Thread: U.S. Justice Department Investigating Attorney General

U.S. Justice Department Investigating Attorney General

US Justice Department investigating attorney general

http://rawstory.com/news/afp/US_Just..._06152007.html

Published: Friday June 15, 2007

The US justice department is reportedly investigating its own chief, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, to see if he tried to skew testimony over the firings of nine federal prosecutors.

Citing a justice department letter released by the Senate Judiciary Committee, the Washington Post said the department was looking to see whether Gonzales improperly sought to influence the testimony to the committee of his former aide Monica Goodling.

Goodling, questioned by the committee last month over her role in the allegedly politically motivated sacking of the nine prosecutors, testified that Gonzales's remarks in a March discussion with her on the issue left her feeling "a little uncomfortable."

In the discussion Gonzales recounted his recollection of the events surrounding the firings before seeking Goodling's own interpretation, she said.

The Justice Department is looking at Gonzales's behavior in its examination of whether any laws or policies were violated in replacing the attorneys and other officials, according to the Post.

"It's remarkable that he's under investigation and that he's still attorney general," New York University law professor Stephen Gillers told the Post.

On Monday Senate Republicans blocked a Democratic vote of no confidence in besieged Gonzales, a move which sought to raise the pressure for his ouster.

Gonzales has denied the charges that the prosecutors were fired in an effort allegedly coordinated with top White House aides to benefit Bush's Republican party.

Goodling and two other top Justice Department officials have resigned in the scandal.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

beltman713 Guest
    I'm sure they will find he's done nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by beltman713
    I'm sure they will find he's done nothing wrong.
    I'm trying to think of an analogy to express what this reminds me of. So far, I've come up with, "A Mutiny on board a ship", "Telling your boss he's fired", etc... however, I doubt this "investigation" will equal those thoughts.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

beltman713 Guest
    Sort of like our government investigating itself over 9/11.

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    What's next, the oil companies are going to investigate Bush and Cheney for unfair govn't practices in the free market?