Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Key 9/11 Suspect To Be Tried In New York

UN asked to probe Guantanamo torture of 9/11 chief

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...7e06e23d6e.181

(AFP) – 17 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Lawyers for self-confessed September 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed revealed they have asked the UN to investigate their client's alleged torture at Guantanamo Bay military jail.

On the UN's International Day in Support of Victims of Torture, Mohammed's defense team revealed they had sent a "Letter of Allegation" to Juan Mendez, the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture.

The letter was sent on May 5 from Guantanamo, on the eve of Mohammed's arraignment on charges for which he faces the death penalty.

The first confessions of the Pakistani national, alias KSM, who has claimed responsibility for the 2001 attacks, were obtained under torture, after 183 instances of waterboarding and 7.5 straight days of sleep deprivation in a secret CIA prison, according to a US intelligence report.

The letter asks that the special UN rapporteur "initiate a full, fair and impartial inquiry" into both US conduct and that of "any other potentially complicit state party to the Convention (against Torture)."

"After subjecting Mr. Mohammed to torture and cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment following his capture on March 1, 2003 in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, the US government has silenced him," reads the letter, a copy of which was obtained by AFP.

"No one without a top secret security clearance is allowed to meet with him or speak to him. His defense attorneys are told to treat his every word as 'presumptively top secret,'" the letter adds, inviting Mendez to meet the most famous detainee at Guantanamo.

"The US government seeks to close this painful and dark chapter in our Nation's history by killing Mr. Mohammed after a show trial," it claims.

"No human being should be tortured," wrote Captain Jason Wright, a military lawyer assigned to Mohammed, wrote in today's release.

"In the period since 9/11, the US has misplaced its moral compass. Through accountability, we can hopefully find our way again, and pursue a path of rediscovery and redemption."
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Why Not Try Khalid Sheikh Mohammed by Video?

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...-video/259532/

By Andrew Cohen
    Jul 9 2012, 11:10 AM ET

As long as President Obama is listening, Daniel Klaidman is writing, and Washington seems interested, U.S. District Judge William G. Young reckons it's as good a time as any to pitch an idea he's been tinkering with for a few years. It's a bold suggestion, designed to solve one of the most difficult problems raised by the war on terror, and to work it would require leaps of faith and policy that seem far beyond the cognitive ability of the current crop of public officials. But surely it's worth the conversation. Nearly 11 years after 9/11, perhaps its time to listen carefully to a serious judge with a practical plan.

A 1985 appointee of President Ronald Reagan, Judge Young, as you will see below, already has earned himself a measure of immortality in the world of terror law. And now he's back with an earnest pitch: Why not prosecute Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and other terror suspects in federal civilian court at the American prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba? If Mohammed can't be brought to the federal courts, how about bringing more of the federal courts to Mohammed? Judge Young believes that foreign terror suspects may safely, efficiently and constitutionally be tried in an Article III civilian court without ever leaving Gitmo. Here are the broad contours of his plan:
    Why don't we try him by video conference? He will stay in Guantanamo, a criminal jury will be empaneled in the normal way, in an appropriate way, all crimes save for impeachment should be tried by jury. Trial takes place in Gitmo. Witnesses must go to Gitmo. Judge must go to Gitmo. Our video conference hookup is sophisticated. Jury could see him and every witness but KSM could not see jurors. When all the evidence is over, the lawyers would come back to New York and give closing arguments. KSM could see the final arguments.

Judge Young concedes that a federal criminal trial has never before been done by video conference. But he says he is unaware of any insurmountable "constitutional infirmities" that would preclude it. The technology already is in place (last year, for example, a group of Yemenis at Gitmo were allowed to video conference with their families). No offense to the military officials who are currently presiding over the commissions, Judge Young adds, it's just that federal trial judges in New York, Boston, Washington, and elsewhere have centuries of combined experience controlling their courtrooms in terror cases.

THE PRESIDENT
    Why does Judge Young's opinion matter more than the average federal trial judge? Klaidman tells us. His latest set piece, Kill or Capture: The War on Terror and the Soul of the Obama Presidency, starts off with a bang. It is January 2010, and President Obama and his top advisors are in the White House Situation Room trying to decide how to react to the stab in the back just administered to them by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Originally supportive of a federal civilian trial for 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed, Bloomberg by now has changed course and opposes a big terror trial in the city, a venue that has safely, for centuries, hosted hundreds of such terror trials.

