Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: They Know...

Quote Originally Posted by princesskittypoo
    i'm a republiscum are you afraid of me Golden boy???
    Yep. Scary.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

danceyogamom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Doctor HST
    Your answer of no is the only choice you have. And feeling ashamed about it would be normal too. I mean, you could make some cutbacks, everybody could, but to give up transportation and other necessities would be ridiculous.

I like what you said up there: a global communal goal - It sounds great when put like that, but take out -al and add -ism and flashing red lights go off... yes, even to this day Communism is evil.

My thinking: Capitalism isn't all it's cracked up to be. My thoughts are it breeds corruption, and society doesn't benefit from individuals going for theirs like we've been taught. But, that's just me.
    I'm not sure we can limit the greed and corruption to capitalism ... I believe its part of the human condition. Any political system any great thinker has created on paper has been corrurpted in some way by the people who try to actualize the concept.

Greed starts in infancy, its a survival instinct ... unfortunately, we (as a general group) haven't learned yet that we don't need it to survive anymore.

danceyogamom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by danceyogamom
    I do ... (of course I'm having tea)

I'd like to think that we should work towards the general good of humanity - a global communal goal ... I'd like to think *I* would make that choice (and teach my children that choice)

But am I willing to give up my car? Am I willing to haul my bbs around on public transportation in order to get groceries? Am I willing to cut down on drinking tea - not boil so much water - in order to conserve energy ...

I could continue to list the comforts in my life that stem from oil ...

sadly, the answer is no ...
    (and I feel rather ashamed of it too)
    I was listening to Living on Earth this morning, and this segment made me think of this thread ...

Environmental Report Card

specifically this quote from it "ESTY: Old myths die hard, and I think the myth you have to sacrifice economically to be environmentally sound is one that's persisted for decades. And I think this is where we really need to look at the data and have policy driven off the real facts and not people's long-standing opinions which may be misinformed. "