Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: God Is Dead

jetsetlemming Guest
    A diety's power is directly related to the people's belief in him. If God is forgotten, he might as well be dead. He isn't (except by Gold, apparently).

ThotPolice Guest
    I don't think god was ever alive, but I do believe in human spirit and i think humanity has reached a point where we are all too educated to believe in higher powers, this can be a bad thing if it means a rejection of morals, that is not progress, as a humanist I think along the same lines as Christianity, witch is really, in its roots, a good way to live your life there are human truths the bible speaks of that cant be dismissed, just for me its not "don't do that because god says its wrong" it's, "don't do that it is ignorant."

I think we have devolved morally because of a rejection of church and religion, or rather the corrupt entity the church has become, I feel we need to instill morals in humanity in a secular way this is why I am humanist.

I think a more important question is; are morals dead?

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotPolice
    I don't think god was ever alive, but I do believe in human spirit and i think humanity has reached a point where we are all too educated to believe in higher powers, this can be a bad thing if it means a rejection of morals, that is not progress, as a humanist I think along the same lines as Christianity, witch is really, in its roots, a good way to live your life there are human truths the bible speaks of that cant be dismissed, just for me its not "don't do that because god says its wrong" it's, "don't do that it is ignorant."

I think we have devolved morally because of a rejection of church and religion, or rather the corrupt entity the church has become, I feel we need to instill morals in humanity in a secular way this is why I am humanist.

I someone agree with what you said about humanity is too educated. For instance animals can see ghosts and all that where humans can't (most of of the time). And because humans have a higher degree of consiousness than animals, if we were to see ghosts and spirits all the time we'd all freak the fuck out. Which is why our "sixth sense" is blocked.

Holla!

Partridge Guest
    A better question: Have morals really ever existed?

And what is even meant by 'morals' and so-called 'moral decline'?

jetsetlemming Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Partridge

Spoken like someone without a consience. Creepy, man. Morals are the rules you live by according to your personal beliefs of right and wrong. Most people have an inate sense of this, others adopt their rules from a religon or society. The moral decline is a term refering to the lowering of the societal standards of morality, making more and more "okay" by community standards.

princesskittypoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilosophyGenius
    I someone agree with what you said about humanity is too educated. For instance animals can see ghosts and all that where humans can't (most of of the time). And because humans have a higher degree of consiousness than animals, if we were to see ghosts and spirits all the time we'd all freak the fuck out. Which is why our "sixth sense" is blocked.

Holla!
    lol i see dead people dude! holla!!!

jetsetlemming Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by princesskittypoo
    lol i see dead people dude! holla!!!
    seeing pkp say "holla" made my day.

Jesus Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EminemsRevenge
    i've been busy recently...letting the Second Coming...GW of course...run da show:D

But now that i've re-learned how to hold my guitar pick....i'm back!!!...and you can be Beethoven
    False idol tsk tsk tsk

ThotPolice Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Partridge

Well take the bush administrations spin of the war ...I believe if the majority of people had more morals they would question more, demand more answers, but no, our selfish culture allows us to put it on the way side, and allow corruption to continue, a moral decline is a statistical reality. The murder rate rises, the abortion rate rises (I am pro choice) the number of prisoners rises, suicide rises, divorce rises, war is still sold despite the educated masses. “We” don’t care. All of our institutions church, government, education, and culture have become corrupted, we have evolved scientifically technologically but morally (spiritually) we have become stagnant. Our culture celebrates selfishness and depravity, average Joe, the swan, cross fire, the apprentice, desperate housewives est. est. you believe this is a natural progression? I think we were meant for more I think the church has turned us off from that, regardless of god. Why celebrate a decline in morals it only feeds the war machine and gives corruption a base to live off of. Humanity is on a moral decline can you give me reason to believe otherwise?

rachel Guest
    Here's my take on it. I'm a Christian but it took me a long time to get to that point and I still doubt all the time. But these are some questions and ideas that helped me think through the argument intelligently (rather than being told all the time "you'll never understand god, you just have to believe, etc."):

1. the atheist's favorite: prove God exists. My favorite counter: prove He doesn't. ... I can't prove either of these arguments - doesn't that tell us something about God's existence?
    2. Religion is corrupt. Um, yeah, duh. That's a given. Religion was created by man, so it's not perfect and never will be. Get over it. Religion is meant to help you find the truth and to provide a community of believers. If it's not for you, then don't participate.
    3. People do bad things in the name of God. Yeah, they also do bad things in the name of Muhammed, Satan, because a dog told them to. You see the point.
    4. The world is distracted and/or too educated to believe in God. I totally agree. And I don't think it's just spiritual ideas. Look at astronomy - without satellites and fancy telescopes people figured out the earth is round and that we revolve around the sun. That's amazing to me that someone could figure that out through mostly just observation. Also, philosophers spent a lot of time in silence to ponder life's big questions. How often do we even have 5 minutes of silence? There's too much going on!
    5. I believe in intelligent design but... This is a tough one for me too. There are things you can't deny - something created this world. The question is, should you worship that something? Does that something even want you to worship it?
    6. Religion refutes science. Another tough one - especially for kids in school. I think science is more reliable because it can be proven. A lot of religion is based on ancient writings that may or may not be interpreted correctly. But I don't think that's a reason to refute God or religion.
    7. Unless you're a Christian/Muslim/etc., you're going to Hell. I don't know what the answer to that one is. I don't understand the absolution (absolute-ness?) of religions. I'm not sure if it's a valid argument or not. It seems to me if you're right with God in your heart, then your fate is between you and Him.
    Sorry to ramble on and on, but these things helped me when I was asking all those questions (and still help me when I continue to ask those questions ). I don't think anyone should try to convince another person of a religion (or rejection of religion). We should be there instead to help others see why we believe what we believe. I hate religious arguments. Heheh.