As the meeting degenerates into what Klaidman calls "squabbling," the president picks up from the table in front of him a copy of a federal judge's remarkable speech made in open court in Boston in early 2003. It is the now-legendary smackdown given to Richard Reid, the so-called "shoebomber," who in December 2001 had tried to detonate a bomb aboard American Airlines Flight 63 from Paris to Miami. The courtroom orator, U.S. District Judge William Young, a Reagan appointee with a long history of outspoken, trenchant opinions, was responding to a pro-Al Qaeda outburst made by Reid following his guilty plea.

Here is the full text of the January 30, 2003 speech -- then and now one of the most eloquent statement of American values uttered by a public official since September 11, 2001. To his credit, Klaidman reproduces the entire speech as well. And why not? After reading Judge Young's speech aloud to his audience, the president reportedly asked: "Why can't I give that speech?" before quickly and wordlessly leaving the Situation Room. Why not, indeed. Thirty months after the president asked his rhetorical question, the case for federal civilian trials for terror suspects somehow has lost political ground.

THE SPEECH
    THE COURT: Mr. Richard C. Reid, hearken now to the sentence the Court imposes upon you. On Counts 1, 5 and 6 the Court sentences you to life in prison in the custody of the United States Attorney General. On Counts 2, 3, 4, and 7, the Court sentences you to 20 years in prison on each count, the sentence on each count to run consecutive one with the other. That's 80 years. On Count 8 the Court sentences you to the mandatory 30 years consecutive to the 80 years just imposed. The Court imposes upon you on each of the eight counts a fine of $250,000 for the aggregate fine of $2 million.

The Court accepts the government's recommendation with respect to restitution and orders restitution in the amount of $298.17 to Andre Bousquet and $5,784 to American Airlines. The Court imposes upon you the $800 special assessment. The Court imposes upon you five years supervised release simply because the law requires it. But the life sentences are real life sentences so I need not go any further. This is the sentence that is provided for by our statutes. It is a fair and just sentence. It is a righteous sentence. Let me explain this to you.

We are not afraid of any of your terrorist co-conspirators, Mr. Reid. We are Americans. We have been through the fire before. There is all too much war talk here. And I say that to everyone with the utmost respect. Here in this court where we deal with individuals as individuals, and care for individuals as individuals, as human beings we reach out for justice.

You are not an enemy combatant. You are a terrorist. You are not a soldier in any war. You are a terrorist. To give you that reference, to call you a soldier gives you far too much stature. Whether is it the officers of government who do it or your attorney who does it, or that happens to be your view, you are a terrorist. And we do not negotiate with terrorists. We do not treat with terrorists. We do not sign documents with terrorists. We hunt them down one by one and bring them to justice.

So war talk is way out of line in this court. You're a big fellow. But you're not that big. You're no warrior. I know warriors. You are a terrorist. A species of criminal guilty of multiple attempted murders. In a very real sense Trooper Santiago had it right when first you were taken off that plane and [placed] into custody, and you wondered where the press and ... TV crews were, and [he] said, "you're no big deal." You're no big deal.

What your counsel, what your able counsel and what the equally able United States Attorneys have grappled with, and what I have as honestly as I know how tried to grapple with, is why you did something so horrific. What was it that led you here to this courtroom today? I have listened respectfully to what you have to say. And I ask you to search your heart and ask yourself what sort of unfathomable hate led you to do what you are guilty and admit you are guilty of doing.

And I have an answer for you. It may not satisfy you. But as I search this entire record it comes as close to understanding as I know. It seems to me you hate the one thing that to us is most precious.

You hate our freedom. Our individual freedom. Our individual freedom to live as we choose, to come and go as we choose, to believe or not to believe as we individually choose. Here, in this society, the very winds carry freedom. They carry it everywhere from sea to shining sea. It is because we prize individual freedom so much that you are here in this beautiful courtroom. So that everyone can see, truly see that justice is administered fairly, individually, and discretely.

It is for freedom's sake that your lawyers are striving so vigorously on your behalf and have filed appeals, [and] will go on in their ... representation of you before other judges. We care about it. Because we all know that the way we treat you, Mr. Reid, is the measure of our own liberties. Make no mistake, though. It is yet true that we will bear any burden, pay any price, to preserve our freedoms.

Look around this courtroom. Mark it well. The world is not going to long remember what you or I say here. Day after tomorrow it will be forgotten. But this, however, will long endure. Here, in this courtroom, and courtrooms all across America, the American people will gather to see that justice, individual justice, justice, not war, individual justice is in fact being done.

