Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Prime Minister Of Pakistan, Benazir Bhutto, Assassinated

Musharraf murdered my mother: Benazir’s son

http://zeenews.india.com/news/south-...on_777504.html

Last Updated: Friday, May 25, 2012, 13:58

Washington: The son of assassinated prime minister Benazir Bhutto has claimed that the country's former military ruler Pervez Musharraf "murdered my mother" as he pledged to play a bigger role in Pakistan's politics.

"He (Musharraf) murdered my mother (Benazir)," Bilawal Bhutto, Pakistan Peoples' Party chairman, said, adding "I hold him responsible for the murder of my mother."

23-year-old Bilawal charged that Musharraf sabotaged his mother's security when she returned to her homeland in 2007.

"Musharraf was aware of the threats. He himself had threatened her in the past. He said your security is directly linked to our relationship and our cooperation," he said.

"When he imposed emergency and it was clear that he was pulling the wool over our eyes, he was not interested in returning democracy to Pakistan and my mother started to speak out more against him, the security decreased," Bilawal, who is currently on a US visit, told the CNN in an interview.

For the first time in last few years, Bilawal said he planned to play a more active bigger role in Pakistan's politics, especially in the next elections.

"I am chairman of Pakistan Peoples' Party. I didn't campaign in last election. I went to university. I didn't feel like at that moment. Now I have the mandate to take a particularly active role. I look forward to campaigning in the next election and playing a larger role then," Bilawal, the son of Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, declared.

"I would like to help my people in any way I can. It's difficult times in Pakistan and we all have to help," he said.

Responding to a question on his safety in Pakistan, he said, he was not worried. "I am confident Pakistani government will provide me with the adequate security, unlike the government at the time that sabotaged my mother's security in Pakistan."
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Musharaf ‘murdered my mother’: Bilawal

http://dawn.com/2012/05/25/musharraf...other-bilawal/

WASHINGTON: The son of slain Pakistan leader Benazir Bhutto said on Thursday that ex-military ruler Pervez Musharaf “murdered my mother,” as he vowed to play a bigger political role in his homeland “in any way I can.”

Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, son of current President Asif Ali Zardari, said Musharaf sabotaged his mother’s security when she returned to her homeland in 2007, and said he is confident of his own security in Pakistan.

“I’m confident that the Pakistani government will provide me with the adequate security, unlike the government at the time that sabotaged my mother’s security in Pakistan,” he told CNN in an interview.

The 23-year-old, who returned to Pakistan last year after studying at Oxford, said her assassination was due to a combination of extremists, and Musharraf’s regime.

“Al Qaeda issued the instructions to do it, the Taliban… carried out the actual attack, while Pervez Musharaf purposely sabotaged my mother’s security when he knew there was going to be attacks, so she would be eliminated.

“He murdered my mother. I hold him responsible for the murder of my mother,” he added. “He’d threatened her himself in the past. He said: ‘Your security is directly linked to our relationship and our cooperation.’

“When he imposed emergency, and it was clear that he was pulling the wool over our eyes. He was not interested in returning democracy to Pakistan. And my mother started to speak out more against him, the security decreased.”

Bhutto was assassinated on December 27, 2007, while leaving an election rally in Rawalpindi, the headquarters of Pakistan’s army, shortly after her return to the country.

Musharraf, who has lived in self-imposed exile in London and Dubai since August 2008, has indefinitely delayed plans to return home to contest elections after the government warned he would be arrested upon arrival.

Bhutto’s son, who is head of the Pakistan’s People’s Party, said he hopes to take a greater role in Pakistan’s political life.

“I did not campaign in the last election, I went to university. I don’t feel like at the moment I have the mandate to take a particularly active role,” he said.

“I look forward to campaigning in the next election and playing a larger role then,” he said. Asked if he hoped to be Pakistan’s leader one day, he said: “I’d like to help my people in any way I can.

“It’s difficult times in Pakistan and we all have to help.”

Ex-Pakistan leader's account stays closed

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-Ne.../?spt=hs&or=tn

Published: July 26, 2012 at 11:01 AM

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan, July 26 (UPI) -- A Pakistani judge has refused a bank's request to reopen a bank account of former President Pervez Musharraf, judicial officials said.

The ruling on the request by Habib Bank Ltd. in Islamabad came from a special judge Wednesday, The Express Tribune said. Musharraf's bank account was seized by the government during an investigation of the 2007 assassination of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.

Musharraf, a former four-star Army general, was among those accused in Bhutto's killing and his properties were frozen by the court. He has lived in self-imposed exile in London since 2008, but has said he plans to return to Pakistan to run for president in 2013.

