Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The State Of The Union Address

We are one terrorist attack away from Martial Law

No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

"As you stand with liberty, America stands with you."

Did he just call for a Revolution on the part of the Iranians?

Good Doctor HST Guest
    Because force is a word people like to hear. It makes spreading freedom sound like us going out and kicking butt. Language is a very powerful weapon. I'm telling ya, you gotta read the new book by George Lakoff on how progressives can fight back. He goes into detail on how language can rally the people.

danceyogamom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    From Someone Who Knows... My Dad

Me: What would your comment be to this?

My Dad: what

Me: Privatizing Social Security? Isn't that what 401k's and IRA's are for?

I don't understand how giving everyone more money for retirement (by greater interest paid out for private accounts) would lessen the deficit. Am I missing something?

My Dad: Yes, By allowing individuals to save privately, there is a better chance for them to accumulate more funds for retirement. If you take the idea of 2,000 a year for 40 years, you would have over $1,000,000 that would give the person $50,000 a year at 5%, or much more than social security. The only difference is the disability coverage.

Me: Disability coverage for what?

My Dad: Like ***** was sick and couldn't work. He got money, etc...

Me: Would that be gone with this initiative?

My Dad: yes

Me: How do you know? He didn't say that...

My Dad: Because if you are not putting into the system, they don't have money to pay out.

Me: Ok... thanks
    your dad's disability point is a good one ... lots of people collect on social security for disability or death of a legal guardian. Some people are fortunate enough to be well enough insured to cover those things ... but most people are not.

If our government is going to provide for priviatized retirement then they should also consider diability and death benefits ...

Good Doctor HST Guest
    What I'm trying to get at but can't understand is this: When you invest money into the U.S. treasury (by bonds, privatized accounts, etc.), they pay you interest at a certain percent, like 5-6%.... Where do they get the extra money? I guess not covering disability and cutting health-care for workers is a start. How do they turn around the domestic deficit? It's frustrating to be fiscally challenged!

[QUOTE=Good Doctor HST]

What I'm trying to get at but can't understand is this: When you invest money into the U.S. treasury (by bonds, privatized accounts, etc.), they pay you interest at a certain percent, like 5-6%.... Where do they get the extra money? I guess not covering disability and cutting health-care for workers is a start. How do they turn around the domestic deficit? It's frustrating to be fiscally challenged!
    What does % mean?

They died for our freedom? We're already free. Or so I thought.

Good Doctor HST Guest
    We said goodbye to those fallen soldiers..... in private, b/c we don't show them coming home in a box....

This is a good scene though... the sargent's Mom and the Iraqi embracing.... the only good part so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Doctor HST
    We said goodbye to those fallen soldiers..... in private, b/c we don't show them coming home in a box....

This is a good scene though... the sargent's Mom and the Iraqi embracing.... the only good part so far.
    yeah

danceyogamom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Doctor HST
    I do believe they invest your original deposit at a higher return than you are guaranteed ...

So if you buy a 50 dollar bond - they take your 50 bucks, invest it and get 10% back ... and then give you 5%, keeping 5 for themselves ...

Of course, that was an unresearched answer - but I *think* that is how it works.