The very president of the United States through his officers will have to come into courtrooms and lay out evidence on which specific matters can be judged, and juries of citizens will gather to sit and judge that evidence democratically, to mold and shape and refine our sense of justice. See that flag, Mr. Reid? That's the flag of the United States of America. That flag will fly there long after this is all forgotten. That flag still stands for freedom. You know it always will. Custody, Mr. Officer. Stand him down.

THE JUDGE
    Custody, Mr. Officer. Stand him down. To this day, Judge Young insists that he did not write out that speech in advance, that he was speaking "off the cuff" following Reid's allocution. The judge told me last week that he always tries to specifically explain a sentence he's just given a defendant. And Reid, who had told the judge in open court that he was "at war with your country," provided Judge Young with a unique opportunity to make a statement not just about one case but about an entire philosophy: The quicker we label Al Qaeda detainees as superhuman monsters, Judge Young cautioned, the harder we make it for ourselves to treat them like the mortal suspects they are.

Judge Young says today that he had no idea that his statement would go viral and eventually reach the president's eyes. "I would have made the sentence had he not made the comments that he did," Judge Young says of Reid. "I knew that it would get some play in the press. And I wanted to have the last word. I didn't expect it to have the impact it did. I thought it was a one-day story." He says he still gets emails congratulating him for his choice of words. In the lingering political dispute over venues for terror trials, amid all the recrimination and fear, Judge Young (and Richard Reid) are Exhibits A and B supporting the case for federal civilian trials.

Exhibits -- and also witnesses. In a 2009 law review article, Judge Young reminded Washington of how stoically ordinary citizens had faced their obligations to the criminal justice system even as their elected officials were peddling fear, prejudice and ignorance about the ability of the federal courts to handle terrorism cases. Of the months following 9/11, Judge Young wrote:
    Americans stood united in a way not seen since Pearl Harbor, but our unity was not only expressed in our military response or our humanitarian outreach to the victims. With the judicial branch, citizen response to jury subpoenas spied to record levels. Amidst all the frenetic activity in the months following September 11, not only potential juror-- not one-- sought to be excused on the ground that the courthouse itself was a probable terrorist target. Americans came to serve in record numbers simply because their country called them (emphasis added).

Still more impressive, and ultimately far more profound, in the year following September 11 the government's conviction rate remained relatively unchanged. In other words, juries continued to perform their constitutional role of providing impartial, even-handed justice even in the face of a looming, inchoate terrorist threat, and never subordinated their independent judgment to that of the government.

Judge Young's point, then and now, is that American jurors aren't afraid to judge terror suspects. Unafraid -- and still representative of core American due process and fair trial values. As the conscience of their communities, as the voice of the people, jurors have performed this public service for hundreds of years. Hundreds of terrorists -- domestic, foreign, and something in between -- are today serving out their civilian sentences thanks to jury verdicts. It isn't just constitutionally dubious for Congress to restrict the ability of jurors to hear terrorism cases, the argument goes, it's also just a bad idea.

THE PROBLEM
    In the nine years since he sent Reid packing, Judge Young and the rest of us have witnessed a startling reversal in the political dynamic over terror law. In January 2003, Congress was a supine "partner" to the executive branch. The Bush White House ran the show. Today, even though no American jury has ever allowed an Al Qaeda defendant to walk free, Congress has significantly restricted the administration's ability to try terror suspects in federal court. The folks who found and killed Osama bin Laden can't be trusted to prosecute his deputies. And jurors can't be trusted to hear those cases.

No one personifies this double standard more than Khalid Sheikh Mohammed himself. He was captured in Pakistan in May 2003 -- just a few months after Judge Young made his Reid speech. (For an excellent account of the pre-arrest portion of the Mohammed story, read The Hunt For KSM by Josh Meyer and Terry McDermott). Next, over the objections of the FBI, Mohammed was waterboarded, thus complicating forever any future prosecution in civilian court. Then he was to be tried by military commission. Then he was to be tried in New York. Now he is in Gitmo, barred by federal law from being transferred to the States for trial.

In May 2009, when Mohammed first was arraigned by military commission, the typically perfunctory hearing quickly devolved into chaos. Three years later, with new tribunal rules in force, Mohammed was arraigned again -- and the same thing happened. There is no way such defendant behavior would have been tolerated in our nation's federal courts. You want to act up in court, Mr. Mohammed? Go right ahead. You, too, Mr. Binalshibh. But then you'll have to watch the rest of the proceedings from your cell, just like any other criminal defendant who acts up. That's what a federal judge would say. Military judges? So far they have seemed spooked by the in-court antics of Mohammed and company.

