Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Black Ops

Black Ops
    Conspiracy and 9/11

http://www.lewrockwell.com/wilson/wilson26.html

by Clyde Wilson
    9/21/2007

Our late friend Murray Rothbard used to point out to those who scoffed at "conspiracy theories" that history is indeed full of real conspiracies, and that often conspiracy provides a more satisfactory explanation for an event than the "lone nut theory" that is popular with government spokespersons.

The continuing drumbeat of speculation that 9/11 may have been a U.S. government "black ops" mission, a charge coming from what seems to be a respectable minority of seemingly informed observers, tells us much about the sad condition of the American polity.

I am inclined to think that none of us can possibly have enough information to know the full truth about 9/11. We will not have such information for years, very possibly never. Why, we still don’t know the full truth about the Lincoln and Kennedy assassinations. In my always humble opinion, the incompetence demonstrated by our rulers before, during, and after 9/11 would be alone enough to bring down any government, without the need for revelations of complicity – if we had a responsible democratic regime.

I am not a "conspiracy theorist," but, like any old newspaperman, I am a skeptic. In the years of my misspent youth as a reporter I saw police chiefs, mayors, newspaper executives, and other dignitaries lie and distort and suppress the truth. I am inclined to suspect that such is even more likely among the feds, for whom the stakes are much greater.

Is the U.S. government capable of such an atrocity? I take this to be true: the politicians who wield the immense powers of the U.S. government will murder Americans if it serves their agenda and they can get away with. To think otherwise is to take an excessively naïve attitude toward Power. Those politicians have a lifetime record of self-serving and lack of moral principle – else they would not be where they are. Power corrupts. Power can only be checked by counter Power. The U.S. government exercises much power that is unchecked, unresponsible, and clandestine. This has been habitual and institutionalized at least since World War II.

Can we judge that the official government story of what happened on 9/11 is unreliable?

We know that politicians lied about the sinking of the "Maine," Pearl Harbour, the Gulf of Tonkin, Waco, and Iraqi WMD. This administration has engaged in more systematic and frequent deception of the public perhaps than any other in recent times. And has been successful at it because the public has never been more ignorant and the media more craven.

Yes, thoughtful citizens have every reason to suspect some self-serving deception in the government story, though this does not necessarily imply actual complicity in the atrocities. It might imply a cover-up of incompetence, irresponsibility, negligence, and fecklessness in high places. The strongest argument against the black ops theory, it seems to me, is that such an accomplishment is beyond the imagination and the competence of the politicians in power.

The most important point here is that Power is by its nature dangerous, acquisitive, and corrupting and must always be watched and questioned by people who wish to retain their freedom. This we have nearly forgotten, but was a watchword to our Founding Fathers. So, let's keep on doubting and challenging official "truth."
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

The strongest argument against the black ops theory, it seems to me, is that such an accomplishment is beyond the imagination and the competence of the politicians in power.

Did they want to go to war with Afghanistan and Iraq?
    Did they want to make billions of dollars for their corporate friends?
    Did they want to "transform" America's military?
    Did they want to increase Executive power?
    Did they want to expand America's power?

Yes.

Did they manage to do all five?

Yes.

How then can anyone argue that they are too incompetent?

Then, let's take a look at how competent they were at selling the wars. Then, let's take a look at how competent they are at stealing elections. Then, let's take a look at how competent they were at obstructing justice. And on, and on, and on...

Let's also not forget that their imagination was good enough to know that they would need a "New Pearl Harbor" in order to accomplish their goals.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

AuGmENTor Guest
    BUMP (good thread)