Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Teen Has Abortion Blocked By Judge

pcteaser Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissVA15
    It would be even more cruel to allow her to have the abortion becuase later on she will either find that to be an easy way out, she will regret her actions seriously later on, or she will not be able to have children later on in life, which is a risk that all women who go through abortions take. Also, it would be cruel to the child that she conceived in her stupidity to kill when there is a reason that it is being brought into this world.
    And yes, she would be scared, but all women are when they go into labor. If she gets scared, there is a c-section. Yeah it will leave a scar, but maybe it will be a reminder to her to think before she acts foolishly again.
    We are talking about a 13 year old girl here. A person just beginning to learn what it is to try and be an adult. Your comment on how this may be a reminder to her to think before she acts "foolishly" again, I feel is a little out of touch with reality. Someone obviously took advantage of her sexually and now she is paying the ultimate price. Where does their responsibility start? How well was she taught about the consequences of such an act? This poor girl has obviously slipped through the cracks of our social system and yet it seems you wish to punish her for her actions? Forgive me if I am misreading your intent.

Simply_sexy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pcteaser
    We are talking about a 13 year old girl here. A person just beginning to learn what it is to try and be an adult. Your comment on how this may be a reminder to her to think before she acts "foolishly" again, I feel is a little out of touch with reality. Someone obviously took advantage of her sexually and now she is paying the ultimate price. Where does their responsibility start? How well was she taught about the consequences of such an act? This poor girl has obviously slipped through the cracks of our social system and yet it seems you wish to punish her for her actions? Forgive me if I am misreading your intent.
    I think she said it perfectly.

This girl is only 13!! There has been many speculations on who the father is but I've also read one report where they think that she made a comment that it was a one of her many Foster Fathers. If she was raped or taken advantage of, are you saying that she should be punished again for being a victim?

laurabears Guest
    If the girl would have had parents and not been a ward of the state of Florida this would not have been an issue. I do not know about Florida law but even if she needed parental consent I would imagine her parents would have had enough sense to grant it. In Ohio you don't even need parental consent. Any girl who is old enough to get pregnant can have an abortion and no one has to know.

MissVA15 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Simply_sexy
    I think she said it perfectly.

This girl is only 13!! There has been many speculations on who the father is but I've also read one report where they think that she made a comment that it was a one of her many Foster Fathers. If she was raped or taken advantage of, are you saying that she should be punished again for being a victim?
    I can understand your point of view, but i like how NO ONE has thought about the child who is being born. He or she is a human being and deserves its chance at life. I think that the Roe v Wade case made a huge mistake. It breaks one of our fundamental rights : The Right to Life.

And yes it is a possibility that she was taken advantage of, but it will be partially her own fault. I was raped. But I do not put the whole blame on the guys who did it. I dressed a little too provacatively, and they decided that they wanted some. Thirteen year olds, by that point, should have acquired enough sense, especially today when you hear about things that are going on in the world harmful to women, to do things that would prevent actions such as that, such as covering up their newly developing parts. Also, she could just be saying some of the things, like it was a foster father, to make people more sympathetic to her case. I have known and heard of girls who have competitions with each other to see how many guys they can sleep with, yes at her age, because they think it will make them grow up sooner. I do not think having her go through with the child birth will cause her to become a victim, but hopefully make her stronger and a little bit smarter. In my opinion, she is taking the easy way out, and that makes her even less of an adult.

pcteaser Guest
    I can understand your point of view, but i like how NO ONE has thought about the child who is being born. He or she is a human being and deserves its chance at life. I think that the Roe v Wade case made a huge mistake. It breaks one of our fundamental rights : The Right to Life.

