Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Global warming blamed for vanishing lake

Chana3812 Guest

Global warming blamed for vanishing lake

Global warming blamed for vanishing lake
    By EDUARDO GALLARDO, Associated Press WriterTue Jul 3, 4:14 PM ET

Scientists on Tuesday blamed global warming for the disappearance of a glacial lake in remote southern Chile that faded away in just two months, leaving just a crater behind.

The disappearance of the lake in Bernardo O'Higgins National Park was discovered in late May by park rangers, who were stunned to find a 130-foot deep crater where a large lake had been.

After flying over the lake Monday scientists said they were able to draw preliminary conclusions that point to climate change as the leading culprit for the lake's disappearance.

They suggested the melting of nearby glaciers raised the lake's level to the point where the increased water pressure caused part of a glacier acting as a dam to give way. Water in the lake flowed out of the breach, into a nearby fiord and then to the sea, said Andres Rivera, a glaciologist with Chile's Center of Scientific Studies.

Rivera, accompanied by an expert from the Chilean Antarctic Institute, flew over the site in a navy airplane, taking hundreds of photographs.

"On one side of the Bernardo glacier one can see a large hole or gap, and we believe that's where the water flowed through," Rivera said in a navy communique. "This confirms that glaciers in the region are retreating and getting thinner."

He said that the bottom of the vanished lake again has some water, likely from the melting ice.

Similar phenomenon have occurred before in the southern Magallanes region.

As glaciers retreat lakes form behind natural dams of ice or moraine, earth and stones pushed up by a glacier. Those relatively weak dams can be breached suddenly, causing the lake to drain.

The advance and retreat of glaciers is part of the normal dynamics of the Patagonia but climate change was distorting the process, Rivera said.

"This would not be happening if the temperature had not increased," Rivera said.

The navy communique said the missing lake was the smaller of a two-lake system. The larger one remains but at a lower level.

Ah, come on now, that lake is still there. There is no global warming. It's just a myth
    (NOT!)

AuGmENTor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chana3812
    Ah, come on now, that lake is still there. There is no global warming. It's just a myth
    (NOT!)
    But PROVE to us that is directly linkable to the consumption of fossil fuels. And why not disect the source of this like you do to all of mine? (I'm too lazy, *wink wink*)

somebigguy Guest
    I am located geographically near a lake or two, and already this summer they have been plagued by E-Coli warnings or have been closed entirely due to pollution.

I'd love to enjoy a day on the beach, swimming in the lake.

Did global warming (or climate change if you prefer the propagandist's latest term) cause the pollution in this lake? Will a carbon tax resolve the pollution in this lake so that I can enjoy it once again?

How about the affects of GMO, will the Carbon Tax resolve that crisis?

Will the Carbon Tax eliminate the effects of Depleted Uranium in Iraq? How about nuclear waste in general?

Until these government stooges give us a real plan to solve ALL environmental issues, we shouldn't be so willing to believe their propaganda. We've got real issues here, and focusing solely on one specific issue and one pathetic resolution, namely a carbon tax, will get us nowhere. I'd say keep looking.

This is an easy answer by the elite, a piece of low hanging fruit that we an all jump for and feel good about ourselves. THERE ARE NO EASY ANSWERS!!! Demand corporations stop dumping crap in our waterways. Demand that GMO be stopped. Demand the end of the use of DU. Demand the widescale implementation of clean technologies.

Maybe then we can clean up the environment. Or, mindlessly hop on the next scam the scumbag elite send our way, and do NOTHING for the environment.

AuGmENTor Guest

Will the Carbon Tax eliminate the effects of Depleted Uranium in Iraq?
    If you read certain articles by certain scientists, you will see that DU is rapidly becoming a global problem. Predictions are that in a quarter century, there will be traces of it all over the planet. I can't find the link to it, but I know I read it. But I don't hear any of our government officials standing up about that. Just the "safe" topics...

simuvac Guest
    Even if you deny global warming is anthropogenic, that should not justify further increases in the burning of fossil fuels. Burning fossil fuels carries an enormously destructive effect on the environment. 170 million Americans live in places where the air is unfit to breathe, just to offer one example. Also consider the trampling of human rights in countries that possess oil (Iraq, Saudi Arabia, etc.). The deleterious effects of burning fossil fuels are obvious, even if you deny the connection with global warming. Therefore, there is no excuse for our lifestyle. There is no justification. Denying global warming does not change the fact that burning fossil fuels has catastrophic effects.

AuGmENTor Guest
    I agree. The technology exists to end our dependence on fossil fuel, and yet the oil companies want to ride this petrol horse as far into the sunset as they can. And who can blame them? Why introduce a new technology when (that you wont be able to make as much profit on) when you have one that is making you filthy rich?

somebigguy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AuGmENTor
    If you read certain articles by certain scientists, you will see that DU is rapidly becoming a global problem. Predictions are that in a quarter century, there will be traces of it all over the planet. I can't find the link to it, but I know I read it. But I don't hear any of our government officials standing up about that. Just the "safe" topics...
    Yeah, I heard that too, depleted uranium is poisoning the entire globe.

I agree about getting off of fossil fuels as well, alternatives are available, and need to be developed.

somebigguy Guest
    Scientists solve puzzle of Chile's missing lake:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070703/..._uk_chile_lake

According to this article, the water drained through a crack and into the sea. The lake is slowly filling up with water again.

But the corporate media couldn't wait to push the corporate government's latest agenda, that of Global Warming and the end of the world. Gotta keep the public scared, so as to remove any logical thought or discussion.

Chana3812 Guest
    and according to the article (glad people read more than just the headlines) ....

melting glacier ice caused the lake to rise, and caused the crack that caused the lake to drain.

The Bush Administration has done many things to ignore the threat of excessive greenhouse gases. I don't feel like they are terrorising us. It's concerned citizens and celebs that are bringing attention to this matter.

Time will tell .... but then it may be too late to stop the impending disasters.

AuGmENTor Guest
    Ah, and yet not a peep about DU? I would think that is a very pressing matter as it kills everything. Who gives a shit if it gets a bit warmer if we all die of cancerous tumors?