Cheney says confident of Bolton UN confirmation

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...-BOLTON-DC.XML

Mon May 30, 2005 12:24 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate will confirm John Bolton as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations when it returns from a weeklong recess and Democratic requests for more information are "just an excuse" to further delay, Vice President Dick Cheney said on Monday.

In an interview on CNN's "Larry King Live," Cheney said he was confident Senate Republican leaders would gather the votes to end debate on the contested nomination. Republican efforts to do so last week ended four votes shy of the 60 needed. Two senators did not vote.

"We've got the votes to confirm him. I'm convinced we will get him confirmed," Cheney said. "We just need three more and I think we'll get those when they come back."

On Thursday the Senate put off the vote on Bolton after Democrats demanded the Bush administration hand over more information that may show Bolton tried to misuse U.S. intelligence to promote his hawkish views. Bolton, a favorite of conservatives, is currently the top U.S. diplomat for arms control.

"The information that they've requested basically has been made available to the chairman and ranking member of the Intelligence committees," Cheney said.

"There's nothing there. This material has been reviewed, the information they're asking for. I think it's just an excuse."

Cheney said he could wholeheartedly endorse Bolton, who Democrats accuse of being a bully who will damage U.S. relations with the United Nations.

"He's tough. But I can't think of sending somebody to the United Nations as our ambassador who's not tough. I mean the U.N. is in some difficulty."

Cheney mentioned the Iraq oil-for-food scandal and said the body had been unable to deal with Iraq for 12 years. The United States invaded in 2003.

"And I think the United Nations, and the president believes the United Nations badly needs to be reformed. We need a good, tough ambassador up there," Cheney said. "Somebody who will go up and not get captured by the international diplomatic crowd, if you will, but is there as America's representative to the U.N."

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.