Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Republicans Intimidating Climate Change Scientists, Reminiscent Of "McArthyism"

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetlemming
    I did read the entire paragraph, as well as the entire story. And it makes me think that the Barton got suspicious after the scientists refused to give out information that, if they were correct, would prove them so, and demanded the info. Sounds like a decision I would have to agree with, instead of pussy footing around feeling sorry for scientists for having to prove they are right, instead of assuming they are.
    I'm not saying the scientists shouldn't be checked, and double-checked... I'm saying that a man, "Mr Barton, a Texan closely associated with the fossil-fuel lobby, has spent his 11 years as chairman opposing every piece of legislation designed to combat climate change." made the decision for the inquiry. The motive for the inquiry should be questioned, and if the motive is questioned, than the actions against the scientists should be questioned as well. That's all I'm saying.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

pcteaser Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    I'm not saying the scientists shouldn't be checked, and double-checked... I'm saying that a man, "Mr Barton, a Texan closely associated with the fossil-fuel lobby, has spent his 11 years as chairman opposing every piece of legislation designed to combat climate change." made the decision for the inquiry. The motive for the inquiry should be questioned, and if the motive is questioned, than the actions against the scientists should be questioned as well. That's all I'm saying.
    I'd say his motives are pretty obvious. Based on his history, it's not surprising he would initiate an investigation like this. Do we have to like it? No. Can we do anything about it? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by pcteaser
    I'd say his motives are pretty obvious. Based on his history, it's not surprising he would initiate an investigation like this. Do we have to like it? No. Can we do anything about it? Probably not.
    We can bitch and moan and create legislation that takes away "Special Interests" from Washington D.C. Especially wealthy ones with money to burn. I'm not saying all "Special Interests" groups are bad, but the ones capable of purchasing politicians should be outlawed.

Uber Commandante Guest
    but the next line is this:

'He is using the wide powers of his committee to force the scientists to produce great quantities of material after alleging flaws and lack of transparency in their research. He is working with Ed Whitfield, the chairman of the sub-committee on oversight and investigations.'

IF it is part of his job, and he has the power, to ensure that science that will affect US policy is based on solid research, then he should be doing that. The environmental movement is a multi-billion dollar industry - don't you think they have their own agendas, financial and otherwise? I think we would be foolish to think that they do not. Oil industry makes its money selling oil, and the environmental industry makes its money through fundraising and grants - in other words: marketing.

I'm just saying that all parties are probably suspect - frankly I'm not so sure anymore about Global Warming - I'm sure abou pollution - that's a no brainer - but how much faith do you put in the weatherman? Almost none. And that is just predicting a couple of days into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Uber Commandante
    but the next line is this:

'He is using the wide powers of his committee to force the scientists to produce great quantities of material after alleging flaws and lack of transparency in their research. He is working with Ed Whitfield, the chairman of the sub-committee on oversight and investigations.'

IF it is part of his job, and he has the power, to ensure that science that will affect US policy is based on solid research, then he should be doing that. The environmental movement is a multi-billion dollar industry - don't you think they have their own agendas, financial and otherwise? I think we would be foolish to think that they do not. Oil industry makes its money selling oil, and the environmental industry makes its money through fundraising and grants - in other words: marketing.

I'm just saying that all parties are probably suspect - frankly I'm not so sure anymore about Global Warming - I'm sure abou pollution - that's a no brainer - but how much faith do you put in the weatherman? Almost none. And that is just predicting a couple of days into the future.
    Oh yeah... well you stink. Put that in your pipe, and smoke it.

You're right... I hadn't thought about environmentalists as part of a business.

jetsetlemming Guest
    We can bitch and moan and create legislation that takes away "Special Interests" from Washington D.C. Especially wealthy ones with money to burn. I'm not saying all "Special Interests" groups are bad, but the ones capable of purchasing politicians should be outlawed.
    And that would what, stop Barton from making the inquiry because his backtound makes it seem that he might be biased? Assuming he his, he'd just go to another of his political friends, and say, "hey, these hippies are trying to change out industies using bogus science, since you have a record that they can't bitch about, could you make the inquiry?" The stupid hippies would still get chalanged by the greedy facist, just with someone else's name on it. You can't ban politians from having a point of view on issues and trying to represent those issues.