“Enabling” The Patriot Act

By: Doris Colmes

http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle9173.htm

06/17/05 "ICH" - - At the end of the school year of June, 1938, my parents received a polite, but firm letter from Dr. Gregor Ziemer, headmaster of “The American School of Berlin ,” stating that Jewish children were no longer permitted to attend. It was the only school I’d ever known, from kindergarten up through fifth grade, and I loved it. My older sisters liked it, too, because – amongst other things -- there were a lot of cute American boys in attendance and everybody spoke English. It wasn’t just American School , though: Jewish kids were no longer allowed into any schools whatsoever.

This rejection was based on an edict formulated by the German “Enabling Act” of 1933, which gave the Nazi government incalculable powers over individuals, groups, and targeted population components. As a matter of fact, the German “Enabling Act” of 1933 is remarkably similar to our current Patriot Act, which – according to an Associated Press release to the Portland Oregonian of June 4, 2005 -- is currently up for revisions not only giving it expanded powers well beyond those it already has, but making it permanent, just like the German Enabling Act was made permanent.. (The more one compares the Nazi Germany “Enabling Act” with the U.S.A. “Patriot Act,” the more they appear to be Siamese twins.)

In Germany , anyone anywhere would simply disappear. Jews were the primary target, but other ethnicities such as Gypsies as well as randomly chosen persons perceived to have a “Non-Aryan” cast to their features also got hauled off.. Unfortunately, the USA , currently, seems to be targeting persons of a particular ethnic background just as happily as the Nazis did. The FBI is a more-than-willing propagator of entrapment and other “stings” targeting Muslim citizens of our country.
First, it was David Mayhew, the lawyer whose only sin was being a Caucasian Muslim-American who belonged to a mosque. He was framed for allegedly having had his fingerprints on one of the bombs that blew up the Madrid railroad and it was only because of the Spanish government’s insistence that this man was being wrongly detained, that he was freed.

Now, just recently, two more Muslim-American citizens have been entrapped. Dr. Paul Craig Roberts, author of “The Tyranny of Good Intentions” and former Assistant Secretary of the U.S. Treasury, has exposed a recent FBI attempt to do away with Dr. R.A. Sabir (an Ivy League educated physician) and Tarik Shah (a well-known jazz musician). In the past, judges routinely threw out entrapment cases, because – more often than not -- there had been no intent to commit a crime. But now, with the Patriot Act giving police “more effective measures to clear criminals off our streets,” this has changed.

Dr. Sabir is charged with agreeing to provide medical care to wounded “holy warriors” in Saudi Arabia . Tarik Shah is charged with agreeing to train jihadists in martial arts.

According to the Washington Times ( June 1, 2005 ) the FBI began this sting in 2003 apparently needing “two years of work and cajoling” to manufacture its case.

It should be noted, that these two latest victims could not possible have offered their services to jihadists, because no jihadists were ever present. Neither Sabir nor Shah had any contacts with any jihadists, and they committed no acts of service to them. And, most important of all, the FBI is not even accusing these two persons of actually performing the acts of service of which they are accused. Nevertheless, each one faces $250,000 in fines as well as fifteen years in prison. This, my friends, is a test case. If Sabir and Shah are put away, then the FBI, in conjunction with power given them by the Patriot Act can go on to bigger and better things.

End Part 1