Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: President Bush commutes prison sentence for Lewis 'Scooter' Libby

I dunno.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Article. II./Section. 2.

Clause 1: The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

AuGmENTor Guest
    Huh. Why would those dummies put that in there?

werther Guest
    but that Bush commuted Libby when Bush is connected to the crime is impeachable:

In the [Constitutional] convention George Mason argued that the President might use his pardoning power to "pardon crimes which were advised by himself" or, before indictment or conviction, "to stop inquiry and prevent detection." James Madison responded:

[I]f the President be connected, in any suspicious manner, with any person, and there be grounds [to] believe he will shelter him, the House of Representatives can impeach him; they can remove him if found guilty...
    Madison went on to [say] contrary to his position in the Philadelphia convention, that the President could be suspended when suspected, and his powers would devolve on the Vice President, who could likewise be suspended until impeached and convicted, if he were also suspected.

AuGmENTor Guest
    YEah but who's the third alt? Since we're in dream world (although I just saw on Drudge that sen. Boxer said impeacjment should be on the table.... YAY) lets just say they were both impeached. Who comes next?

werther Guest
    Nancy Pelosi. If Cheney and Bush are impeached simultaneously then the House majority leader gets the job.

AuGmENTor Guest
    Blech. That's what I thought. No happy ending there...

werther Guest
    LOL! yeah in some respects I think we would be better off, but really the only thing I think that can save this country is revolt.