Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Labour MPs Call for Blair Resignation

John 63 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    It makes sense... how did we come up with our cochomemy (sp?) system?
    I still like ours better, no offence. I'm not sure about the Electoral College, maybe that's an idea that's outlived it's usefulness.

John 63 Guest
    Watch "Prime Minister's Questions" on C-Span, to get an idea of how British politics works.

The Electoral College has outlived its' usefulness...
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Ophie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John 63
    I still like ours better, no offence. I'm not sure about the Electoral College, maybe that's an idea that's outlived it's usefulness.
    Hehehehehe I remember in high school, our poor teacher tried, I don't know how many times to explain the electoral college to all us Canadian kids. He'd explain it then look out across all our blank faces and say "nothing yet?" LOL We just couldn't wrap our heads around it! I still don't think I get it.

Ophie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John 63
    Watch "Prime Minister's Questions" on C-Span, to get an idea of how British politics works.
    Plus, it's just plain old entertaining!

I've watched British Parliament on C-SPAN before. I like it. Everyone is always yelling at each other. It's funny. And they always say in unison, "Here Here...", or "Boooooo"...
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

John 63 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophie
    Hehehehehe I remember in high school, our poor teacher tried, I don't know how many times to explain the electoral college to all us Canadian kids. He'd explain it then look out across all our blank faces and say "nothing yet?" LOL We just couldn't wrap our heads around it! I still don't think I get it.
    The Electoral College was originally created, and hopefully I'm remembering this correctly, by the Founding Fathers as a sort of protection against the regular voters making a bad decision at the polls. Electors are not required to cast their votes for the same candidate as the majority of voters in the state they represent vote for. But nowadays, they do vote for whoever gets the majority of the votes in the state they represent. I don't know if there has been a recent example of a state elector going against the grain and casting his vote for a candidate who got a minority of the vote. Don't know if I explained this that well, it's too confusing. They should just do away with the Electoral College.

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't see Ophie's comments until now.

beltman713 Guest
    I think you're on the mark.