Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: NYC Health Authorities Find Rare Form Of HIV

BREAKING NEWS: NYC Health Authorities Find Rare Form Of HIV

NYC health authorities find rare form of HIV
    Highly drug-resistant strain quickly progresses to AIDS
    Updated: 1:11 a.m. ET Feb. 12, 2005

NEW YORK - Health officials said Friday a man has been diagnosed with a rare strain of highly drug-resistant HIV that quickly progressed to AIDS.

“We are not aware of another case like this in the United States, or elsewhere,” said Dr. Ron Valdiserri, deputy director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention.

The case was found in a man in his mid-40s who had unprotected sex with other men, often while using crystal methamphetamine, an addictive stimulant.

Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Frieden said the rare HIV strain is “difficult or impossible to treat.” City health officials are working with the CDC to find other possible cases.

The man — who had not previously undergone antiviral drug treatment — was diagnosed with the rare strain in December 2004. He apparently had been infected recently after years of having unprotected anal intercourse.

The onset of AIDS appears to have occurred within two to three months, and at most 20 months, after infection.

Drug resistance is increasingly common among HIV-positive people, including some who had never been treated before, but not with such a fast progression to AIDS, Valdiserri said. HIV can take as many as 10 years to develop into AIDS, Frieden noted.

The man’s HIV did not respond to three of four types of antiviral drugs most commonly prescribed; he is now receiving a fourth regimen, health officials said.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

I happen to know someone who works with AIDS patients, and they tell me that this is BIG as far as AIDS news goes...

To me, it reminds me of "Jurassic Park" when Jeff Goldblum's character said, "Life Finds A Way". A virus is essentially a form of life. It's "evolving". Getting stronger.

Remember when AIDS was first discovered? It was in the early 80's. Progressively throughout the rest of that decade you heard more about it. So much so that everyone was afraid of contracting it. I also remember they said, you can't get it "this way", and then suddenly, "you could"...

Se7en Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    I happen to know someone who works with AIDS patients, and they tell me that this is BIG as far as AIDS news goes...

To me, it reminds me of "Jurassic Park" when Jeff Goldblum's character said, "Life Finds A Way". A virus is essentially a form of life. It's "evolving". Getting stronger.

Remember when AIDS was first discovered? It was in the early 80's. Progressively throughout the rest of that decade you heard more about it. So much so that everyone was afraid of contracting it. I also remember they said, you can't get it "this way", and then suddenly, "you could"...

Yeah, but we have to becareful with this. I am a very big AIDs activist, and while this news is big, its also good to note this man was heavy into CrystalMeth. That alone probably weakened his immune system, and could have altered his tolerance for drug therapy.

Let's make something clear: the current drug treatment has worked VERY well. We are very close to possibly getting a cure. It is true viruses mutate, but I think this might be a 1 in 1 billion chance.

Good find though.

Quote Originally Posted by Se7en
    Yeah, but we have to becareful with this. I am a very big AIDs activist, and while this news is big, its also good to note this man was heavy into CrystalMeth. That alone probably weakened his immune system, and could have altered his tolerance for drug therapy.

Let's make something clear: the current drug treatment has worked VERY well. We are very close to possibly getting a cure. It is true viruses mutate, but I think this might be a 1 in 1 billion chance.

Good find though.
    :D... I can't wait until my friend shows up... you two will get along just fine.

winketb Guest

Disturbing

Hi,
    I am the director of an AIDS Services agency in Philadelphia. This IS disturbing news, but, on the same token, not a complete surprise. Despite the lack of attention paid to HIV/AIDS, it has continued to spread. Moreover, despite our knowledge of how to prevent the spread of HIV, people continue to have unprotected sex, often abusing drugs while doing it. Some people on antiretrovirals misuse them, resulting in resistent strains. So it was just a matter of time before we witnessed a 'super' version of HIV. The AIDS epidemic is not confined to Africa. It is a worldwide epidemic (that includes this country) and recent policies of the current administration to cut entitlement programs such as Medical Assistance, HUD, substance abuse treatment and, ACTUALLY CUTTING AIDS PREVENTION FUNDING, will only exacerbate the incidence of HIV/AIDs in this country. Many poeple don't realize that when George Bush talks about changing Social Security, but not for people 55 years old and older, he is speaking about reducing or eliminating benefits for the disabled (including people living with HIV/AIDS) widows and surviving children. It continues to amaze me that we have the ability to create formitable commercial marketing, flooding the world with propaganda, or sales ads: we can even convince people to spend $70,000 for a Toyota by calling it a Lexus. Imagine the dent we could put in slowing the spread of HIV/AIDS in this country if we just used a fraction of that ability. In closing, its unfortunate that it takes horrific news like this new strain to start a dialogue about HIV/AIDS. I cannot describe how difficult it is to get people to talk about it, let alone change their behavior or, miraculously, offer support to an agency like mine. Over a billion dollars each was raised in a few weeks in response to the Tsaunami crisis and 911 respectively, yet every day 8,200 people die of AIDS every single day. In fact, 15 people have died since I started writing this response. If you would like to know more about my agency please visit www.bebashi.org

Quote Originally Posted by winketb
    Hi,
    I am the director of an AIDS Services agency in Philadelphia. This IS disturbing news, but, on the same token, not a complete surprise. Despite the lack of attention paid to HIV/AIDS, it has continued to spread. Moreover, despite our knowledge of how to prevent the spread of HIV, people continue to have unprotected sex, often abusing drugs while doing it. Some people on antiretrovirals misuse them, resulting in resistent strains. So it was just a matter of time before we witnessed a 'super' version of HIV. The AIDS epidemic is not confined to Africa. It is a worldwide epidemic (that includes this country) and recent policies of the current administration to cut entitlement programs such as Medical Assistance, HUD, substance abuse treatment and, ACTUALLY CUTTING AIDS PREVENTION FUNDING, will only exacerbate the incidence of HIV/AIDs in this country. Many poeple don't realize that when George Bush talks about changing Social Security, but not for people 55 years old and older, he is speaking about reducing or eliminating benefits for the disabled (including people living with HIV/AIDS) widows and surviving children. It continues to amaze me that we have the ability to create formitable commercial marketing, flooding the world with propaganda, or sales ads: we can even convince people to spend $70,000 for a Toyota by calling it a Lexus. Imagine the dent we could put in slowing the spread of HIV/AIDS in this country if we just used a fraction of that ability. In closing, its unfortunate that it takes horrific news like this new strain to start a dialogue about HIV/AIDS. I cannot describe how difficult it is to get people to talk about it, let alone change their behavior or, miraculously, offer support to an agency like mine. Over a billion dollars each was raised in a few weeks in response to the Tsaunami crisis and 911 respectively, yet every day 8,200 people die of AIDS every single day. In fact, 15 people have died since I started writing this response. If you would like to know more about my agency please visit www.bebashi.org
    That's a horrible statistic, and one that deserves the light of day... I'm going to create a thread specifically for you to promote www.bebashi.org

Nowhereman Guest
    Atleast no one has blamed Bush yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman
    I blame all of us to a certain extent. Certainly we can do more.

somebigguy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman
    No, bush isn't usually the cause of aids. It's when you take it up the ass instead.

Nowhereman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by somebigguy
    No, bush isn't usually the cause of aids. It's when you take it up the ass instead.
    :D:D :D