View Poll Results: Would You Allow A Draft After Another Terrorist Attack?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 7.41%
  • No

25 92.59%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Would You Allow A Draft After Another Terrorist Attack?

AuGmENTor Guest
    Not that I know of... It went like this. Chana posted on this thread, and I read back to where the above quoted jerk-off origionally posted. And I kinda got caught up in the moment, and started cursing him out event though I'm sure he's long gone.

AuGmENTor Guest
    Bush War Adviser Says Draft Worth a Look
    Aug 10 06:25 PM US/Eastern
    By RICHARD LARDNER
    WASHINGTON (AP) - Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

"And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another," Lute added in his first interview since he was confirmed by the Senate in June.

President Nixon abolished the draft in 1973. Restoring it, Lute said, would be a "major policy shift" and Bush has made it clear that he doesn't think it's necessary.

The repeated deployments affect not only the troops but their families, who can influence whether a service member decides to stay in the military, Lute said.

"There's both a personal dimension of this, where this kind of stress plays out across dinner tables and in living room conversations within these families," he said. "And ultimately, the health of the all- volunteer force is going to rest on those sorts of personal family decisions."

The military conducted a draft during the Civil War and both world wars and between 1948 and 1973. The Selective Service System, re- established in 1980, maintains a registry of 18-year-old men.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., has called for reinstating the draft as a way to end the Iraq war.

Bush picked Lute in mid-May as a deputy national security adviser with responsibility for ensuring efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan are coordinated with policymakers in Washington. Lute, an active-duty general, was chosen after several retired generals turned down the job.