Thread: Sibel Edmonds: Letters To DoD, The Armed Services Committee And White House Counsel

Sibel Edmonds: Letters To DoD, The Armed Services Committee And White House Counsel

Here follow four letters pertaining to the case of 9/11 whistleblower Sibel Edmonds, who has formed an alliance of many watchdog and 9/11 family groups in support of Whistleblower protection and the reinstatement of her suit against the FBI. Post 9/11 Ms. Edmonds discovered evidence that the FBI has in fact recieved specific warnings in April of 2001 of an attack involving airplanes on 4 or 5 American cities. The implications of this information surfacing and the cover-up by the government are obvious. --Kyle F. Hence, 9/11 CitizensWatch January 24, 2005

VIA CERTIFIED MAIL AND FACSIMILE

Joseph E. Schmitz
    Inspector General
    U.S. Department of Defense
    400 Army Navy Drive Room 1000
    Arlington, Virginia 22202-4704

Dear Mr. Schmitz:

I am writing on behalf of our client Sibel Edmonds who, since August 7, 2002, has been in touch with your office on several occasions to raise serious allegations of security concerns regarding Air Force Major Douglas Dickerson. In light of new information issued by the U.S. Department of Justice's Office of Inspector General, we reiterate Ms. Edmonds' request that the Department of Defense ("DoD") initiate and complete a thorough security investigation of Major Dickerson.

There exists credible documentary and witness evidence that Major Dickerson and his wife, Melek Can Dickerson, who formerly possessed access to TS/SCI through the Federal Bureau of Investigation, no longer possess the requisite degree of trust and integrity required to continue to have access to classified information. Indeed, our client believes Major Dickerson has committed numerous violations of the DoD Defense Personnel Security Program regulations. See, DOD Inspector General Regulation 5200.2-R. This would include activities that would render Major Dickerson subject to a revocation of his security clearance under the applicable adjudicatory guidelines involving, and perhaps not limited to, "allegiance to the United States", "foreign influence", "foreign preference", "personal conduct", "criminal conduct", "security violations", and "outside activities".

Based on her initial contact with your office, my client received a response letter dated August 22, 2002, that noted her complaint would be investigated under Hotline case number 85069. This was subsequently amended to include both case number 85069 and 85070. Less than three weeks later, Colonel James Worth, USAF, Director Inquiries Directorate, stated in a letter dated September 10, 2002, that there was "no evidence of any deviation from the scope of his [Major Dickerson] duties", and that "we have closed the matter". Ms. Edmonds contacted Colonel Worth's office, and was told that due to a request from the Department of Justice the matter had been transferred there. During this time, Major Dickerson and his wife left the country in September 2002, even though they were allegedly under investigation by the Department of Justice.

Subsequent contacts with your office that were initiated by Ms. Edmonds' prior counsel and the office of Senator Warner failed to achieve any substantive result. Your letter to Senator Warner dated April 16, 2004, claimed that no further inquiry is warranted, and that the Air Force Office of Special Investigation ("AFOSI") had interviewed Ms. Edmonds and investigated the allegations in 2002. However, this assertion is completely inaccurate.

The "interview" with Ms. Edmonds consisted of an unannounced visit to her home at which time she provided the agent only with the name and telephone number of her then attorney so that a proper interview could be arranged. However, her attorney was never contacted and therefore the interview never took place. It is inconceivable that the AFOSI could have completed a proper investigation without having interviewed the key witnesses, including and especially the individual who had filed the allegations that had led to the investigation.

As you know, I have handled many security clearance cases over the years and I am often involved in administrative and litigation cases that pertain to national security issues. Based on the historical record as I understand it, I am at a loss to explain the apparent failure of the DoD to take Ms. Edmonds' allegations seriously.

Nevertheless, you do not need to rely on my concerns and experiences for your basis to reopen and complete a proper and thorough investigation. The recent conclusions issued by your counterpart within the Department of Justice should be impetus enough to satisfy you that further action is warranted. Just last week, the DOJ-IG released its Unclassified Summary Report titled "A Review of the FBI's Actions in Connection With Allegations Raised By Contract Linguist Sibel Edmonds". A copy of the report is available online at http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/ oigspecr1.htm. Some of the conclusions included:

We found that many of Edmonds' core allegations relating to the co-worker [Melek Can Dickerson, wife of Major Douglas Dickerson] were supported by either documentary evidence or witnesses other than Edmonds.

