from two very different religious texts.....

“Slay the idolators [non-Muslims] wherever ye find them, and take them captive, and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the last Day…. Go forth, light-armed and heavy-armed, and strive with your wealth and your lives in the way of Allah!"

-From the Qur'an (Sura 9:5,29,41)

"If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;

Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him;
    But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.
    And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die; because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
    And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you."
    -From the Holy Bible (Deuteronomy 13:6, 8-11)

Partridge Guest
    "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn "a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law--a man's enemies will be the members of his own household." (Jesus, quoted in Matthew 10:34-36)

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    I'd love to see someone of either relgion bullshit there way out of these quotes when confronted.

princesskittypoo Guest
    huh?

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by princesskittypoo
    huh?
    I'd like to see what someone would say when confronted with these texts, someone who follows these religions.

Good Doctor HST Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilosophyGenius
    I'd like to see what someone would say when confronted with these texts, someone who follows these religions.
    I know what they say. I know many of them. They say, "God must have a reason to spread these ideas in the Gospel. It's all part of His Divine Plan." Drives me fucking nuts!

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Doctor HST
    I know what they say. I know many of them. They say, "God must have a reason to spread these ideas in the Gospel. It's all part of His Divine Plan." Drives me fucking nuts!
    The common answer is, "it depends on if you take it literally or not". What the F' does that mean?

jetsetlemming Guest
    It means, do you think Jonas was swallowed by a whale and then spit back up three days later, safe and sound, or do you not care about whether it's true or just a parable? The movement to interpret the bible for your own goddamn self has caught on. No more having other people force you to take their opinions. There are a lot of "non-denominational" Christian churches popping up, where the preacher's sermon is short and about basic Christianity, the ten commandments, being a good person, and the focus is on spirituality and not on rules and who's with us and who's going to hell.

princesskittypoo Guest
    i think god is inside of us. not in a book.

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetlemming
    It means, do you think Jonas was swallowed by a whale and then spit back up three days later, safe and sound, or do you not care about whether it's true or just a parable? The movement to interpret the bible for your own goddamn self has caught on. No more having other people force you to take their opinions. There are a lot of "non-denominational" Christian churches popping up, where the preacher's sermon is short and about basic Christianity, the ten commandments, being a good person, and the focus is on spirituality and not on rules and who's with us and who's going to hell.
    If the bible said this Jonas dude was swallowed by a whale and spit back out 3 days later, and you're a Christian, then you HAVE to believe that. If you don't believe that then why is the rest any differnet. It's either the whole thing or not at all.