Thread: SLC Firm Sues CIA For 9/11 Records

SLC Firm Sues CIA For 9/11 Records

SLC firm sues CIA for 9/11 records

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_12471426

(Gold9472: Interesting.)

By Matthew D. LaPlante
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Updated: 05/28/2009 04:53:50 PM MDT

Hoping to compel the release of records detailing the movement of violent extremists before the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, a Salt Lake City law firm has filed suit against the CIA.

Winder and Haslam attorneys Donald Winder and Jerald Hale are helping to represent the families of a number of Sept. 11 victims in a lawsuit against terror leader Osama bin Laden and other conspirators in the attacks.

The plaintiffs in the quixotic case acknowledge they are unlikely to ever see a penny of bin Laden's money, but say they are hoping to help tie up assets spread around the world that might otherwise be used nefariously.

Hale said the effort can't progress until the CIA responds to a request, first made in 2007, for 40 different records, many mentioned in the "9/11 Commission Report" and most regarding the travel of suspected terrorists.

In a letter acknowledging receipt of the firm's request, the CIA said it was unlikely that the agency would be able to respond within 20 days, as required under the federal Freedom of Information Act.

Hale said it's now been more than a year since the CIA has updated the firm on the status of the case.

While the suit to compel the release of the records is filed in U.S. District Court for Utah, none of the families involved is from Utah.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Kevin Fenton Guest
    This is normal for the CIA. I've got stuff I filed a year or two ago and I haven't heard for ages. They just sit on it. I heard of one case where it took 19 years to respond to a guy, and then they said they didn't have any responsive records. Still, that is a lot better than Never Say Anything, they just send you a letter saying they may or may not have the records, but, if they do exist, then they will be classified.

True... but they're suing for it... isn't that interesting?
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG