Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: FBI Protects Osama Bin Laden's "Right To Privacy" In Document Release

BREAKING NEWS: FBI Protects Osama Bin Laden's "Right To Privacy" In Document Release

FBI PROTECTS OSAMA BIN LADEN’S “RIGHT TO PRIVACY” IN DOCUMENT RELEASE

Actual Document

Judicial Watch Investigation Uncovers FBI Documents Concerning Bin Laden Family and Post-9/11 Flights

(Washington, DC) Judicial Watch, the public interest group that fights government corruption, announced today that it has obtained documents through the Freedom of Information Act (“FOIA”) in which the Federal Bureau of Investigation (“FBI”) has invoked privacy right protections on behalf of al Qaeda terror leader Osama bin Laden. In a September 24, 2003 declassified “Secret” FBI report obtained by Judicial Watch, the FBI invoked Exemption 6 under FOIA law on behalf of bin Laden, which permits the government to withhold all information about U.S. persons in “personnel and medical files and similar files” when the disclosure of such information “would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.” (5 U.S.C. § 552(b)(6) (2000))

Before invoking privacy protections for Osama bin Laden under Exemption 6, the FBI should have conducted a balancing “test” of the public's right to disclosure against the individual's right to privacy. Many of the references in the redacted documents cite publicly available news articles from sources such as The Washington Post and Associated Press. Based on its analysis of the news stories cited in the FBI report, Judicial Watch was able to determine that bin Laden’s name was redacted from the document, including newspaper headlines in the footnoted citations.

“It is dumbfounding that the United States government has placed a higher priority on the supposed privacy rights of Osama bin Laden than the public’s right to know what happened in the days following the September 11 terrorist attacks,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “It is difficult for me to imagine a greater insult to the American people, especially those whose loved ones were murdered by bin Laden on that day.”

The redacted documents were obtained by Judicial Watch under the provisions of the FOIA and through ongoing litigation (Judicial Watch v. Department of Homeland Security & Federal Bureau of Investigation, No. 04-1643 (RWR)). Among the documents was a declassified “Secret” FBI report, dated September 24, 2003, entitled: “Response to October 2003 Vanity Fair Article (Re: [Redacted] Family Departures After 9/11/2001).” Judicial Watch filed its original FOIA request on October 7, 2003. The full text of the report and related documents are available on the Internet by clicking here (Adobe Acrobat Reader required).

© Copyright 1997-2004, Judicial Watch, Inc.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/printer_5286.shtml
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

WhiteGuySaysThis Guest
    I never did get these kind of laws... I mean I am all for privacy but shouldn't there be some exceptions?

Quote Originally Posted by whiteguysaysthis
    I never did get these kind of laws... I mean I am all for privacy but shouldn't there be some exceptions?
    You missed the point of the story my friend...

Basically what this story is saying, is that our Government withheld information from the public regarding Osama Bin Laden, and they did so by claiming his "right to privacy".

WhiteGuySaysThis Guest
    I was talking about cases like the Jackson trial becuse some shit was obtained illegally so it is not allowed to be brought up in court.

Do you give a shit about Osama Bin Laden's "Right To Privacy"? According to our Government, he was the one responsible for 9/11. Why should we care about his privacy?

WhiteGuySaysThis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    Do you give a shit about Osama Bin Laden's "Right To Privacy"?
    Not at all.

I was talking about cases like the Jackson trial becuse some shit was obtained illegally so it is not allowed to be brought up in court.
    A person's "Right To Privacy" goes out the window if they commit a crime. Murder, Rape, Child Molestation, etc...

At least in my opinion.

Provided of course they are found guilty in a courtroom.

Also, let's not forget they're redacting NEWS organizations...

1st Amendment anyone?

somebigguy Guest
    No, the patriot act took everyone's rights away in investigations into terrorism. Except Osama of course.