Iran's new president: Scrap all WMDs

http://english1.people.com.cn:80/200...04_200255.html

(Gold9472: Interesting philosophy.)

8/4/2005

Iran's new President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad took office Wednesday with an appeal for an end to weapons of mass destruction and pledging to fight for justice and prosperity for Iranians.

Ahmadinejad, 49, was formally installed at a ceremony led by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei after coming from nowhere to win a stunning election victory in June.

"I will plead for the suppression of all weapons of mass destruction," Ahmadinejad said after taking office in a ceremony attended by government leaders and foreign ambassadors.

"Iran wants to see the establishment of lasting peace and justice," he said. "I will work for international justice because the world is starved of justice."

After formally endorsing Ahmadinejad as president, Khamenei called on the new government not to give up "the rights of the nation."

"Iranian leaders have no right to give up the nation's economic and political rights. These rights must be defended," Khamenei said.

"I congratulate the Iranian people for their vote, I confirm that vote and name Ahmadinejad president of the Islamic Republic of Iran," Khamenei said in a declaration read by outgoing President Mohammad Khatami.

"As servant of the Iranian nation, I want to defend its independence, our national interests and the religion of Islam. I want to defend the interests of citizens both inside and outside the country," said Ahmadinejad.

"I wish to extend justice, to be good to all God's subjects, to serve the people of Iran, to offer them progress and financial prosperity."

He pledged to pay "special attention to the disadvantaged," in a speech that also paid homage to the founder of the Islamic republic Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeiny, to the "martyrs of the revolution" and veterans of the war with Iraq.

It was the first indication from Ahmadinejad of how Iran will look under his rule. The first non-cleric to hold the post since 1981, he is Iran's sixth president since the revolution and will serve a four-year term.

Ahmadinejad has pledged to extend "the hand of friendship" to the international community, and made clear that he is ready to work with any country that does not show animosity to Iran.

Landslide victory
According to the constitution of the Islamic republic, Wednesday's ceremony marked the beginning of the new president's assumption of power, but he will also be sworn in at another inauguration held on Saturday in the Majlis - Iran's parliament.

Ahmadinejad, the former Teheran mayor, defeated former President Rafsanjani with a landslide victory of 61.69 per cent of the total eligible votes in the ninth presidential election in June.

Ahmadinejad earned his positive reputation from the merits of improving the traffic condition and stabilizing prices in the sprawling and polluted capital city.

He has an uncompromising attitude towards the nuclear issue and relations with the United States.

At his first press conference after being elected, Ahmadinejad said his cabinet would "never give up Iran's legal rights under any circumstances" and would have no intention to improve relations with the United States.

Ahmadinejad embodies the values of Iran's 1979 Islamic revolution.

He is considered a representative of the country's ultra-conservatives and a close disciple of Khamenei.

Ahmadinejad was born into a blacksmith's family in 1956 in a countryside to the southeast of Teheran.

At 19, he began his studies at Teheran Industry and Technology University. After earning his undergraduate degree, he twice returned to the University and was awarded a PhD in transportation engineering in 1997.

He began his political career as consultant to the mayor of the southwestern city Shahr Kord after completing his undergraduate studies in the late 1970s.

During the 1980-88 war against Iraq, Ahmadinejad spent several years in the armed forces. He categorically denies claims that he used to work as a secret agent during this period of time.

Ahmadinejad was later appointed mayor of the northwestern city of Maku bordering Turkey. In the late 1990s, he became governor of the northwestern province of Ardabil, a post that won him the honour of "model governor" for three consecutive years.

Source: China Daily