Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ANOTHER 200bn$???

simuvac Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AuGmENTor
    But ultimately to what end?
    I guess it's a question of how the elites want this cash cow to die.

Slow and profitably, or fast and more profitably?

Remember, according to peak oil theory there is no empire after this one. Once the oil is depleted (but not gone), there's no going back to the way things were.

AuGmENTor Guest
    Remember, according to peak oil theory there is no empire after this one. Once the oil is depleted (but not gone), there's no going back to the way things were.
    I know that is the basic contention. What I am asking is once it is gone (in theory) how do they benefit after? No oil, basic human services in the shitter. What money is there to be had then? And by that point, what good does money do you anyway? If it is a total economic collapse, and if peak oil is right (and as they say, there is no coming back) then what is the point?
    Sidebar: I see lots of alternate energy technology coming to the front right now. And while I know thet the years it would take to switch everything off of oil, it could be done. Blech, nevermind, my head hurts now..

simuvac Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AuGmENTor
    I know that is the basic contention. What I am asking is once it is gone (in theory) how do they benefit after? No oil, basic human services in the shitter. What money is there to be had then? And by that point, what good does money do you anyway? If it is a total economic collapse, and if peak oil is right (and as they say, there is no coming back) then what is the point?
    Sidebar: I see lots of alternate energy technology coming to the front right now. And while I know thet the years it would take to switch everything off of oil, it could be done. Blech, nevermind, my head hurts now..
    Sure. I hear what you're saying. It sounds like a completely nihilistic proposition.

Personally, I think the reason it will collapse faster rather than slower is because of structural pressures. The MIC is not going to disband overnight, and as the need to control the remaining oil becomes more contested we will probably see the various competitors ramp up their armed forces (thus accelerating decline rather than investing in its delay).

I hope a magic bullet technology exists. But if you look at all of human history as your timeline, the current moment of oil-based expansion of the species really is just a blip, not the norm.

AuGmENTor Guest
    Either that or all the end-of-the-world doomsayers are right. Magine that.

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    great info