THE REACTION
    I ran Judge Young's terror trial-by-video conferencing idea by some of the bright men and women who focus upon this area of terror law. Kenneth Roth, the executive director of Human Rights Watch, and often a key figure in Klaidman's book, answered my question this past weekend about the legality of such a trial. Via email, he told me that the proposal "would pose risks to the suspect's due-process and confrontational rights in several respects." For example, Roth notes:
    The suspect wouldn't be able to see the whole courtroom of the trial where his very life is in jeopardy. Having sat in the courtroom (separated only by glass) for the arraignment of the 9/11 suspects, and at the same time watched the video, I saw the enormous amount of important visual information that the video camera missed. I don't think that was intentional, but rather inherent in the difficulty of connecting to a courtroom (as opposed to, say, an ordinary deposition) by videoconference.

The unusual nature of having a suspect tried by videoconference would signal to the jury that the suspect is so dangerous he must be guilty -- hardly an auspicious basis for a fair trial.

Presumably the suspect could communicate with his attorneys in real time only by separate phone, raising major questions about confidentiality (or the likely lack thereof, given the government's current approach to security) and how that would affect their ability to mount an effective defense.

The first and third problems could be avoided by having Congress authorize the SDNY to sit in Gitmo, but the second one -- involving the selection of jurors who could spend months there -- would not

On the other hand, there is this from military law expert Gary Solis, the former head of West Point's Law of War program, a retired Marine judge advocate, who is now an adjunct professor of law at Georgetown University Law Center. He told me:
    Trying Guantanamo cases by federal video-conference, rather than by military commission, is a fine idea. Federal trials would proceed with greater alacrity; any resulting conviction would be a federal conviction rather than a military commission conviction, lending greater credibility to the outcome; yet no detainee would be brought to the continental U.S., satisfying present U.S. law. I believe federal trial by video-conference would be a bridge too far for cases other than Guantanamo detainee terrorism charges which, because of the detainees' location, are unique. Any necessary modifications of the Federal Rules of Procedure should apply only to detainee cases.

The Department of Defense would strongly object to such trials, however. An assertion of inadequate civilian prosecutions would be raised, despite hundreds of terrorism convictions. Additionally, in terms of hoped for international acceptance, as well as Guantanamo's physical infrastructure and dedicated manpower, the military has a lot riding on military commissions. DOD would find political allies willing take up their cudgel, and who might block the necessary amendments to the Federal Rules of Procedure.

While Guantanamo trials by video-conference is a promising idea, we probably are too far down the torturous road to more trials by military commission to deviate.

So the civil libertarians wouldn't be too happy with it. And neither would the Defense Department. Sounds like a good starting point to me! Here's hoping that President Obama and his council still are paying attention to Judge Young. And here's hoping we one day soon get to hear from this president the speech he says he wants to deliver on this topic. If and when that day comes, Judge Young deserves a special seat front and center at the White House -- and on Capitol Hill as well.

UPDATE:

Another federal trial judge, also with extensive experience handling terror cases, responded to this piece this morning. He wrote:
    Once again, I note that the East Coast considers itself the font of all knowledge and wisdom. Out here in the sagebrush and forest fire country, we have been taking testimony from prisoners via video in a number of trials and in pretrial proceedings for a number of years. Just last week, I held a supervised release violation hearing and sentencing via video with our court in Grand Junction.

9/11 accused don’t want hearings during Ramadan

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/1...-hearings.html

By CAROL ROSENBERG
    crosenberg@miamiherald.com

Lawyers for accused Sept. 11 attacks mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed and his four co-defendants are seeking to postpone their Aug. 8-12 hearing at Guantánamo, noting it falls toward the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

The trial judge, Army Col. James Pohl, set the date for the hearing in May and specifically ruled out an extension on grounds that it coincided with Islam’s fasting month. He noted in his order then that no defense lawyer at that point had raised objection to a hearing that coincided with Ramadan.

But the attorneys do just that in a June 21 filing currently under seal on the Pentagon’s war court website entitled “Joint Defense Motion for the Military Commission to Respect the Religious Observances of Enemy Prisoners under Common Article 3.”

Pohl is hearing motions in another Guantánamo case next week. But that hearing ends by July 19, before Ramadan starts. The 9/11 case pre-trial motions would be heard toward the end of Ramadan.

