Bush Hires Ex-9/11 Commissioner As Counsel To The President

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...04503010&EDATE=

Statement By President Bush

WASHINGTON, Jan. 9 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is a statement by President Bush:

I have selected Fred Fielding to serve as Counsel to the President. Fred's exemplary legal career has equipped him with the judgment and expertise necessary to serve in this important position. Fred's distinguished record of public service, including five years as President Reagan's Counsel, makes him uniquely qualified for this position. He served with distinction on the 9/11 Commission, is a senior partner at a leading law firm, and he has earned a strong reputation for integrity. Fred is one of the most well-respected and accomplished lawyers in our Nation, and I look forward to benefiting from his wise counsel. I am pleased that he will once again take up public service in the White House.

Fred is replacing my long-time adviser and good friend, Harriet Miers. Harriet has served as a key member of my team for the last six years, as Counsel, Deputy Chief of Staff, and Staff Secretary. I have greatly valued her sound judgment. Throughout her career, she has devoted herself to the rule of law and the cause of justice, earning a reputation as a talented lawyer dedicated to excellence. Harriet possesses a tireless work ethic and a strong commitment to serving others. Laura and I are deeply grateful for Harriet's dedication and for her friendship. We wish her the very best in the next chapter of her life.