Habib Bank said the account containing about 60 million rupees ($634,000) should be reopened because it was a trust set up by Musharraf and his wife for the welfare of the needy, but trial judge Chaudhry Habibur Rehman said the private bank lacked legal standing to make such a request.

A special prosecutor from the Federal Investigation Agency said the bank account was the personal account of Musharraf and was never used to assist the poor.

ATC reserves judgment over Musharraf’s assets, declaration as absconder

http://dawn.com/2012/09/29/musharraf...its-judgement/

9/29/2012

ISLAMABAD: The Anti-Terrorism Special Court of Rawalpindi reserved its judgment in the petitions against the declaration of former president Pervez Musharraf as an absconder and against the freezing of the former ruler’s bank accounts and seizing his property, DawnNews reported on Saturday.

The petitions had been filed by Musharraf’s wife, Sehba Musharraf, at the Rawalpindi branch of the ATC. Both petitions were heard at the same hearing.

During the hearing, Sehba’s lawyer, Ilyas Siddiqui, said an inquiry was required before freezing a joint account involving an accused, adding that no inquiry had been carried out in this case.

FIA prosecutor Chaudhry Zulfiqar said Sehba possessed no personal income and that the joint account mainly contained Pervez Musharraf’s money.

He added that Musharraf was an absconder and no one may submit a request to restore his accounts until he himself returned to Pakistan.

Furthermore, he informed the court that out of 11 accounts that were frozen, seven were personal accounts belonging to Musharraf.

Subsequently, the court reserved its judgment which was expected to be announced on Oct 3.

In Sept 2011, Sehba had filed a petition seeking a stay on its order to confiscate the properties and freeze the accounts of her husband in the Benazir Bhutto assassination case.

Sehba had said the orders against her husband declaring him an absconder and attachment of his properties be withdrawn or recalled and the attached property be released to the petitioner.

Pakistani court summons Musharraf
    Islamabad: A Pakistani court Wednesday summoned former president Pervez Musharraf to explain his position on the US drone strikes in the country's northwest tribal regions, lawyers said.

http://news.in.msn.com/pakistan/arti...1151465#page=1

Petitions say that Musharraf, who took power in a bloodless coup in 1999 and resigned as president in 2008 to avoid a parliamentary impeachment, had allowed strikes by the US spy aircraft, reported Xinhua.

Musharraf, who lives in exile in Britain and the UAE, has denied agreeing to the US drone attacks.The Peshawar High Court issued notice to Musharraf when a US drone strike in North Waziristan Wednesday killed at least two people.

A group of religious parties, known as the Defence of Pakistan Council, have moved court against the drone attacks and the killing of innocent people including women and children in these attacks. They submitted petitions to the court to seek details about agreement signed by Musharraf with the US on the drone strikes.

Defence lawyer F.M. Sabir asked the court to issue an arrest warrant for Mushrraf. However, the two-member bench served notice on Musharraf and ordered him to appear at the next hearing the date of which would be announced later.

Several courts have issued arrest warrants for Musharraf in cases including the assassination of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, who was killed in an attack in December 2007 when Musharraf was the president. He has never appeared in any court but said he will defend himself in court after he returns home.

Musharraf has also launched his own political party, All Pakistan Muslim League, in exile and announced that he will end exile after the dates for the parliamentary elections are announced. Elections are due early next year.

A top defence official reportedly told a parliamentary panel this week that the US carried out drone strikes from an air base in Balochistan province with the government's approval. But later he retracted his remarks.

Benazir murder: Defence files for contempt to stop making case findings public

http://tribune.com.pk/story/477275/b...ndings-public/

12/9/2012

RAWALPINDI: Advocate Rao Abdul Raheem representing Sher Zaman, one of the five men accused in the Benazir Bhutto assassination case, filed a petition with the Rawalpindi trial court on Saturday to initiate contempt of court proceedings against state prosecution to stop them from making public details of the case.

Raheem submitted before the Anti-Terrorism Court in Rawalpindi on Saturday that the court had directed state prosecutors belonging to the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to ‘proceed in accordance with the law’ on an application which sought permission to make details of investigations in the Benazir case public.

Interior minister Rehman Malik had earlier in December said that more facts about the case will be revealed on December 27, 2012, the fifth anniversary of the former Prime Minister’s assassination.

In his application, Advocate Raheem claimed that the prosecution has advertised that the trial court had permit the federal government to go ahead with its plan of going public with findings of the case. This, the defence argued, was false, and tantamount to contempt of court.

Daily hearings of Benazir Bhutto case
    Earlier, FIA’s special public prosecutor in the Benazir Bhutto’s assassination case on Saturday once again pleaded to conduct day to day hearings for the five year old case.

Prosecutor Chaudhry Zulfiqar Ali urged the Special Judge Anti-Terrorism Court-I Habibur Rehman to follow the directions of a judge of Lahore High Court on hearing terrorism cases.