And yes it is a possibility that she was taken advantage of, but it will be partially her own fault. I was raped. But I do not put the whole blame on the guys who did it. I dressed a little too provacatively, and they decided that they wanted some. Thirteen year olds, by that point, should have acquired enough sense, especially today when you hear about things that are going on in the world harmful to women, to do things that would prevent actions such as that, such as covering up their newly developing parts. Also, she could just be saying some of the things, like it was a foster father, to make people more sympathetic to her case. I have known and heard of girls who have competitions with each other to see how many guys they can sleep with, yes at her age, because they think it will make them grow up sooner. I do not think having her go through with the child birth will cause her to become a victim, but hopefully make her stronger and a little bit smarter. In my opinion, she is taking the easy way out, and that makes her even less of an adult.
    A child born to a 13 year old who is a ward of the state. What will happen to this child? Using this argument is akin to saying that children born to women living in third world countries at the lowest poverty levels have a right to life. A right to what kind of life? Would you take it upon yourself to see that this "life" that you so protect, actually has a chance at a good life? Or does that not matter? Life for the sake of living, perhaps.

I was raped too. At 11, and yes, I was dressed a little provacatively. But I refuse to take ANY blame for what happened to me. I'll never buy the argument that men cannot control themselves. Nobody has the right to rape, no matter what the provocation might be.

Ophie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beltman713
    Source

Florida girl has abortion blocked
    By Jeremy Cooke
    BBC News, New York

Young mums pushing prams

A pregnant 13-year-old girl in Florida has been told she cannot have an abortion because she lacks the maturity to make such a decision.

A state court granted an injunction which prevents the girl from terminating her pregnancy.

She is three months pregnant and had planned to have an abortion on Tuesday of this week.

The American Civil Liberties Union says it will launch an urgent appeal against the ruling.

'Too young to choose'

Florida's department of children and families intervened and took the matter to court, arguing the teenager, who is under the care of the state, is too young and immature to make an informed medical decision. Judge Ronald Alvarez in Palm Beach accepted that argument and has granted a temporary injunction and psychological evaluation, which effectively blocks her from terminating the pregnancy.

It is a case which, once again, plays into the heated and divisive debate about abortion in America.

The judge's ruling comes in spite of Florida state law which specifically does not require a minor to seek parental consent before an abortion.

The American Civil Liberties Union 's executive director in Florida, Howard Simon, said forcing a 13-year-old to carry on an unwanted pregnancy to term, against her wishes, is not only illegal and unconstitutional, it is cruel.
    Umm, so 13 is mature enough to care for a growing baby in her womb for nine months, then raise it? Are you kidding me???

How come the men are staying out of this conversation?
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Ophie Guest

I don't even know where to start with this post.

1. What kind of adult is this child going to grow up to be, raised by a 13 year old, or becoming a ward of the state? Studies have shown that teenagers aren't very good at raising mature, responsible adults. I live in a city that has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in North America. And everywhere I look there are juvenile delinquents who were raised by teenage single moms who didn't even want them to begin with. Do you think these kids are going to grow up to become responsible citizens in our society? Very doubtful.

2. It is not her fault if she was raped by a Foster parent. How on earth could you think otherwise?? Just because a person dresses provacatively doesn't give ANYBODY the right to do things to you, you don't want done. No right whatsoever. You need to realize this, for yourself as well.

3. You expect a 13 year old girl to have enough sense not to get raped?? We're talking about a 13 year old CHILD. Her brain is not even close to be fully functional yet. Perhaps there is no sex ed at her school, or none of her Foster parents ever bothered to tell her about the birds and the bees. Somebody earlier said she has fallen through the cracks of society, and that person was exactly right about that.

4. So because some girls have made false accusations, then there is no way this child could have been abused by a Foster parent. Come on, this happens all the time in these types of situations, unfortunately.

In my opinion she is not taking the easy way out. She will remember having that abortion for the rest of her life. She will have paid her price, and therefore may not act so "foolishly" in the future anyway. Forcing her to have this baby as some sort of punishment for her actions is what's foolish.

Ophie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pcteaser
    A child born to a 13 year old who is a ward of the state. What will happen to this child? Using this argument is akin to saying that children born to women living in third world countries at the lowest poverty levels have a right to life. A right to what kind of life? Would you take it upon yourself to see that this "life" that you so protect, actually has a chance at a good life? Or does that not matter? Life for the sake of living, perhaps.

