Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mexico, One Of The World's Biggest Oil Producers, Is Running Out

dMole Guest

More on woodgas...

Hey AuG,

I finally got 2 AA batteries into my little "woodgas" campstove and tried it out (making my camp coffee for the last several weeks). That lil' fucker is pretty damn nifty!

It only took about 2 elapsed minutes to bring 2 cups of water to a boil (approximately natural gas times from what I recall, and a damn sight quicker than an electric range).

Strangely, the best fuel I found were the old twigs that I trimmed and snapped off the old lilac bushes nearby (hardwoods like juniper/cedar, cherry, etc. should be excellent). The bigger stuff that I split with my camp axe and charcoal didn't work quite as well, but it still worked. Kinda cool to gather your own "fuel" from anywhere without using tools (but I did use a good pair of gloves), aside from the 2 AA battery thing for the fan. I'm already planning on getting a PV solar car battery charger adapted, and modifying the fan circuit to get more than 2 speeds [damn engineers anyway ]. Plus, you don't have that stinking, messy liquid fuel or heavy, clanking, low-altitude (often empty) propane bottle thing.

It is a little tricky to figure out cooking on the hydrogen/carbon monoxide "woodgas" flame at first, but it burns damn hot (hotter than a propane stove, I'd say, and we have a problem getting propane to ignite above 8,000 feet out this way). I was only at about 5300 feet AMSL though when I tried it, so I can't attest to it's high-altitude performance (although these stoves are made in CO)- I'll try that out in the next few months though (I know a spot about 11,000 feet that I frequent). There is nearly NO smoke when you get it dialed in right, unless you choke out the flame (easily fixed with a match or lighter when it smokes)- this usually occured when adding fuel too quickly.

My old Mom is sold on them and wants me to order her one (she's internet-challenged). The new ones are stainless steel, but I kinda like my apparently "old school" kelly green model too.

Give it a look- now they apparently have 2 sizes.

http://www.woodgascampstove.com/

dMole Guest
    Cripes, those worthless fucks appear to have taken down the verylastpageoftheinternet! Grrrr....

[This is this same "spooky" page design that I seem to keep running into online for whatever reason...]

http://www.theverylastpageoftheinternet.com

http://www.theverylastpageoftheinter...r/frenette.htm

AuGmENTor Guest
    70 BUX???? Are you NUTS??? I'll just make one.

dMole Guest
    I kinda figured you might take that tack. Steel coffee, paint, and V8/tomato juice cans ought to work well for the short term (AFTER burning out the paint or other harmful residue away in a "regular" campfire). Add a 3-5 VDC computer fan, ducting, and shroud and you're almost there. Just be sure to drill the "vent" holes small at first- apparently there are some "carburetion" issues, unless you add an air mixture valve somehow.

Tinker away my good man and good luck!

AuGmENTor Guest
    I have a 400w panel I have socked away to run little things like the fan among other things. I already found pland to make one. Pretty simple really.

dMole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AuGmENTor
    . I already found pland to make one. Pretty simple really.
    Got plans or a link for that? I think you might owe me one or two tips by now my friend.

dMole Guest

Butyl Fuel- brew your own

AuGmENTor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dMole
    Got plans or a link for that? I think you might owe me one or two tips by now my friend.
    I never bookmarked it and got the blue screen of death from some grimy software. Google is your friend though. I think I found it in under five minutos. Sorry, I have the attention span of a fruit fly these days.

dMole Guest
    OK- here's a link about bacterial/biomass gas and diesel, projected to cost about $0.25/gal. Think these guys have a Chevron/Rockefeller "accident" waiting in their future?

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo...io-Energy,_Inc