The FIA’s lawyer said Justice Manzoor Malik of the LHC and an administrative judge of the anti-terrorism courts in Punjab, had recently directed trial judges to carry out day to day hearings in terrorism cases.

The prosecutor argued that the assassination case of Benazir Bhutto had been the longest pending case before ATC-I of Rawalpindi and it needed day-to-day hearings.

Responding to Chaudhry Zulfiqar’s pleas, the trial judge remarked that lawyers associated with the case should ensure their presence every day to make daily hearings possible.

Musharraf’s frozen properties
    The trial court on Saturday could not take up hearings on an application filed by Sebah Musharraf for unfreezing property of former President Pervez Musharraf since their lawyer failed to appear before the court.

Advocate Ilyas Siddiqi representing Musharraf’s wife was due to provide proof of his client’s ownership of an agriculture farm in Islamabad and money deposited in various accounts owned by Pervez Musharraf.

Juvenile UTP
    In another development advocate Naseer Ahmed Tanoli representing the accused Aitzaz Shah filed an application with the court saying being a juvenile the trial of Aitzaz should be sped up.

Talking to The Express Tribune advocate Tanoli said in the application he had urged on the court to direct the prosecution to put forward its witnesses against his client and the court should dispose of the trial at the earliest since his client, a juvenile, has been languishing in jails as an under-trial prisoner for the last five years.

Mark Siegel to testify against Gen Musharraf

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-ne...-gen-musharraf

By: Our Staff Reporter | December 27, 2012

ISLAMABAD-American lobbyist Mark Siegel has said that he is ready to record his statement in an anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi on January 5 as a prosecution witness in Benazir Bhutto assassination case, TheNation learnt.

An officer of FIA's Counter Terrorism Wing (CTW) said Wednesday that Siegel had been served with notice through Interpol and he was willing to appear in the court on January 5.

Siegel is a key prosecution witness in the case against former president General (r) Pervez Musharraf who is an accused in the Benazir assassination case.

An anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi had summoned six prosecution witnesses including Mark Siegel to record his statement in former prime minister's murder case.

According to the earlier statement recorded by Siegel in the US, Musharraf had threatened Benazir Bhutto with dire consequences if she would return home before the 2008 general elections.Benazir Bhutto, before her assassination, had also sent an email to Siegel, expressing security apprehensions from some high profile people of the government.

The court had issued summons to six prosecution witnessed on 15 December when counsels for the prosecution and defence had concluded their arguments.

Feature: Benazir Bhutto’s death remains unresolved as Pakistan marks her 5th death anniversary

http://www.nzweek.com/world/feature-...versary-39790/

by Muhammad Tahir

ISLAMABAD, Dec. 27 — The mystery surrounding the assassination of Pakistani former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto remains unresolved five years after her violent death in a suicide attack in the garrison city of Rawalpindi on Dec. 27, 2007.

Benazir Bhutto, the Western-educated daughter of the martyred Pakistani founder Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, ruled Pakistan twice and was the first elected woman prime minister in the Muslim world.

Bhutto returned to Pakistan on Oct. 18, 2007 ending her years of exile abroad and hundreds of thousands of people received her at Karachi. Bombers targeted her supporters at her welcoming rally, killing over 150 people including Bhutto, in well-coordinated attacks.

President Asif Ali Zardari, Benazir’s husband, had once announced that he knows the people who killed his wife and that he would expose them in due time but nothing has come out yet.

Interior Minister Rehman Malik promised this month that he will reveal the brains in the Bhutto assassination on her 5th death anniversary.

All eyes are now focused on the gathering of the stalwarts of the ruling Pakistan Peoples’ Party at Bhutto’s mausoleum in south Sindh province Thursday as to what President Zardari and other senior leaders of the party would say about the investigations.

The mystery will haunt the PPP if it fails to expose those behind Bhutto’s tragic death during its five-year government, when the party had its own president and prime minister and all security agencies under their control.

The then government of former President Pervez Musharraf blamed Pakistani Taliban for Bhutto’s murder but the claim was quickly rejected by a spokesman for the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP). No group has yet claimed responsibility for the gruesome attack.

On Musharraf’s request, the British government had sent a police team from Scotland Yard to help investigate the assassination after the PPP had expressed serious doubts on the then government’s version of the attack.

When the PPP won parliamentary elections in February 2008, the new government conducted its own investigation into the incident with the help of a team of United Nations experts.

In its findings in 2010, the UN team said that Bhutto’s assassination could have been prevented if proper security measures were undertaken.

The UN report had also criticized Pakistani officials for failing to protect Bhutto and security officials were hit for not investigating her death properly.