[I]t is clear from the OIG's investigation that the facts giving rise to Edmonds' concerns could have been uncovered had the FBI investigated Edmonds' allegations further.

The majority of the allegations raised by Edmonds related to the actions of a co-worker [Melek Can Dickerson, wife of Major Douglas Dickerson]. The allegations raised concerns that, if true, could potentially have extremely damaging consequences for the FBI . These allegations warranted a thorough and careful review by the FBI.

Based on the public release of the above report, the FBI issued a statement on January 14, 2005, a copy of which is available at http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel05/011405.htm, claiming its investigation was continuing. Obviously, the references to the FBI and its investigation pertain predominantly, if not entirely, to its former contract linguist Melek Can Dickerson, and not to her husband. However, her husband, as an active Air Force Officer, remains under the control and authority of the Department of Defense, particularly with respect to his security clearance, and it is the DoD's responsibility to investigate his activities. This is particularly so when serious allegations of misconduct have been raised.

Please be reminded that Senators Patrick Leahy and Charles Grassley previously publicly revealed that the "FBI has confirmed that the contract linguist had 'unreported contacts' with [a] foreign official," and that the FBI confirmed many of Ms. Edmonds' allegations concerning the Dickersons. Copies of the letters sent by the Senators are enclosed for your convenience. Yet, as far as is known, Major Dickerson's activities and conduct have never been investigated and he remains able to access TS/SCI without regard to the potential risks to the national security interests of the United States that this causes.

Particularly in light of the damning conclusions issued by the Department of Justice's Office of Inspector General, Ms. Edmonds' once again requests that your office initiate an investigation into the conduct and activities of Major Dickerson. Ms. Edmonds and her husband, who also possesses pertinent information, are available and willing to fully cooperate with the Department. All interview and information requests should, of course, appropriately be coordinated through our office.

I look forward to hearing from you soon, and to having Ms. Edmonds assist your office's efforts to protect the national security interests of the United States.

Sincerely,
    Mark S. Zaid

Enclosures
    cc: Defense Security Service
    Office of Special Investigations
    U.S. Department of Air Force
    Senator Patrick Leahy
    Senator Charles Grassley
    Sibel Edmonds

====================

Letter To Senator John Warner

January 25, 2005

Senator John Warner, Chairman
    U.S. Senate Committee on Armed Services
    228 Russell Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510

RE: Major Douglas Dickerson.

Dear Senator Warner:

As you are aware, I have contacted your office several times regarding this matter, and wish to thank you again for your past efforts in contacting the Department of Defense. However, there still does not appear to have been a serious effort on the part of DoD to properly investigate this very serious issue; and they have given you a run-around in response to each of your inquiries, as is evidenced by their letter dated April 16, 2004 (copy attached). Their statement that AFOSI "interviewed" me during 2002 is misleading at best. The "interview" with me consisted of an un-announced visit to my home, during which I gave the "interviewer" the name and phone number of my attorneys so that a proper interview could be arranged; my attorneys were never contacted and the interview never occurred. How is it possible for the DoD-IG to claim that AFOSI conducted a serious investigation without having even interviewed key witnesses?

The DOJ-IG has just issued its Unclassified Summary report - January 2005 - titled "A Review of the FBI's Actions in Connection With Allegations Raised By Contract Linguist Sibel Edmonds". Which states, in part "We found that many of Edmonds' core allegations relating to the co-worker [Melek Can Dickerson, wife of Major Douglas Dickerson] were supported by either documentary evidence or witnesses other than Edmonds [emphasis added]". (10) (copy available at http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/igspecr1.htm )

Given the serious nature of the issues involved, including possible espionage against the United States by a member of the Armed Forces and/or his wife, I cannot understand nor accept the failure of the DoD to properly investigate. The DOJ-IG report does confirm my allegations, and the FBI itself has stated that it is now investigating Melek Can Dickerson. It is time for the DoD to quit stalling.

