Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Study Shows 'Men Smarter Than Women'

beltman713 Guest

Study Shows 'Men Smarter Than Women'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4183166.stm

'Men cleverer than women' claim

Academics in the UK claim their research shows that men are more intelligent than women.

A study to be published later this year in the British Journal of Psychology says that men are on average five points ahead on IQ tests.

Paul Irwing and Professor Richard Lynn claim the difference grows when the highest IQ levels are considered.

Their research was based on IQ tests given to 80,000 people and a further study of 20,000 students.

'Widening gap'

Dr Irwing, a senior lecturer in organisational psychology at Manchester University, told the Today programme on BBC Radio Four the study showed that, up to the age of 14, there was no difference between the IQs of boys and girls.

"But beyond that age and into adulthood there is a difference of five points, which is small but it can have important implications," he said.

"This is against a background of women dramatically overtaking men in educational attainment and making very rapid advances in terms of occupational achievement."

The academics used a test which is said to measure "general cognitive ability" - spatial and verbal ability.

As intelligence scores among the study group rose, the academics say they found a widening gap between the sexes.

There were twice as many men with IQ scores of 125, for example, a level said to correspond with people getting first-class degrees.

At scores of 155, associated with genius, there were 5.5 men for every woman.

Nobel prize-winners

Dr Irwing told The Times the differences "may go some way to explaining the greater numbers of men achieving distinctions of various kinds, such as chess grandmasters, Fields medallists for mathematics, Nobel prize-winners and the like".

The paper will argue that there is evidence that at the same level of IQ, women are able to achieve more than men "possibly because they are more conscientious and better adapted to sustained periods of hard work".

Earlier this year, the president of Harvard University, Lawrence Summers, sparked controversy when he suggested at a seminar that one reason men outperformed women in maths and science was genetics.

Several guests walked out of the conference after hearing the comments.

Dr Summers, who has apologised repeatedly for his remarks, said later that the shortage of senior female academics was partly caused by child-minding duties, which restricted working hours.

Like they even need to report on it.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

somebigguy Guest
    Well duh.

pcteaser Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beltman713
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4183166.stm

'Men cleverer than women' claim

Academics in the UK claim their research shows that men are more intelligent than women.

A study to be published later this year in the British Journal of Psychology says that men are on average five points ahead on IQ tests.

Paul Irwing and Professor Richard Lynn claim the difference grows when the highest IQ levels are considered.

Their research was based on IQ tests given to 80,000 people and a further study of 20,000 students.

'Widening gap'

Dr Irwing, a senior lecturer in organisational psychology at Manchester University, told the Today programme on BBC Radio Four the study showed that, up to the age of 14, there was no difference between the IQs of boys and girls.

"But beyond that age and into adulthood there is a difference of five points, which is small but it can have important implications," he said.

"This is against a background of women dramatically overtaking men in educational attainment and making very rapid advances in terms of occupational achievement."

The academics used a test which is said to measure "general cognitive ability" - spatial and verbal ability.

As intelligence scores among the study group rose, the academics say they found a widening gap between the sexes.

There were twice as many men with IQ scores of 125, for example, a level said to correspond with people getting first-class degrees.

At scores of 155, associated with genius, there were 5.5 men for every woman.

Nobel prize-winners

Dr Irwing told The Times the differences "may go some way to explaining the greater numbers of men achieving distinctions of various kinds, such as chess grandmasters, Fields medallists for mathematics, Nobel prize-winners and the like".

The paper will argue that there is evidence that at the same level of IQ, women are able to achieve more than men "possibly because they are more conscientious and better adapted to sustained periods of hard work".

Earlier this year, the president of Harvard University, Lawrence Summers, sparked controversy when he suggested at a seminar that one reason men outperformed women in maths and science was genetics.

Several guests walked out of the conference after hearing the comments.

Dr Summers, who has apologised repeatedly for his remarks, said later that the shortage of senior female academics was partly caused by child-minding duties, which restricted working hours.
    After thinking about it, I have to agree with the study. Men are smarter in the sense that they put themselves first when it comes to academic achievement, while women will typically put their families first. As such, we do have fewer women who win Nobel Prizes.

And, making an assumption here because this was not my experience, but women aren't raised with the expectation of being super-intelligent.

So, are there more men than women out there who are as smart as I am? I suppose so.

Quote Originally Posted by pcteaser
    After thinking about it, I have to agree with the study. Men are smarter in the sense that they put themselves first when it comes to academic achievement, while women will typically put their families first. As such, we do have fewer women who win Nobel Prizes.

And, making an assumption here because this was not my experience, but women aren't raised with the expectation of being super-intelligent.

So, are there more men than women out there who are as smart as I am? I suppose so.
    Huh?

There's only one person in the world smarter than I am... and HE'S not here right this second.

somebigguy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    There's only one person in the world smarter than I am... and HE'S not here right this second.
    No, I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by somebigguy
    No, I'm right here.
    Nope... sorry my friend... not you.

Click here to see the smartest man I know.

somebigguy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    Click here to see the smartest man I know.
    Oh please, that guy is so overrated. Sure 2000 years ago he was doing stuff, he hasn't done shit lately though.