“The last 10 days of Ramadan commemorate the night God —Allah— revealed the Holy Quran to the Prophet Mohammed,” said James Connell III, the Pentagon-paid defense counsel for Mohammed’s nephew, Ammar al Baluchi. “These 10 days are the most holy period of the Muslim calendar and are typically observed by fasting, prayer, and seclusion.”

The Sept. 11 prosecutor opposes delay in a separate motion, also under seal at the war court website.

Next month’s would not be the first Ramadan war court appearance by Mohammed and the four men accused of orchestrating, funding and training the 19 terrorists who hijacked the four aircraft on Sept. 11, 2001, killingly nearly 3,000 people in New York, the Pentagon and a Pennsylvania field.

The five men were brought to war court for hearings in September 2008, as Ramadan was reaching its conclusion that year on the Muslim calendar during a since-aborted Bush effort to try the men before a different judge, a U.S. Marine Corps colonel. Mohammed objected to the timing of that 2008 session during his appearance on behalf of the five man who face the death penalty if convicted at their capital murder trial.

Two Developments in the 9/11 Case

http://www.lawfareblog.com/2012/07/t...-the-911-case/

By Wells Bennett
    Friday, July 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Development the first: the defense’s objection to the upcoming August 8, 2012 hearing has cleared security review. You can read the defense’s arguments as to why that hearing must be postponed – it falls in the middle of Ramadan – and why no court proceedings should be held on Fridays generally, here.

Up second is yesterday’s statement from James Connell III, a lawyer for 9/11 defendant Ammar al-Baluchi (aka Ali Abdul Aziz Ali). Connell describes the defense’s effort (among other things) to ensure that classified court papers are released to the public in redacted form. The complete statement is below the fold:
    Today, attorneys for the 9/11 defendants asked the military commission to publicly release redacted versions of classified motions and exhibits filed in the case. “The government has no legitimate interest in keeping unclassified information secret,” said James Connell, attorney for accused logistical co-conspirator Ammar al Baluchi. “The public has a right to know what is happening in the military commissions.”

Military commissions regulations provide a procedure for a Pentagon task force to redact classified filings for public release, but so far no redacted classified filings have been released in the 9/11 case. For example, in May, the government, the defense, the ACLU, and a coalition of 14 news organizations all clashed over the secrecy requirements at Guantanamo Bay. The classified defense brief (AE013G) has never been released in redacted form.

The motion is just one of several challenging military commissions secrecy that may be heard at the scheduled August 8 hearing. Other motions include the argument over “presumptive classification”—the process by which every statement of Guantanamo prisoners is considered classified—and the defense objections to off-the-record hearings known as 802 conferences.

Guantanamo hearing delayed for 9/11 suspects due to Ramadan

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...86F19T20120716

By Jane Sutton
    GUANTANAMO BAY U.S. NAVAL BASE, Cuba | Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:28pm EDT

(Reuters) - The next hearing for five Guantanamo prisoners charged with plotting the September 11 attacks has been postponed for two weeks to allow the defendants to observe the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

The chief judge in the Guantanamo war crimes tribunals, Army Colonel James Pohl, granted the delay on Monday for the alleged architect of the attacks, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, and four co-defendants who could face the death penalty if convicted on charges of conspiring with al Qaeda and murdering 2,976 people in the hijacked plane attacks of 2001.

"Today, the military commission rescheduled its next hearing from August 8-12 to August 22-26 to accommodate a defense request to avoid hearings during the last 10 days of Ramadan," said defense attorney James Connell, who represents Mohammed's nephew, defendant Ali Abdul Aziz Ali, also known as Ammar al Baluchi.

The five were arraigned at the Guantanamo Bay U.S. Naval Base in May and their next hearing had already been postponed from June because of scheduling conflicts among the defense lawyers.

Pretrial hearings are scheduled to resume on Tuesday in another death penalty case at Guantanamo - that of Abd al Rahim al Nashiri, an alleged al Qaeda chieftain accused of helping orchestrate a deadly attack on a U.S. warship off Yemen in 2000.

Nashiri's hearing had been scheduled to run through Friday but has been cut short by a day, also because of Ramadan, the month when devout Muslims fast during daylight hours. Many Muslims will observe the start of Ramadan on Friday, although some begin and end the fast before or after others because they follow different rules or disagree on whether they have spotted the new crescent moon that marks the start of the month in Islam's lunar calendar.