I am attaching a copy of my attorney's letter to the DoD-IG, with its attachments, again requesting a thorough investigation of Major Dickerson. I also request that in your capacity as Chairman of the Armed Services Committee, with oversight responsibility, you take whatever action you deem necessary to insure that the DoD does what it has failed to date to do - properly conduct a thorough investigation of Major Douglas Dickerson. I stand ready to do my part to assist you and the DoD in your efforts to protect the security interests of the United States.

Sincerely yours,
    Sibel D Edmonds

====================

September 2002 Letter to Alberto Gonzales

September 3, 2002

Via Fax to: 202-456-6279

Alberto Gonzales, White House Counsel
    The White House
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. Gonzales:

I wish to bring to your attention a very urgent and serious security matter involving Major Douglas Dickerson, who is currently on assignment for the Department of the Air Force at Bolling Air Force Base in Washington, D.C., and who is scheduled to depart the U.S. September 6 or 7 for assignment in Belgium, and his wife, Melek Can Dickerson.

Major Dickerson and his wife are currently under investigation in the U.S. for security related issues that are breaches of U.S. Department of Defense security regulations. Misconduct and serious security breaches caused by Mrs. Dickerson while she was employed by FBI are currently under investigation by the U. S. Senate Judiciary Committee and the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Inspector General. Mrs. Dickersons activities at the FBI raise serious doubts concerning security in the FBI's WFO language department, and bring into question the ability of the department to provide effective translation services in the war on terrorism.

For further information matter, attached are copies of; a letter from the Inspector General of the Department of Defense, my letter to Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld, statements issued by the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Patrick Leahy, and a senior Judiciary Committee member, Senator Charles Grassley. Also attached are copies of recent Washington Post and Cox News Service articles.

The immediate urgency is that the Dickersons, who are the key figures in this matter, are leaving the U.S. September 6 or 7. Mrs. Dickerson holds dual citizenships, and once she leaves the U.S. there is no assurance that she can ever be brought back when the need arises. At the very least, the Dickersons should be required to remain in the U.S. until a thorough investigation has been completed and all issues resolved.

If you have any questions or desire additional information, please do not hesitate to contact my attorneys: David K. Colapinto and Stephen M. Kohn, at Kohn, Kohn & Colapinto, P.C., 3233 P Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20007-2756; telephone: (202) 342-6980; fax: (202) 342-6984.

Thank you for your urgent attention to this matter.

Sincerely yours,

Sibel D Edmonds

====================
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

September 2002 Letter to DOD-IG

September 19, 2002

Via Fax: (703) 604-8567

Joseph E. Schmitz
    Inspector General
    U.S. Department of Defense
    The Pentagon
    Washington, D.C.

Dear Inspector General Schmitz:

We represent Ms. Sibel Edmonds, who filed allegations regarding violations of the DOD Personnel Security Program by letter dated August 7, 2002. An inquiry into Ms. Edmonds' allegations was opened under Hotline case number 85069.

By letter dated September 10, 2002, Colonel James N. Worth, Director, Inquiries Directorate, Office of the Inspector General, Department of the Air Force, informed Ms. Edmonds that the matter was being closed as a result of the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFSOI) having conducted a complete and thorough review of her concerns. I am writing to bring to your direct attention our concern that this matter was not thoroughly or completely investigated and that this matter was not properly handled. In addition, we ask that your office look into this matter further and investigate these very serious matters.

Ms. Edmonds alleged in her letter of August 7th that both Major Douglas Dickerson and his wife, Melek Can Dickerson,1/ have committed numerous violations of the U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) Personnel Security Program. Improper contacts with foreign governments, officials or organizations by spouses of military personnel also constitute violations of the DOD Personnel Security Program. In addition, a security risk may exist when an individual's family members may be subject to duress or other potential influence by a foreign country.

Notably, in his letter of September 10th, Col. Worth states that OSI's investigation focused on "Major Dickerson's relationship with the American-Turkish Council." This statement is very troubling for a number of reasons. First, Ms. Edmonds never even mentioned the name of this organization in any of her communications with the DOD, DOD IG, Department of the Air Force IG, and AFOSI, concerning this matter. Second, Ms. Edmonds' concerns are not limited to whatever contacts Major Dickerson might have with the American-Turkish Council. Third, this statement by Col. Worth is evidence that the AFOSI and the Air Force IG did not properly review Ms. Edmonds' concerns in this matter. Fourth, Col. Worth's letter characterized Ms. Edmonds' concerns in the narrowest and most limited way which demonstrates that both the AFOSI and the Air Force IG did not appreciate the gravity and seriousness of Ms. Edmonds' allegations in this matter.

