Heights of Hypocrisy: The Universal Use of 9/11 in Politics

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kriste...ington+Post%29

Kristen Breitweiser
5/3/2012

A year ago, I wrote a blog about the death of Osama bin Laden, "Today is Not a Day of Celebration for Me."

I wrote the blog after witnessing so many Americans celebrating, fist-pumping, dancing, and reveling in the streets about the death of bin Laden.

Seeing so many Americans acting like that was too much of an uncomfortable reminder of those who celebrated in the streets during the attacks of 9/11 while men like my husband either burned alive, were crushed alive, or horrifically jumped to their deaths.

A year ago, what drove me to write was my sadness in bearing the sight of Americans celebrating the death of anyone -- even the man largely responsible for the murder of my husband.

Now one year later, I am once again driven to write due to witnessing President Obama resort to the same campaign tactics as George W. Bush.

Frankly, for what it's worth, it sickens me; and it saddens me.

President Obama, have you lost your way so much that you now believe that the murder of anyone should be your most defining moment? A moment for which you want to earn votes?

Respectfully, Mr. President, perhaps you should relinquish your Nobel Peace Prize.

In the end, I guess I should not be surprised.

President Obama, when it comes down to many things, you are not much different than George W. Bush. To name a few: You drew back on your promise to close GTMO. You did away with the use of Article III courts and our Constitution in favor of military tribunals. You kept the Patriot Act. You expanded Executive power. You didn't release the 28 pages of the Joint Inquiry of Congress' Report regarding possible Saudi complicity in 9/11. And, in one area, drone attacks, you've actually far exceeded the realms of both George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, combined. You really must be so proud.

And to all those Democrats and progressives out there who are now celebrating this campaign ad, those who are supporting its use, saying that its about time Democrats fight dirty like the Republicans; level the playing field so to speak. Congratulations. You, too, must be so proud.

What great heights we've all soared to in the past 10 years.

A friend once said that it's hypocrisy that ultimately does a candidate, a person, (and maybe even a country) in.

I guess we'll find out if he's right.