Thread: Harmid Karzai Wants End To U.S. Led Operations

Harmid Karzai Wants End To U.S. Led Operations

Karzai Wants End to U.S.-Led Operations

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050920/...ghan_karzai_us

By DANIEL COONEY, Associated Press Writer Tue Sep 20,10:47 AM ET

KABUL, Afghanistan - President Hamid Karzai on Tuesday challenged the need for major foreign military operations in Afghanistan, saying air strikes are no longer effective and that U.S.-led coalition forces should focus on rooting out terror bases and support networks.

Karzai also demanded an immediate end to foreign troops searching people's homes without his government's authorization.

"I don't think there is a big need for military activity in Afghanistan anymore," he told reporters in Kabul. "The nature of the war on terrorism in Afghanistan has changed now.

"No coalition forces should go to Afghan homes without the authorization of the Afghan government. ... The use of air power is something that may not be very effective now."

In suggesting a new approach to fighting militants, Karzai said foreign governments should "concentrate on where terrorists are trained, on their bases, on the supply to them, on the money coming to them" — a veiled reference to alleged support that the militants get from neighboring Pakistan.

Afghan officials have repeatedly accused Pakistan of aiding Taliban rebels and other militants, a charge Islamabad vehemently denies.

Karzai's comments came amid the biggest resurgence in Taliban violence since U.S.-led forces ousted the hard-line regime in 2001. More than 1,200 people have been killed in the past six months, many of them suspected rebels slain in coalition air strikes, according to information from Afghan and U.S. officials.

The country held legislative elections Sunday, the final step toward democracy on a path laid out in 2001.

Just hours before Karzai spoke, coalition commander Lt. Gen. Karl Eikenberry warned that he expected "more fighting in the weeks ahead."

"We are staying on the offensive against the enemies of Afghanistan, and we will continue that process throughout the fall and throughout the winter," Eikenberry told journalists.

But Karzai played down the militant threat, saying, "We do not think a serious terrorist challenge is emanating from Afghanistan."

The president did not specify whether he was referring to a threat from al-Qaida terrorists, Taliban rebels or both.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    I have no idea what this dude is smoking? I mean with all the assasination attempts on his life, I'd imagine he'd need all the help he can get since the taliban is still getting there groove on.

beltman713 Guest
    I'm sure he would like to keep his special forces body guards.

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beltman713
    I'm sure he would like to keep his special forces body guards.
    Yeah, did you see that shoot out a few years ago of special forces defending it. That was intense.