There is no indication that either the AFOSI or the Air Force IG has investigated the Dickersons' relationships with other organizations and individuals which would be necessary in order to conduct a complete and thorough investigation of this matter. In addition, neither Ms. Edmonds nor her counsel was requested by AFOSI or the Air Force IG to provide additional information. Without obtaining additional information from Ms. Edmonds it would be impossible for the AFOSI or the Air Force IG to obtain the detailed information regarding the identities of the organization(s)/individual(s) and the scope of their relationships to the Dickersons. In addition, there are a number of other allegations of wrongdoing that have been made (a number of which have already been substantiated) against Mrs. Dickerson, which would constitute additional violations of the DOD Personnel Security Program. Once again, there is no indication that either the AFOSI or the Air Force IG is even aware of these matters involving Mrs. Dickerson which impact her husband's clearance, let alone that a complete and thorough review of such allegations has taken place.

We are hereby providing you with additional information so that you may commence an investigation immediately. These allegations involve extremely serious matters, including but not limited to several leaks of sensitive information by Mrs. Dickerson to a foreign country and direct threats that were made by Mrs. Dickerson against Ms. Edmonds and her family. These allegations are also considered serious by the Senate Judiciary Committee. See, Letter from Sen. Patrick J. Leahy and Sen. Charles E. Grassley to Hon. John Ashcroft (August 13, 2002), attached hereto.2/ We also incorporate herein all of the allegations contained in the attached August 13th letter from Senators Leahy and Grassley to Attorney General Ashcroft.

Mrs. Dickerson was a contract monitor at the FBI Washington Field Office translations department and was granted a security clearance by the FBI to work as contract monitor to perform translation services for the FBI commencing in October or November, 2001. However, Mrs. Dickerson had past and ongoing associations with one or more subject(s) or target(s) of an ongoing FBI investigation and failed to disclose those associations to the FBI. In June, 2002, the FBI confirmed in an unclassified briefing to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee that Mrs. Dickerson did, in fact, have undisclosed contacts with a foreign official who was the subject or target of an FBI investigation.3/

Ms. Edmonds believes there is credible evidence that both Mrs. Dickerson and her husband, Major Dickerson, had ongoing improper and undisclosed contacts with one or more foreign officials. Such improper contacts are not limited to whatever contacts the Dickersons may have with the American-Turkish Council. Notably, the public record already reflects that the Dickersons maintained frequent associations with foreign nationals (aside from whatever relationship with the American-Turkish Council they may have). We believe that those associations and the frequency of such associations were not reported by the Dickersons as required by FBI/DOJ and DOD requirements, and that these associations are such that the Dickersons would be vulnerable to coercion, exploitation, or pressure from a foreign government.

Moreover, the Dickersons made statements to Ms. Edmonds and others that reflect that the Dickersons have a substantial financial interest in a foreign country that makes both of them vulnerable to foreign influence.

In addition, Mrs. Dickerson was assigned to translate information obtained from FBI wire-taps concerning one or more subject(s) or target(s) of an investigation, but she had past and ongoing improper and undisclosed contacts with the subject(s) or target(s). Mrs. Dickerson is suspected of leaking information to one or more targets of an FBI investigation to which she was assigned to perform translation services.

Mrs. Dickerson also improperly instructed Ms. Edmonds and another employee at the FBI not to listen and translate certain FBI wire-taps because Mrs. Dickerson claimed that she knew the subject(s) and was confident that there would be nothing important to translate concerning those subject(s) or their conversations.

