Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iranian President Ahmadinejad's Letter To The American People

AuGmENTor Guest

Its funny how he speaks about what everyone on this board already knows. We live in a country that is owned by corporations, we are lied to by our government, we are treated as subjects, and that most of us are un-aware of our governments plans.

Yeah but is he just saying things like this to gain sympathy? Base is right, they don't exactly rank at the top of the valuing human rights scale. Don't they stone women for being out with too high a moomoo of no veil or something?

AuGmENTor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by casseia
    Regarding the "Israel should be wiped off the map" remark: I've heard that the translation here was pretty damn biased, and what he really said was something along the lines of "Wouldn't it be better if a state like Israel did not exist?" That works for people who think Israel as it is presently constituted is an apartheid state like South Africa used to be, but who don't agree that Israel should be "pushed into the sea."

Regarding the hanging of gays: I'm convinced that Iran has a terrible record vis-a-vis human rights for gay people and, obviously, women. However, what I learned from the build-up to the Iraq war is that the US propaganda machine will shamelessly take advantage of progressive sympathy for gay rights and women's rights. Remember how many times we were told that Saddam's sons just raped any woman they wanted to with impunity? They probably did, but from what I've heard, Iraqi women in general are now much, much less safe from sexual violence than they were when Saddam was running the show. My point is that war is definitely not going to fix these human rights abuses, but the abuses are always used to get people psyched for war.

My own personal jury is still out on Ahmadinejad. My major concern is that for some nefarious reason he's in cahoots with powers in the US that want war -- just a suspicion that creeps up on me from time to time. I do like the fact that both he and the Syrian ambassador have both made a point of addressing the American people directly.
    Heh, I hadn't seen this before I posted. Thank you Casseia. You summed up alot of what I was too stupid to say, as well as answered some questions I had...

werther Guest
    yes good post casseia.

Good Doctor HST Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AuGmENTor
    Yeah but is he just saying things like this to gain sympathy? Base is right, they don't exactly rank at the top of the valuing human rights scale. Don't they stone women for being out with too high a moomoo of no veil or something?
    The supporters of Ahmadinejad routinely chant, "Death to Americans". He never had a problem with it before this open letter. It's my belief that the letter is just a lot of fluff, with the intention of pitting Americans against their government. He's acting in his own best interests. It's a great idea on his part, don't get me wrong, but you've got to see through his bull.

AuGmENTor Guest
    with the intention of pitting Americans against their government
    Yeha thats what I was kinda thinkin. Shit, he could be readin this BB and get all the info he put in there. PG is REALLY THE PRESIDENT OF IRAN!!!!!!!! Sidebar: Welcome back, doc. Where ya been?