I was raped too. At 11, and yes, I was dressed a little provacatively. But I refuse to take ANY blame for what happened to me. I'll never buy the argument that men cannot control themselves. Nobody has the right to rape, no matter what the provocation might be.
    That's because men CAN control themselves. And if they can't, then they have a sexual/mental disorder which should be dealt with immediately. The "dressing provacatively" argument is rubbish.

You've made a very good point, which I completely agree with.

MissVA15 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophie
    I don't even know where to start with this post.

1. What kind of adult is this child going to grow up to be, raised by a 13 year old, or becoming a ward of the state? Studies have shown that teenagers aren't very good at raising mature, responsible adults. I live in a city that has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in North America. And everywhere I look there are juvenile delinquents who were raised by teenage single moms who didn't even want them to begin with. Do you think these kids are going to grow up to become responsible citizens in our society? Very doubtful.

2. It is not her fault if she was raped by a Foster parent. How on earth could you think otherwise?? Just because a person dresses provacatively doesn't give ANYBODY the right to do things to you, you don't want done. No right whatsoever. You need to realize this, for yourself as well.

3. You expect a 13 year old girl to have enough sense not to get raped?? We're talking about a 13 year old CHILD. Her brain is not even close to be fully functional yet. Perhaps there is no sex ed at her school, or none of her Foster parents ever bothered to tell her about the birds and the bees. Somebody earlier said she has fallen through the cracks of society, and that person was exactly right about that.

4. So because some girls have made false accusations, then there is no way this child could have been abused by a Foster parent. Come on, this happens all the time in these types of situations, unfortunately.

In my opinion she is not taking the easy way out. She will remember having that abortion for the rest of her life. She will have paid her price, and therefore may not act so "foolishly" in the future anyway. Forcing her to have this baby as some sort of punishment for her actions is what's foolish.
    In addressing your first point, obviously you did not read one of my earlier posts is which i said that she should give the child up for adoption. I have a friend whose mom was 15 when she had her, 14 when concieved. My friend was adopted, and is a very healthy and smart individual. The 13 year old could easily give her child up for adoption.

Towards your second point, it was said earlier that they think that she MIGHT have said that it was one of her foster fathers. It isn't a proven that she did say it. Also, if it MIGHT have been, obviously she has been sexually active with other people, of her own choice.

Next, yes I do expect a 13 year old to know how to prevent circumstances in which she can be raped. But that is only if it was unwanted. Life i just said, she probably willingly had sex with other males. If she chooses to have sex, then she better be prepared to deal with the consequences.

And on your last point, I am not saying that there is no way that she was abused by a foster parent. I do understand that things like tat happen, but the System, which people are saying she fell through the cracks of, does try to get the best people for both foster and adoptive parents.

I like how you say "Forcing her to have this baby as some sort of punishment for her actions is what's foolish." It was her actions, as you just stated. Why should someone not have to pay the repercussions for their actions? And also, you say earlier that having the abortion might prevent her from acting foolishly again. I doubt it. Once a female has an abortion, they are more likely to have other ones. It is the easy way out. They do not feel like having this "burden" so they get rid of it by paying a relatively small amount (latest I heard was about $350, depending on where you go). Yes, I agree that having a baby is a difficult thing, but why take something away from someone, or in other words, take a possible future with a good family away from this unborn child? I do not disagree that she is too young to keep a baby for herself, but she is not too young to carry one to full term.

Something else that you said that struck me was that her brain wasn't anywhere close to being fully functional. Just to let you know, by age 6, a child's brain is 95% of the way completed, and the rest isn't finished until about age 25. This girl's brain is capable of making these decisions to have sex and other things of the like. But I do not think her, or anyone, has the right to get rid of an unborn baby just becuase when they find out that they are pregnant they do not want it. There are so many people in this country who want to have babies who cannot, and are willing to adopt one.