When Ms. Edmonds refused to go along with Mrs. Dickerson's instruction and, after Ms. Edmonds reported Mrs. Dickerson's conduct to FBI management, Mrs. Dickerson threatened the lives and safety of Mrs. Edmonds and her family members, who were citizens of, and resided in, a foreign country. Ms. Edmonds alleges that Mrs. Dickerson made such threats because Ms. Edmonds refused to go along with Mrs. Dickerson's scheme to obstruct justice and because Ms. Edmonds reported her concerns about Mrs. Dickerson's wrongdoing to FBI management.

As a result of misconduct by Mrs. Dickerson, numerous translations were not properly conducted, and/or intentionally not conducted, which threatened intelligence and law enforcement investigations related to September 11th and other ongoing counter-terrorist, counter-intelligence and law enforcement investigations. As a result of Mrs. Dickerson's misconduct, extremely sensitive and material information was deliberately withheld from FBI translations.

In addition, FBI work order documents concerning translations related to September 11th investigations were falsified and contained forgeries of Ms. Edmonds' name and/or initials.

By letter dated May 8, 2002, Ms. Edmonds, through counsel, notified Attorney General John Ashcroft and FBI Director Robert S. Mueller, III, that as a direct result of the FBI's failure to address or correct the serious misconduct and security breaches that were reported by Ms. Edmonds, the safety and security of Ms. Edmonds and her family has been jeopardized and that a foreign country has targeted Ms. Edmonds' sister to be interrogated "and taken/arrested by force." Ms. Edmonds' counsel's letter of May 8, 2002 to the Attorney General and FBI Director also provided them with a copy of the arrest warrant served by the foreign country at the residence of Ms. Edmonds' sister in the foreign country together with a copy of the English translation of the arrest warrant.4/

We believe that the warrant that was issued to Ms. Edmonds' sister in the foreign country is the direct result of improper contacts between the Dickersons and a foreign country, and was a result of the threats that were made by Mrs. Dickerson when she threatened the lives and safety of Mrs. Edmonds and her family members, who were citizens of, and resided in, that same foreign country. In addition, we believe that the threats made by Mrs. Dickerson, and the issuance of the arrest warrant, were the result of improper and undisclosed contacts by Mrs. Dickerson and Major Dickerson with a foreign official. Such acts taken by Mrs. Dickerson (and other statements made and conduct by both Dickersons) would indicate a preference for a foreign country over the United States which would also make Major Dickerson prone to provide information or make decisions that are harmful to the interests of the United States, and such acts reflect a level of personal conduct and outside activities that raise a security concern that may be disqualifying. Our concern in this regard is heightened by the fact that it is alleged that Mrs. Dickerson has maintained dual citizenship with a foreign country and has continued to possess a foreign passport from that same country as well as by the statements to others by both Major and Mrs. Dickerson that they have financial or business interests in that foreign country.

It is inconceivable how the Department of Defense could tolerate permitting one of its military officers to have access to classified information under such circumstances, especially when that officer's spouse is alleged to have: (1) threatened another person employed as a translator for the FBI on counter-terrorism and counter-intelligence cases; (2) committed other misconduct and serious security violations while employed by the FBI (such as having unreported contacts with one or more foreign officials while performing translation services for the FBI regarding conversations involving the same foreign officials); and (3) to make matters worse, carried out those threats by leaking information about the FBI translator to a foreign country (or agents thereof) so retaliation could be carried out against members of the FBI translator's family who resided in that foreign country. Moreover, as outlined above, there is more than sufficient information to require a security investigation of Major Dickerson based on foreign influence, foreign preference, personal conduct, security violations, and outside activities. See, e.g., Adjudicative Desk Reference (ADR), Adjudicative Guidelines, Version 2.2, pp. 3-13 (July, 2001) (Guidelines B, C, E, K, and L).5/

Additionally, we do not believe that Major Dickerson could be considered an "innocent spouse" and there is ample evidence that he was involved in (and/or had knowledge of and failed to report) many of the activities of his wife that comprise her acts of misconduct. Moreover, in light of the serious allegations raised against Mrs. Dickerson, and the alleged involvement of Major Dickerson in his wife's nefarious activities with, or on behalf of, foreign interests, Major Dickerson is vulnerable to coercion, exploitation, or pressure from foreign interests.