A Pakistani anti-terrorism court has been conducting a trial of seven men accused of involvement in Bhutto’s assassination but they have denied any role in the attack. However, the investigators said some of the suspects had facilitated the attackers.

The court has not yet delivered its final verdict on the case despite years of hearings.

Pakistani investigators said that Musharraf had failed to put in place a proper security mechanism for Bhutto and the court has issued arrest warrant for him after he failed to appear and record his statement.

The Federal Investigative Agency (FIA), which is investigating the case, said Musharraf was named in the charge sheet as he had failed to provide the “VVIP security” that Bhutto was entitled to as a two-time prime minister.

Bhutto’s family friend and her lobbyist in the U.S. Mark Siegel said that he was with Bhutto in London when Musharraf told her that her life would be in danger if she returns to Pakistan a few months before the 2008 parliamentary elections.

The trial court has summoned Siegel, also a journalist, in the first week of January to record his statement. Pakistani investigators said that Siegel has agreed to record his statement.

Musharraf, who has been living in exile since his resignation in 2008, has denied any involvement in the Bhutto murder and said he will defend himself in Pakistani courts.

He insisted that it was not duty of the president to provide security to the former prime minister, claiming that he had warned Bhutto about threats to her life before the attack.

Perpetual warrants for Musharraf’s arrest sought

http://dawn.com/2013/01/22/perpetual...rest-sought-2/

ISLAMABAD, Jan 21: Secretariat police filed an application in a local court on Monday seeking proclaimed offender status for former president Pervez Musharraf and issuance of perpetual warrants for his arrest in judges’ detention case.

Abbas Shah, civil judge and judicial magistrate for the Islamabad West district court, had issued an arrest warrant for General Musharraf on December 18, 2012 at the request of the Secretariat police SHO.

The police, however, informed the court on Monday that the warrants could not be executed as General Musharraf, having been abroad for the past few years, was not available at the address given in the original complaint.

The police application was aimed completing the legal requirements to proceed further against General Musharraf.

Magistrate Abbas Shah adjourned the matter till February 16 and issued notice to the complainant in the case, lawyer Chaudhry Mohammad Aslam Ghumman, who filed the original FIR against President Musharraf over three years ago, in August 2009.

In the FIR, Ghumman alleged that following the imposition of Emergency on November 3, 2007, General Musharraf had not only detained over sixty judges of the superior judiciary, including Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry, but also caused distress to their families by sealing their houses and stationing police forces there for almost three months.

Even the children of the detained judges were not allowed to continue their studies during the period of detention, according to Ghumman’s allegations.

In response to the latest development, Mr Ghumman told Dawn that the police had asked the court to issue a proclamation declaring General Musharraf proclaimed offender under Section 512 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

Once the former president is declared a proclaimed offender, he continued, the prosecution can file another request to have his property confiscated and have him declared an absconder. In the next stage, they may ask Interpol to issue a “red notice” and arrest him abroad.

Pakistan court rejects plea by Musharraf's wife

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-...1-1020419.aspx

Islamabad, March 03, 2013

A Pakistani anti-terrorism court has rejected a plea by former military ruler Pervez Musharraf's wife challenging the confiscation of his property and freezing of his bank accounts after he was declared a "proclaimed offender" or fugitive.

Judge Chaudhry Habib-ur-Rehman upheld the court's earlier decision to seize Musharraf's assets and disposed of the petition filed by Sehba Musharraf.

Rehman gave his ruling after Sehba's lawyer could not present record of her income deposited in the couple's joint bank accounts.

Musharraf's wife had contended that she was the actual owner of most of the assets that were seized in 2011 after the former President failed to appear in the court conducting the trial of persons charged with involvement in the 2007 assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto.

Prosecutors have accused Musharraf, 69, of failing to provide adequate security to Bhutto when she returned to Pakistan from self-exile in 2007.

Musharraf, who has himself been living in self-exile in Dubai and London since 2009, has spurned several requests to cooperate in the investigation into Bhutto's assassination.

The anti-terrorism court declared Musharraf a fugitive in August 2011 and directed authorities to seize his assets, including a sprawling farmhouse on the outskirts of Islamabad.

The court's latest order rejecting Sehba's petition came just a day after he announced he would return to Pakistan by the end of this month to participate in upcoming polls.

Musharraf, who has formed the All Pakistan Muslim League, has said his party will "fully participate" in the next general election and field candidates in almost all constituencies across the country.

Sehba had told the court that her husband had gifted her the farmhouse. She further claimed the money in their joint bank accounts were meant for the use of a trust working for the welfare of the public.

Several Pakistani courts have issued arrest warrants for Musharraf in connection with the Lal Masjid operation and the killing of Baloch leader Nawab Akbar Bugti in 2006 and Bhutto's assassination.