Thread: No one saw this one coming..

AuGmENTor Guest

No one saw this one coming..

Greenpeace founder now backs nuclear power

Patrick Moore tells the Boise chamber that the world must wean itself from fossil fuels to reduce greenhouse gases.

BY ROCKY BARKER - rbarker@idahostatesman.com

Edition Date: 04/24/08

Greenpeace founder Patrick Moore says there is no proof global warming is caused by humans, but it is likely enough that the world should turn to nuclear power - a concept tied closely to the underground nuclear testing his former environmental group formed to oppose.The chemistry of the atmosphere is changing, and there is a high-enough risk that "true believers" like Al Gore are right that world economies need to wean themselves off fossil fuels to reduce greenhouse gases, he said.

"It's like buying fire insurance," Moore said. "We all own fire insurance even though there is a low risk we are going to get into an accident."

The only viable solution is to build hundreds of nuclear power plants over the next century, Moore told the Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday. There isn't enough potential for wind, solar, hydroelectric, and geothermal or other renewable energy sources, he said.

With development of coal-fired electric generation stopped cold over greenhouse gases, the only alternative to nuclear power for producing continuous energy at the levels needed is natural gas. But climate change isn't the only reason to move away from fossil fuels.

Fossil fuels also are a major health threat. "Coal causes the worst health impacts of anything we are doing today," Moore said.

Plus, uranium can be found within the United States and also comes in large quantities from Canada and Australia. Nuclear Power reduces the reliance on supplies in dangerous places including the Middle East, he said.

Moore spoke at the chamber breakfast after an appearance in Idaho Falls Tuesday night that attracted 300 people. He also spoke to the Idaho Environmental Forum in Boise, all sponsored by the Partnership for Science and Technology.

He represents the Clean Air and Safe Energy Coalition, a nuclear energy-backed group promoting reactors for electric energy generation. He began his career as a leader of Greenpeace fighting nuclear testing and working to save whales.

In recent years, he has taken on causes unpopular with his former group, like old-growth logging, keeping polyvinyl chlorides and now nuclear energy.

He says his change of heart comes from his background in science and a different approach to sustainability.

He sees a need for maintaining technologies that are not harmful while fixing or replacing those that are harmful.

"We don't believe we have been making too much electricity," he said. "We believe we've been making energy with the wrong technologies."

His critics, like Andrea Shipley, executive director of the Snake River Alliance, say he has simply sold out.

"The only reason Patrick Moore is backing something as unsafe and risky as nuclear power is he is being paid by the nuclear industry to do so," Shipley said.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsup...ry/360625.html

dMole Guest
    The only viable solution is to build hundreds of nuclear power plants over the next century, Moore told the Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday. There isn't enough potential for wind, solar, hydroelectric, and geothermal or other renewable energy sources, he said.

With development of coal-fired electric generation stopped cold over greenhouse gases, the only alternative to nuclear power for producing continuous energy at the levels needed is natural gas.
    The "only" solution? The "only" alternative? Hardly...

Methinks the "experts" need to do a little more research. I'm looking at the oceans and largish lakes for wave and "passive solar" thermal energy myself, since they will generate it anyway, regardless of whether the foolish humans choose to tap into those reserves, but I digress.

Then there's that solar hydrogen and biological hydrogen production thing that somehow seems to never get a mention.

Back to nuclear "fission" reactors- why don't we ever hear about Philo Farnsworth's supposedly "non-existent" nuclear fusion patents and "fusor" reactor?

http://www.farnovision.com/chronicle...assilatos.html

http://www.rexresearch.com/farnsworth/fusor.htm

What about the Russian Dr. Kanarev's "cold" hydrogen fusion research back in 2002 that I've heard was recently suppressed by coercion? (Caution: it gets pretty technical and Russian in spots).

http://www.guns.connect.fi/innoplaza...rev/index.html

For the record, nuclear power (especially "breeder" reactors) has been demonized in the US since the Carter administration, while much of Europe has been quietly splitting atoms for their energy needs/wants for decades...

I am a little surprised to see Greenpeace on this bandwagon though, (especially since I know an ex-US Navy nuclear submarine guy that once turned a high-pressure fire hose on some Greenpeace "activists" who were mildly attacking/harassing a US nuclear sub and blasted them right out of their rubber boat into the drink).

AuGmENTor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dMole
    I am a little surprised to see Greenpeace on this bandwagon though, (especially since I know an ex-US Navy nuclear submarine guy that once turned a high-pressure fire hose on some Greenpeace "activists" who were mildly attacking/harassing a US nuclear sub and blasted them right out of their rubber boat into the drink).
    I was mainly refering to the irony surrounding the leader of GP speaking in such a way. Way to turn my thread in to technical mish-mash D. xD

YouCrazyDiamond Guest
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Moore_(environmentalist)

"In 2006, Moore became co-chair (with Christine Todd Whitman) of a new industry-funded initiative, the Clean and Safe Energy Coalition, which supports increased use of nuclear energy."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...401209_pf.html