Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Florida Teen Has Abortion Blocked By Judge

Giggles Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissVA15
    Allrighty, I do not know about anyone else, but I am starting to get more and more aggrivated. We are all very opinionated and set in our beliefs. I know that I have things that affect my life more then this that I need to get done, with finals starting soon, so I think that I might have to suggest that the discussion comes to an end. We will not be able to change anyone's opinion on here, and also no one who has the ability to make a decision about this case is reading this. I will be sad to not be getting many more posts, but oh well. Maybe see you on a different thread.
    I agree, I'm getting very aggressive and have decided to take you up on this. I'm not discussing this any more.

Uber Commandante Guest
    You've got to be kidding me.... I just read through 20 minutes of posts so that I could make an intelligent contribution, only to find that the last post is people agreeing no to post anymore??!!

Well, that's just tough. Even if noone reads this, I will at least have my say.

Its obvious that no one is going to change anyone else's moral stance on this issue, because issues of life are not defined anywhere (except some holy texts) so its up to us to figure them out. For me, a plant or other animal has just as much life-force in it as human animals and its the transfer of that energy from one carrier to another (through eating, death, decomposition, etc) that provides the continuity of Life - the circle of Life, I suppose its called.

But thats only me. I recognize that I share this society with many other people, like-minded or otherwise. And we all have various 'moral' compasses. So, because of these different compasses, we will never be able to agree on making laws based on one set of them. Therefor, we have to look at alternatives.

To me, the alternative is the idea of Harm Reduction. Because we will never agree on enforcing one moral code over another, we have to revert to 'what causes the least amount of harm to society' in general. So, which law will cause the least amount of harm? Outlawing abortion altogether (which is of course the ultimate goal of religious right), or protecting the right to an abortion? What are the consequences of each?

In my mind, outlawing abortion will 1) enforce the moral code of one segment of society and 2) result in girls/women attempting to get abortions anyway (as they did before Roe VS Wade), but in unsafe conditions that will result in death, desease, trauma, etc. This isn't fiction - this was what was happening in this country b4 abortion was legalized.

Alternatively, protecting abortion will 1) offend the moral code of one segment of society and 2) prevent the death and disease of the aforementioned point.

To me it seems obvious that in terms of Harm Reduction, protecting the right to abortion is the correct choice. Even though it may very well be morally repugnant to a large segment of the population, in this case we need to look at society at large. And sometimes that means that 13 year old girls get to have an abortion, because the alternative is that she will try to get it done anyway.

And where will that lead?

Thanks for listening - This is Uber Commandante, 33 year old white male, father and husband, signing out. (Full Disclosure).

This is why men didn't partake in this conversation. It would have been over a long time ago...
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

pcteaser Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Uber Commandante
    You've got to be kidding me.... I just read through 20 minutes of posts so that I could make an intelligent contribution, only to find that the last post is people agreeing no to post anymore??!!

Well, that's just tough. Even if noone reads this, I will at least have my say.

Its obvious that no one is going to change anyone else's moral stance on this issue, because issues of life are not defined anywhere (except some holy texts) so its up to us to figure them out. For me, a plant or other animal has just as much life-force in it as human animals and its the transfer of that energy from one carrier to another (through eating, death, decomposition, etc) that provides the continuity of Life - the circle of Life, I suppose its called.

But thats only me. I recognize that I share this society with many other people, like-minded or otherwise. And we all have various 'moral' compasses. So, because of these different compasses, we will never be able to agree on making laws based on one set of them. Therefor, we have to look at alternatives.

To me, the alternative is the idea of Harm Reduction. Because we will never agree on enforcing one moral code over another, we have to revert to 'what causes the least amount of harm to society' in general. So, which law will cause the least amount of harm? Outlawing abortion altogether (which is of course the ultimate goal of religious right), or protecting the right to an abortion? What are the consequences of each?

In my mind, outlawing abortion will 1) enforce the moral code of one segment of society and 2) result in girls/women attempting to get abortions anyway (as they did before Roe VS Wade), but in unsafe conditions that will result in death, desease, trauma, etc. This isn't fiction - this was what was happening in this country b4 abortion was legalized.

Alternatively, protecting abortion will 1) offend the moral code of one segment of society and 2) prevent the death and disease of the aforementioned point.

To me it seems obvious that in terms of Harm Reduction, protecting the right to abortion is the correct choice. Even though it may very well be morally repugnant to a large segment of the population, in this case we need to look at society at large. And sometimes that means that 13 year old girls get to have an abortion, because the alternative is that she will try to get it done anyway.

And where will that lead?

Thanks for listening - This is Uber Commandante, 33 year old white male, father and husband, signing out. (Full Disclosure).

Uber Commandante Guest
    Thanks, pcteaser!

No one ever gives me a standing ovation.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

chicken_dance0482 Guest
    I have to put in my piece:

i think that abortion is a personal choice, personally, it is not something that i would do but i think that everyone has the right to make their own decision,what was the first thing most of your mothers told you when you started your period? "you are a woman" all women, no matter what age have the maturity to make a decision about whether or not they want to carry a child to term.... also drugs are very easy to get at 13 i smoked pot for the first and only time when i was 13, not to mention all the alcohol i had... i still dont believe oral sex is real sex... sorry, no insertion, no sex.... i do believe that a living thing has rights but i am torn when i consider the human fetus... me personally i think all living things have feelings and a thinking capacity and i very rarely kill any of them (including insects) because of the fact that they are complex beings, also my experience as a 13 year old wasnt long ago... i am but 19 now so i think that i have a perspective close to hers and yes i have matured alot since then but i still remember what it was like.... this is her choice, i dont have to agree with it, i just have to be tolerant...

pcteaser Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    No one ever gives me a standing ovation.
    Why?

911=inside job Guest
    you should be able to abort kids untill they reach the age of 5.... just my 2 cent.... lol

laurabears Guest
    Children should come with a warrenty!