Thread: I Was Curious, So...

I Was Curious, So...

I looked up what the news was reporting on 7/22/2004, the date for the release of the 9/11 Commission Report.

MSNBC

CNN

Don't ask me why. I was just curious. I couldn't find one for Fox.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

casseia Guest
    Wow, the groundwork for a war in Iran was already being laid.

"60 Minutes" tonight featured an OBL propaganda orgy -- addressing, for one thing, his kidney problems. According to his chatty former body guard, he absolutely has no kidney problems, is in excellent health, and is definitely planning another attack on the US.

Sometimes I wonder if the reason "truth" is being allowed to encroach on increasingly mainstream outlets is because something's going to happen, after which to suggest any government complicity would get you stoned to death in the street by a group of rabid Faux-o-philes.

bump... I'm reading Shenon's book... he mentions this, but as you can see, it's nothing new. He does say that there's no indication the Iranian leadership was aware of the "9/11 plot".

Bush: U.S. probes possible Iran links to 9/11
    Tehran government hiding Al Qaeda members, president says

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/07/19/bush.iran/index.html

Monday, July 19, 2004 Posted: 3:24 PM EDT (1924 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Iran is harboring members of al Qaeda, and the United States is investigating whether the Iranian government had a role in the September 11, 2001, attacks, President Bush said Monday.

Bush said the CIA has found no sign of a direct connection between Iran and the suicide hijackings that killed nearly 3,000 people.

"We will continue to look and see if the Iranians were involved," he said.

"I have long expressed my concerns about Iran. After all, it is a totalitarian society where free people are not allowed to exercise their rights as human beings."

The bipartisan, independent commission investigating the 9/11 attacks is expected to issue its final report this week.

The commission has found that eight to 10 of the hijackers passed through Iran between October 2000 and February 2001, Time magazine reported this week.

The magazine said that commission investigators have found that Iran had a history of allowing al Qaeda members to enter and leave the country across the Afghan border.

But the report does not offer evidence that Tehran was aware of the plans for the 9/11 attack.

On Monday, Bush accused Iran of harboring suspected al Qaeda members and developing nuclear weapons. If the country's Islamic government is to improve ties with Washington, the president said, it must hand over any al Qaeda members to their home countries, abandon its suspected nuclear weapons program and end its support of Islamic militant groups such as Hezbollah, which the United States considers to be a terrorist organization.

"As to direct connections to September 11, we're digging into the facts to determine if there was one," Bush said.

Iran has said it has al Qaeda members in its custody and will put them on trial. It denies trying to develop a nuclear bomb, saying its nuclear program is aimed at producing electrical power.

But the International Atomic Energy Agency, the U.N. nuclear watchdog, has rebuked Iran for not cooperating with the international community.

Bush branded Iran part of an "axis of evil" in his 2002 State of the Union speech, along with Iraq and North Korea.

The United States led an invasion into Iraq a year later after accusing Baghdad of harboring terrorists and concealing weapons of mass destruction from U.N. inspectors. Nearly 140,000 U.S. troops remain in Iraq after the establishment of an interim government.

werther Guest
    Whoa! I don't remember any talk of Iranian involvement. I guess my post here
    was wrong.

Even the 9/11 Report talks about Iran, and are basically the same allegations that Shenon mentioned...

"Our knowledge of the international travels of the al Qaeda operatives selected for the 9/11 operation remains fragmentary. But we now have evidence suggesting that 8 to 10 of the 14 Saudi “muscle” operatives traveled into or out of Iran between October 2000 and February 2001."

Footnote 121
    Intelligence report, analysis of Hezbollah, Iran, and 9/11, Dec. 20, 2001; Intelligence report, interrogation of Binalshibh, July 16, 2004.