Thread: Families Press CIA To Release 9/11 Report

Families Press CIA To Release 9/11 Report

Families press CIA to release Sept. 11 report

http://www.metronews.ca/reuters_inte...l.asp?id=80173

Thursday, June 23, 2005 4:28:49 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Relatives of Sept. 11 victims on Thursday called on the CIA to release an internal report that scrutinizes the U.S. spy agency's counterterrorism efforts prior to the 2001 attacks.

The report by the Central Intelligence Agency's inspector general, which is said to be in its final stages, is expected to be sent in classified form to CIA Director Porter Goss and then to the intelligence oversight committees in Congress later this summer, officials said.

But victims' relatives, whose lobbying overcame President Bush's initial resistance to the creation of the Sept. 11 commission, say they intend to step up public pressure on the CIA to release the report publicly.

"There's information in there that's supposed to really name some names and finally go for some accountability," said widow Lorie Van Auken of the group known as the Sept. 11 Advocates, a driving force behind creation of the bipartisan commission that investigated the attacks.

"Accountability would be fabulous because right now nobody's being held accountable for anything anywhere in this entire government," she said in an interview.

Another widow, Kristen Breitweiser, said Goss assured relatives last August that there would be a public release of the document. Goss, who was then the Republican chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, made the promise on the day Bush nominated him to be CIA director.

Sept. 11 families received similar assurances from Republican Sen. Pat Roberts of Kansas, chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, Breitweiser added.

"While the agency is legally obligated to protect sources and methods, the director understands the desire for transparency. But the inspector general's report is not yet complete," CIA spokesman Paul Gimigliano said.
    Two weeks ago, the Justice Department released a similar report criticizing the FBI's counterterrorism role in the run-up to the Sept. 11 attacks on New York and Washington, which killed 3,000 people and prompted the war on terrorism.

Breitweiser believes the CIA report is even more important and could shed new light on evidence the spy agency blocked the FBI from receiving an important cable on one of the hijackers.

"My opinion is that it was the CIA who mainly dropped the ball," she told Reuters. "Clearly they withheld information that, had it been given to the right people, would have prevented the attacks."
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

This is fucking Reuters, and I can't even find it on THEIR site, I had to go to a Canadian site.

I CHALLENGE you to find this exact story. Posted in a news outlet. You will see 100's of 9/11 related stories today, but NOT A WORD of this. It seems to me that 9/11 related nonsense is being flooded into the internet today.

princesskittypoo Guest
    i don't do challenges... i do however read what you want me to.