Nashiri, a Saudi of Yemeni descent, is accused of recruiting and aiding suicide bombers who rammed a boat full of explosives into the USS Cole as it refueled in the Yemeni port of Aden. The blast killed 17 U.S. sailors and wounded three dozen others. He is charged with murder, attempted murder, conspiracy and terrorism.

At this week's hearings, Judge Pohl will consider a defense request for evidence that is classified as secret, and will weigh whether the courtroom should be closed to the press and public while the issue is debated. He will also consider a defense request that he recuse himself from the case.

Nashiri's lawyers argue that Pohl lacks the experience to handle a complicated death penalty case. They also claim he has a financial interest in the case since he was recalled from retirement for the Guantanamo assignment and his income would drop when that duty ends.

Guantánamo judge delayed next 9/11 hearings until after Ramadan
    The judge granted the request of attorneys representing the men accused of planning the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, to reschedule the next hearings until after the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/1...t_type=gallery

By CAROL ROSENBERG
    crosenberg@miamiherald.com

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba -- The chief war court judge on Monday postponed until after Ramadan the next hearings in the death-penalty case of the alleged Sept. 11 plotters, yielding to a request by attorneys for accused 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed and his co-defendants to respect their religion.

Rather than hold the hearings Aug. 8-12, as the holy Muslim month is winding down, Army Col. James Pohl reset the hearings for Aug. 22-26, said Pentagon defense attorney James G. Connell III.

Pohl’s order had yet to be released on the military commissions website. But military sources confirmed the delay, which prosecutors had opposed.

Also Monday, lawyers for Canadian convict Omar Khadr came to the base to brief the “child soldier” on their latest bid to win his repatriation — a fresh suit filed Friday night with a Canadian federal court seeking an order from a judge to compel Canada’s minister for public safety, Vic Toews, to move forward with a plan for Khadr’s return.

U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta cleared Khadr for release in April, but Toews has yet to present Khadr’s lawyers with his plan to bring the Toronto-born 25-year-old home to his native soil to finish an eight-year sentence.

Under a diplomatic deal, Khadr pleaded guilty to war crimes in October 2010 and could serve another year at the Guantánamo cellblock for war criminals before being moved to Canada for at-most seven more years incarceration. But Canada has yet to formally seek his return.

In the plea, Khadr admitted to throwing a grenade in July 2002 that killed a U.S. soldier during a firefight at a suspect al-Qaida compound in Afghanistan. Khadr was 15 at the time. In Canada that means he would be eligible for parole after serving a third of his sentence under that nation’s application of juvenile justice.

Toronto attorney John Norris said he and Khadr’s other Canadian lawyer, Brydie Bethell, last visited Guantánamo in April. They cannot brief him by telephone unless they use a special facility in Washington, D.C. Instead they came for face-to-face meetings.

Last week, the Pentagon repatriated Sudanese captive Ibrahim al Qosi, 52, who like Khadr pleaded guilty to terror charges in exchange for the possibility of release. “It would be entirely understandable if this were upsetting to Omar,” said Norris, noting that under his original guilty-plea timetable Khadr should have gone home first.

Sudan had been consistently asking for release of its nationals. And Norris said Qosi’s return illustrated “Canada’s abject failure to do the same” in the case of Khadr, Guantánamo’s youngest prisoner, who was captured by U.S. forces 10 years ago this month.

The prospect of return has stirred unhappiness in some Canadian circles. Khadr’s father, a confidant of Osama bin Laden, raised his family with radical, anti-Western Islamic teachings until the elder was killed in a Pakistani raid on a suspected terrorist compound after the Sept. 11 attacks. Others have said Canada has done too little on behalf of the young man, who should have been given rehabilitation after he was seriously wounded in the firefight that led to his capture — not sent to Guantánamo for interrogation and eventual trial.

A Canadian legislator, Sen. Roméo Dallaire, a member of the Liberal Party, is spearheading an internet campaign to pressure the government to repatriate Khadr. Dallaire, a retired Canadian lieutenant general, has adopted the Khadr case as a cause as part of his global campaign against the recruitment of child soldiers.

Classified in Gitmo Trials: Detainees’ Every Word

http://www.propublica.org/article/cl...ees-every-word

by Cora Currier
    ProPublica, July 17, 2012, 2:52 p.m.

Can the government declare anything a Guantanamo detainee does or says automatically classified?

That’s the question posed by two challenges to a government order declaring “any and all statements” by the five detainees allegedly behind the 9/11 attacks “presumptively classified.” That includes their own accounts of their treatment, and even torture, at the hands of the U.S. government.

