Thread: Victims' Families Criticize "Al Qaeda Reader"

Victims' Families Criticize "Al Qaeda Reader"

Victims' families criticize 'Al Qaeda Reader'

Publisher: Book intended to educate American people

Friday, January 21, 2005 Posted: 5:45 PM EST (2245 GMT)

Ayman al-Zawahiri, left, and Osama bin Laden are shown in this image.

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- The original thoughts of Osama bin Laden and other al Qaeda leaders will be made available in English next year in a book, "The Al Qaeda Reader," whose publisher says is intended to educate the American people.

The book, which has been criticized by some who suffered in al Qaeda attacks, offers a history of the radical Muslim group, with interviews with bin Laden and his associates and a tract on Islamic struggle by his right-hand man Ayman al-Zawahri.

A spokeswoman for publisher Doubleday said it was important for Americans to understand the mind of their enemy.

"This gives a direct perspective on their philosophy," Suzanne Herz said on Thursday.

But some who lost loved ones in the September 11 hijacked plane attacks objected.

"I do not want to give the terrorists any platform to forward their agenda," said Jack Lynch, whose firefighter son Michael was killed at New York's World Trade Center.

"I fear this book could ignite the lunatic fringe in this country who are sympathetic to al Qaeda," he said.

Herz said Doubleday had "no intent to offend anybody who suffered at the hands of the terrorists" but hoped to "educate Americans and offer information useful to combat the enemy."

The company would donate any profits to charity, she said.

The book draws on two texts published in the Middle East in the 1990s -- one from International Jihad Press, which has no known address, the other printed by a small imprint in Jordan.

The first text is "The Battles of the Lion's Den of the Arab Partisans in Afghanistan" -- a compilation of interviews with bin Laden and his associates giving an oral history of al Qaeda.

The second source is "Bitter Harvest," a treatise on jihad penned by al-Zawahri.

Doubleday said it will pay royalties to the translator of the original Arabic material -- Raymond Ibrahim, a Library of Congress employee who is still working on the book.

Doubleday plans to donate any profits to a charity to be named before the book is published.

Lynch, a board member of the Coalition of 9/11 Families, said some other 9/11 families supported the publication, believing that Americans need to know everything about al Qaeda to help prevent future attacks.

Normally U.S. royalties for a foreign book would accrue not only to the translator but to the authors of the source material -- in this case bin Laden and al-Zawahiri.

Herz said that "technically they could sue us," but said Doubleday believed there was such an historic need to publish their writings in the United States that "the law affords us an exceptionally broad privilege of fair use."

"We would never pay royalties to Osama bin Laden or any other known terrorist," she added.

Doubleday is an imprint of Bertelsmann AG's BERT.UL Random House.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Good Doctor HST Guest
    I believe that the book is a really good idea. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how accurate the information will be. Will it get into al Qaeda's reasoning for hating Western beliefs, or will they be portrayed as loonies who murder innocent people for no reason except insanity? That's what I wonder.

If it's correctly done, I see no reason why the families who suffered losses on 9/11 would have a problem with the book. Of course, I can't put myself in their shoes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Good Doctor HST
    I believe that the book is a really good idea. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how accurate the information will be. Will it get into al Qaeda's reasoning for hating Western beliefs, or will they be portrayed as loonies who murder innocent people for no reason except insanity? That's what I wonder.

If it's correctly done, I see no reason why the families who suffered losses on 9/11 would have a problem with the book. Of course, I can't put myself in their shoes.....
    Accuracy is everything... the Mujadeen, The CIA alliances, the school books provided to kids that teach them to count with tanks, and missles, etc...

All of that should be there.

bump