We do not believe that these matters could have been thoroughly or completely reviewed in the short time that AFOSI and the Air Force IG devoted to reviewing Ms. Edmonds' letter of August 7th. After reviewing this matter further we believe that you will agree that Ms. Edmonds' allegations of Personnel Security violations are very serious and that they warrant further investigation by your office. For all of the above reasons we hereby request that you re-open this matter and that the DOD OIG thoroughly investigate these matters.

Please direct all correspondence or communications about these matters to this office. If you, or anyone at the Department of Defense or Inspector General's offices, has any questions regarding this matter please feel free to contact me. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

David K. Colapinto
    Attorney for Ms. Edmonds

Enclosure

cc: Senator Patrick J. Leahy,
    Senator Charles E. Grassley
    Senator John Warner

====================

August 2002 Letter to DOD-IG

August 7, 2002

Via U.S. Certified Mail
    Return-Receipt Requested
    and Via Fax

Joseph E. Schmitz, DOD Inspector General
    400 Army Navy Drive Room 1000
    Arlington, VA 22202-4704

Dear Mr. Schmitz:

I wish to bring to your attention a very urgent and serious matter involving Major Douglas Dickerson, who is currently on assignment for the Department of the Air Force at Bolling Air Force Base in Washington, D.C. I believe that Major Dickerson and his wife, Melek Can Dickerson, have committed numerous violations of the U.S. Department of Defense ("DOD") Personnel Security Program. See, DOD Inspector General Regulation 5200.2-R. I believe there is credible evidence to indicate that both Major Dickerson and his wife have been subjected to improper "foreign influence", indicated a "foreign preference", involved with "outside activities" and membership in organizations that could create an increased risk of unauthorized disclosure of classified information, had improper and unreported contacts with foreign officials and/or other entities under the control of foreign influence, and both of them have engaged in other conduct that would make them untrustworthy and unreliable for the purpose of maintaining a security clearance with the United States government.

The misconduct and serious security breaches caused by Mrs. Dickerson while she was employed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation ("FBI") are currently under investigation by the United States Senate Judiciary Committee and the U.S. Department of Justice ("DOJ") Office of Inspector General ("OIG"). As supporting information, attached are copies of statements issued by the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Patrick Leahy, and a senior Judiciary Committee member, Senator Charles Grassley. Also attached is a recent Washington Post article concerning this matter.

Mr. Dickerson has stated that he is scheduled for assignment to Belgium, after which he and his wife plan to retire early to another country. Both the FBI and the Department of the Air Force have confirmed that Mr. Dickerson is scheduled to leave the U.S. for Belgium on September 6, 2002. Mr. and Mrs. Dickerson are currently under subpoena to testify as witnesses in a civil case, and the FBI and the Department of the Air Force have requested a delay in their testimony until September 3 and September 4, immediately prior to the Dickersons' scheduled departure.
    Mr. and Mrs. Dickerson's knowledge and testimony are vital on these matters. It is imperative that both be readily available in the U.S. for the ongoing OIG and Senate investigations, as well as the related civil case.

I cannot overstate the seriousness and urgency of this matter. Attached please find a letter from my attorneys to the Attorney General dated May 8, 2002, which states that as a result of the Dickersons' improper relationship with a foreign country and the misconduct of Mrs. Dickerson, my safety and security and the safety and security of my family has been jeopardized. Attached to that letter is credible evidence that a foreign country has targeted my relatives to be interrogated and "taken/arrested by force" by serving an arrest warrant at the residence of my sister, which is the result of the improper relationship between the Dickersons and the foreign country. This incident further demonstrates a clear breach of the DOD's security regulations.

I specifically request that you personally take prompt and immediate corrective action. In addition, I demand that the DOD take action to prevent the Dickersons from leaving the United States so that these alleged security violations can be fully investigated. In addition, I request that if it is determined that any individual has violated the DOD's security regulations, they can be held accountable and prosecuted to the fullest extent permitted by law.

If you have any questions or desire additional information, please do not hesitate to contact my attorneys: David K. Colapinto and Stephen M. Kohn, at Kohn, Kohn & Colapinto, P.C., 3233 P Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20007-2756; telephone: (202) 342-6980; fax: (202) 342-6984.

Thank you in advance for taking time to address my concerns.

Sincerely yours,

Sibel D Edmonds

bump

bump