The government made that argument this spring at the start of the military commission trials of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four others. The government says the defendants’ accounts, if made public without review by a government authority, could reveal details of the CIA’s detention and interrogation efforts.

Of course, much information about the programs—including torture of detainees—has long been public. The CIA’s so-called black-site prisons were acknowledged nearly six years ago by then-President Bush. More details about the program were released by President Obama in 2009.

The “presumptive classification” order extends to both detainees’ testimony and their discussions with their lawyers. In other words, anything said by a detainee, whether in court or to their counsel, will first need censors’ stamp of approval before it can become public.

The American Civil Liberties Union, news outlets, and one of the 9/11 defendants’ lawyers have all challenged aspects of the order. A Gitmo commission judge may consider their arguments at hearings next month.

Here’s exactly what the government says is still classified, from the order it proposed to the military commission in April:

What's still classified (p. 7)

By extension, the government argues, anything said by the accused must be presumed classified, because they were “exposed” to classified information during their detention:

"any and all statements by the accused are presumptively classified" (p. 6)

The government’s order mandates that the court proceedings, which are transmitted via closed circuit TV to media and other observers in viewing rooms in the U.S., get a forty-second delay to allow for the blotting out of any sensitive information revealed by the defendants. If something censored in the broadcast is later deemed unclassified, it is restored on the court transcript. This is how the arraignment in this case proceeded back in May. At one point, censors blocked a defense lawyer’s comment that one of the defendants was tortured, only to have it later reinstated for the record.

The ACLU filed a brief in May saying that the government’s order of presumptive classification and the forty-second delay violate the public’s right of access to the trial. The ACLU’s motion takes issue with the idea that the government has declared detainees’ “personal knowledge of their detention and treatment in U.S. custody” classified. Their exposure to classified information was forced upon them, the ACLU states, in CIA detention and interrogation programs that are now outlawed.

The ACLU argues that an executive order on classification signed by Obama in 2009 says in part that, in order to be properly classified, information must be “under the control of the United States Government.” The ACLU’s brief challenges whether that authority could be extended “categorically to human beings under the government’s control.” [emphasis in original]. The ACLU also argues that the detainees were not in any kind of contractual relationship which would make them liable for the classified information they were exposed to.

In a response to the ACLU’s brief, the government reiterated that certain elements of the CIA program are still properly classified and that this is the most practical way to handle that sensitive information. The government claims that the forty-second delay is a narrow measure that satisfies the public’s right of access, pointing to coverage of the arraignment in May. Eliminating it, as the ACLU requests, would force the government to “predict the accused’s possible future behavior.” (The ACLU counters that any information a detainee might reveal wouldn’t require government confirmation, and would be the same as previous accounts of their detention in the press and Red Cross reports.)

A Pentagon spokesman declined to comment on the ACLU’s or other challenges to the order.

Fourteen media organizations, including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and Fox, also filed an objection to the government’s protective order. Last week the same group filed a brief opposing the closing of certain proceedings in the case against Abd al Rahim al Nashiri, the alleged mastermind of the 2000 attack on the U.S.S. Cole. That case was governed by a similar protective order, signed by the same judge presiding over the 9/11 case, James Pohl.

That’s part of what makes it unlikely Pohl will be open to rescinding the government’s order, says Wells Bennett, a visiting fellow in national security at the Brookings Institution and a contributor to the widely read Lawfare blog. “Presumptive classification has already been in use in the Guantanamo trials. For Pohl to turn around, at this point, would be bucking the trend,” says Bennett.

Hina Shamsi, the ACLU’s lead lawyer on the case, views the public access issue as critical to the public perception of the military commission system, which, she says, “will not be seen as legitimate if they are organized around judicially-approved censorship of detainees’ own accounts of their torture in U.S. custody.”

Military commissions were temporarily suspended when Obama took office, and revamped later in 2009 when Congress passed a new Military Commissions Act strengthening defendants’ rights. The 9/11 case is seen as a high-profile test of the system, which has obtained four convictions under Obama so far. The Obama administration originally planned to try the five in civilian courts but transferred the trial to the military commission last year after Congress made it all but impossible to bring Guantanamo detainees into the U.S.

A separate challenge to the government’s stance was filed in April by James Connell, the civilian Defense Department lawyer representing one of the 9/11 defendants, Ammar Al-Baluchi (also known as Abd al Aziz Ali). The motion challenges the very notion of presumptive classification.

Anyone involved in the case has to sign a “memorandum of understanding” indicating their responsibility for access to classified information, as defined in the protective order. The defense needs to give warning when they plan to use classified information, and to submit any information they want unclassified to a government-appointed security officer for review.

In practice, according to Connell, this means lawyers have to get approval to use even their client’s birthdate, if the source for it is the detainee’s—presumptively classified—statement. The resulting difficulties for the defense, the motion maintains, violate attorney-client privilege and Sixth Amendment protections.

Connell also claims that presumptive classification violates procedures laid out in Obama’s executive order and elsewhere. According to those standards, information can only be classified after an evaluation that its relevance to national security outweighs the public’s right to information. Declaring detainees’ potential statements preemptively secret, Connell maintains, is therefore too broad to be considered an “original classification.” (Only nuclear information is “born classified,” under a World War II-era law).

Connell’s motion also chronicles how presumptive classification of detainees’ statements was gradually established as the norm in cases involving Guantanamo detainees, in both military commissions and federal court, but doesn’t have much precedent outside Gitmo.

The government’s response to Connell’s motion, filed in May, echoes its justification for the 40-second broadcast delay. The response says that the Guantanamo procedures don’t make anything classified that shouldn’t be. Presumptive classification isn’t a “new category” of classified material, it argues, but rather, “simply is the control mechanism,” and the least intrusive process possible by which to separate properly classified information from unclassified.

Agenda for Upcoming Hearing in the 9/11 Case

http://www.lawfareblog.com/2012/07/a...-the-911-case/

By Wells Bennett
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Judge Pohl’s docketing order, in which he adjusts the calendar in United States v. Mohammed et al. and announces the agenda for August’s motions hearing, is now available.

One More Small Adjustment to the Schedule in the 9/11 Case

http://www.lawfareblog.com/2012/07/o...-the-911-case/

By Wells Bennett
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Judge James Pohl has tweaked the calendar in United States v. Mohammed a bit.

Earlier, the court had pushed back an upcoming August session, in light of Ramadan; that postponement left in place a separate hearing, which had been set for September 8.

The commission changed this back-to-back schedule in an order entered yesterday, according to a statement just released by defense lawyer James Connell III. (The court’s order is not yet available to the public.) Now the August hearing will occupy six days over two discrete periods: August 22-24, and August 26-28. The added hearing days presumably will account for the September session, which the court has cancelled.

During the August hearing, the commission will take up, among other things, two motions bearing on ”presumptive classification” – the requirement that defense counsel treat all statements by the accused as presumptively classified, pending the completion of a classification review. The government’s proposed protective order seeks to impose this regime in the 9/11 case, in keeping with protective orders entered in earlier commission cases; the defense has filed its own motion to “end presumptive classification.”

Guantánamo Military Judge Grants ACLU’s Request to Argue Against Censorship of 9/11 Defendants’ Testimony

http://www.aclu.org/blog/national-se...-argue-against

By Hina Shamsi, Director, ACLU National Security Project at 6:18pm

In an order made public today, a military commissions judge at Guantánamo Bay announced that he will hear oral argument on the ACLU’s challenge to censorship of torture at the trial of the 9/11 defendants.

In May, we filed a motion asking the military commission to deny the government’s request to suppress statements by the defendants about their treatment while in U.S. custody, including torture and other abuse. As we said in our motion,
    "Both the Constitution and the Military Commissions Act of 2009 recognize the public’s presumptive right of access to all proceedings and records of this historic military commission. That right of access may only be overcome if there is a countervailing interest of “transcendent” importance, a standard that the government’s extraordinary and draconian proposed restrictions cannot meet. The government asks this Commission to suppress as presumptively classified the defendants’ every utterance concerning their personal knowledge of their detention and abuse in CIA custody. . . . The eyes of the world are on this Military Commission, and the public has a substantial interest in and concern about the fairness and transparency of these proceedings. This Commission should reject - and not become complicit with - the government’s improper proposals to suppress the defendants’ personal accounts of government misconduct."
    The military judge said yesterday that at the next hearing in the case, on August 22, he will hear our motion as well as a motion filed by 14 news organizations that also challenged the government’s over-broad request to bar public access to court records and proceedings.

There has been an intense and long-running debate about the legitimacy and fairness of the Guantánamo military commissions both in the United States and abroad. That debate won’t be ended by the commission’s decision on this issue alone. But the commissions certainly won’t be seen as legitimate if they have at their heart the government’s judicially-approved censorship of the defendants’ accounts of their torture in government custody.